VOGONS

First post, by Dant

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

As of late, I have decided that I haven't been much for dealing with most of the hassles of building a DOS and/or Win9x rig from the ground up. (Sad, but true, I just don't really have time for it anymore)

Recently, I have begun looking into IBM's old Thinkpad laptop line, for some good DOS and maybe Win9x compatible desktop replacements.

Currently I have been eyeing an Thinkpad 755CD, in very good condition, and with all of the cables, including the Gameport adapter and the cables for the built-in capture card. Admittedly, though A DX4 is just a little slow for my tastes, not much but just a little.

So considering my other options in other speed ranges, I found it rather interesting how long it seemed IBM wanted to keep some form of SB compatibility, so I present to you the Thinkpad A31, the most powerful laptop with 'supposed' Sound Blaster support IBM, and quite possible anyone else, ever made.

Specs:http://www.thinkwiki.org/wiki/Category:A31p

It uses a Mobile Pentium 4 for it's CPU, which go up to 2.6Ghz if you have the patience and cash to get one that fast.
It will take 2GB of RAM.
There are two modular bays in it, meaning ridiculous configuration options...
There are working drivers in some form for every version of Windows from 95 to Windows 7.

Now the most interesting feature, despite coming from 2002, every specs sheet, review, and what have you seems to claim that the audio hardware in this beast is Sound Blaster Pro compatible.

Personally, I am beginning to dispute this claim.

http://www.thinkwiki.org/wiki/AD1881A
http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc= … 6B0UX_sSoNcAk7Q

Just two links to info on the AC'97 hardware in the A31p. Notice something missing? How about any semblance of Sound Blaster compatibility?

After seeing this, I assumed that the solution was likely some emulation being done on the driver side in Win9x, but with the complete lack of documentation on it, as well as the fact that no one seems to have even tried it...

Being IBM though, I could see them having actually found a way to implement SB-compatibility into this tech...

I realize that the vast majority of you are going to dismiss this based on it's relatively recent tech, but does anyone have any idea as to whether these claims are true or not?

Attachments

• images.jpg
    Filename
    images.jpg
    File size
    5 KiB
    Views
    File comment
    A picture of the A31p.
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 1 of 2, by TheMAN

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

AC97 audio is a completely different architecture and is mostly software based... there is no SB compatibility at all with AC97 audio
furthermore, all older thinkpads and other IBMs used mwave audio, which was a weird beast to say the least

I have a 755C that has no proper 9x drivers for it... the sound drivers is meant for 3.1 and device manager always shows "unknown device", which is the mwave audio

I have a T40 also, and it has AC97 audio... being that it's much newer than the 755C, I have no expectations for any legacy OS or hardware support

I would not get any laptop running a P4... those things run HOT and suck power! I have an HP nx9600 hunk of junk that has a P4 Prescott 2M 640... that thing kept overheating! Needless to say, it sits in the closet
I bet you my T40 with only a crappy Radeon 7500, 1.25GB, and a Pentium M 745 (1.8Ghz) will runs circles around that A31p, or be at least as fast... it's running 7 like those early Atom netbooks, so it's good enough but not fast which is fine for light duty work, like school work (what I use it for)

if I were you, I'd go with a T42p (last model built by IBM), or a T43p (first one built by Lenovo, IBM designed)... way better than that A31p IMO

Reply 2 of 2, by Dant

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
TheMAN wrote:
AC97 audio is a completely different architecture and is mostly software based... there is no SB compatibility at all with AC97 […]
Show full quote

AC97 audio is a completely different architecture and is mostly software based... there is no SB compatibility at all with AC97 audio
furthermore, all older thinkpads and other IBMs used mwave audio, which was a weird beast to say the least

I have a 755C that has no proper 9x drivers for it... the sound drivers is meant for 3.1 and device manager always shows "unknown device", which is the mwave audio

I have a T40 also, and it has AC97 audio... being that it's much newer than the 755C, I have no expectations for any legacy OS or hardware support

I would not get any laptop running a P4... those things run HOT and suck power! I have an HP nx9600 hunk of junk that has a P4 Prescott 2M 640... that thing kept overheating! Needless to say, it sits in the closet
I bet you my T40 with only a crappy Radeon 7500, 1.25GB, and a Pentium M 745 (1.8Ghz) will runs circles around that A31p, or be at least as fast... it's running 7 like those early Atom netbooks, so it's good enough but not fast which is fine for light duty work, like school work (what I use it for)

if I were you, I'd go with a T42p (last model built by IBM), or a T43p (first one built by Lenovo, IBM designed)... way better than that A31p IMO

I realize that AC'97 and the Sound Blaster are completely different animals, but that is exactly why I came asking here, because it didn't make sense why IBM would claim SB compatibility with only AC'97 hardware

Yes, I know about MWave and it's quirks, some of the later 7xx series Thinkpads had ESS chips in them, might to be something to consider.

Yes, anything Netburst based is going to be slow and hot, but based on my experience with a C840 I have here, which has the same chipset and CPU, it doesn't seem that bad.

UPDATE:
I may have found evidence of emulation in the drivers. The only example I can give is in the .INF file for the Windows 98 drivers for a different sound card, that uses the same sound hardware.

This is the .INF string.

Mixer.AddReg]
HKLM,Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run,SystemTray,,"SysTray.Exe"
HKLM,%KEY_IOC%\Vol,,,
HKR, Config, "Language", 1, 00, 00, 00, 00 ; Language
HKR, Config, "Sound Blaster Address", 1, 20, 02, 00, 00
HKR, Config, "Sound Blaster IRQ", 1, 5
HKR, Config, "Sound Blaster DMA", 1, 1
HKR, Config\Mixer, vcpatch,,"0:0,1,2,3 / 1:0,1,2,3"
HKR, Config, "Sound Blaster Emulation", 1, 0

Seems legit...