VOGONS

First post, by Great Hierophant

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

In my 486DX2/66 system I have put in a Sound Blaster Pro 1.0 and a Sound Blaster 16 (CT-1750). The SBPro's gameport seems to work fine for most games, but there is at least one, Another World, that just will not register movement properly no matter how I slow the system down. The same game works with the Sound Blaster 16's joystick properly at the system's default speed.

I read somewhere that the Sound Blaster Pro's gameport was "not 386-aware." I have an IBM Game Port adapter and I assume it would work similarly. The gameport on my multifunction I/O card is even worse as it does not support more than 2 axes/2 buttons.

I have a Sound Blaster 16 PNP whose audio section I could disable to use strictly as a gameport, but that requires loading CTCM in DOS every bootup. Since I have a great fondness for my Pro, (everything works with a Pro) I am not about to replace it. Apparently the 16s have some type of automatic speed compensation.

http://nerdlypleasures.blogspot.com/ - Nerdly Pleasures - My Retro Gaming, Computing & Tech Blog

Reply 1 of 6, by Jepael

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The SB Pro might have separate joystick hardware, made with 558 quad timer and accompanying analog components to make it work. Can you verify this by looking at your card?

It might have incompatible value of timing capacitors, but other than that, it should be as usable as any other joystick hardware made with 558 timer. On my SB they have added a bypass capacitor directly over 558 chip pins, it seems to be a manufacturing-time hack to make it work more reliably.

It should not have any speed compensation though. Only later cards like GUS has that, it only controls the level to compare the timing capacitors. Lower voltage, faster charge time through joystick pot, higher voltage, slower charge time through joystick pot.

Reply 2 of 6, by Great Hierophant

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

All ISA Sound Blasters with the exceptions of those using Vibra chips, have NE558 timers on them. The SB 1.0-2.0 and SB Pro 1.0 use through-hole chips, the SB Pro 2.0 and the 16, AWE32 & AWE64 all use surface mounted chips. Even some early SB Live! cards have the 558.

I think the capacitor bridging the NE558 on your SB is probably a factory reworking to fix an unreliable trace.

http://nerdlypleasures.blogspot.com/ - Nerdly Pleasures - My Retro Gaming, Computing & Tech Blog

Reply 3 of 6, by Malik

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Errmm....is there an option to increase the latency of the 8-bit ISA slot's I/O in the BIOS? Then, if available, does increasing the latency of the 8-bit I/O Recovery Time (I set mine to 8 in my P200 S7 system) solve this problem?

And I also assume that you have tried turning off the "Turbo" button as well as disabling the internal cache too? I had erratic joystick problem when I was using the CH Pro Throttle and F-16 Combat Stick in my P133 system once when I was playing Dynamix's A-10 Tank Killer. Disabling the internal cache helped to run the joystick setup smoothly.

Unfortunately I do not have a SBpro 1.0 to test it out with Out of this World. Perhaps others who have this card may help? I wonder if this problem is present in all SBPro 1.0 cards?

5476332566_7480a12517_t.jpgSB Dos Drivers

Reply 4 of 6, by Great Hierophant

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Malik wrote:

Errmm....is there an option to increase the latency of the 8-bit ISA slot's I/O in the BIOS? Then, if available, does increasing the latency of the 8-bit I/O Recovery Time (I set mine to 8 in my P200 S7 system) solve this problem?

And I also assume that you have tried turning off the "Turbo" button as well as disabling the internal cache too? I had erratic joystick problem when I was using the CH Pro Throttle and F-16 Combat Stick in my P133 system once when I was playing Dynamix's A-10 Tank Killer. Disabling the internal cache helped to run the joystick setup smoothly.

Unfortunately I do not have a SBpro 1.0 to test it out with Out of this World. Perhaps others who have this card may help? I wonder if this problem is present in all SBPro 1.0 cards?

No latency settings in the BIOS.

I think I fixed it by setting the sound rate in the configuration program to 5kHz instead of 10kHz. Lester now seems to move properly.

Reply 5 of 6, by Great Hierophant

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

However, should I speak too soon, Lester's movement is jerky when moving to the right. Using the PC Speaker or No Sound options gives a smoother movement. At Adlib or Sound Blaster 5kHz, it is playable, but at 10kHz, it is not. I will hook up my Disney Sound Source and see whether it is any better.

Reply 6 of 6, by Great Hierophant

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Great Hierophant wrote:

However, should I speak too soon, Lester's movement is jerky when moving to the right. Using the PC Speaker or No Sound options gives a smoother movement. At Adlib or Sound Blaster 5kHz, it is playable, but at 10kHz, it is not. I will hook up my Disney Sound Source and see whether it is any better.

Update : disabling the internal cache eliminates the jerkiness in Lester's movement with the 5kHz Sound Blaster option. 10Khz is still unplayable with joystick.