VOGONS

Retro PC for MS-dos games

Topic actions

Reply 20 of 50, by Filosofia

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I'm keeping to S3 Trio 3D because no problem whatsoever , until now.
But that surely will be helpful on another projects 😉

Does installing win98 on top of dos 6.22 sound wrong? I edit some files in order to have a menu on boot to chose "Previous operating system" when I want to play dos games, or let it load windows otherwise.

BGWG as in Boogie Woogie.

Reply 21 of 50, by Gona

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Installing Win98 on top of MS-DOS 6.22 can be usable, although Win98 will delete some of the MS-DOS 6.22 files (for example scandisk because it is truncates the long filenames). But for DOS gaming the 6.22 boot files and the himem.sys; emm386.exe will be enough.

Video card compatibility matrix for DOS games | ATI3DCIF compatibility matrix | CGL API compatibility matrix

Reply 22 of 50, by elfuego

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Filosofia wrote:

Does installing win98 on top of dos 6.22 sound wrong?

Sounds perfectly fine. I do the same. 2 gigs for DOS FAT16 partition and a basic installation of Win98. Intermediary files that are sometimes but not always needed are on FAT32 partition and everything else either stored on NTFS (win XP) or ReiserFS in Linux. Multi-boot FTW 😎

Reply 23 of 50, by Filosofia

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Cool! I have two HDD on the same IDE channel as they vary mainly in their capacity : the primary master 8GB with 4x2GB FAT16 partitions for Dos games, and a 30GB FAT32 one as slave for the windows 98 games and stuff, don't have XP on this PC.

Another issue regarding graphics:
Can I extend Direct3D capabilities on this PC by switching the Trio 3D for a 8MB Savage4? I see here http://www.anandtech.com/show/291 that Anandtech tests where the minimum Celeron 266, the 200MMX should be similar right?

Pentium-MMX 200MHz
32MB SDRAM
Voodoo 4MB

Thanks

Reply 24 of 50, by Gona

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I have not tested Direct3D and OpenGL on Savage4 on MMX200.
As I see on AnandTech Savage4 OpenGL CPU Scaling, the MMX200 is not the best for Savage4, but still much better than Trio3D (because the basic 3D capability of Trio3D). And Savage4 has also perfect DOS compatibility as Trio3D has. On MMX200 on 640x480 maybe Voodoo1 will outperform the Savage4 maybe not, that is the question.
Anyhow if you have or can get a Savage4 for cheap, I can recommend you because in the most Direct3D game you can select between the primary video/3D card and the addon Voodoo card (unlike the also addon PowerVR PCX2 card), so you can not lose with this duo.
And Savage4 have own, property 3D API: MeTaL.
So your machine will be capable Direct3D; OpenGL; Glide and MeTaL (Direct3D and OpenGL by both cards).

Video card compatibility matrix for DOS games | ATI3DCIF compatibility matrix | CGL API compatibility matrix

Reply 25 of 50, by Filosofia

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

And maybe I can play a very decent Unreal and even watch some DVD on this Pentium-MMX 200MHz 🤣!

Very difficult to find games for the S3TC, only so far:

Quake 3 Arena + games on its engine (Heavy Metal F.A.K.K. 2, Star Trek: Elite Force ),
Unreal Tournament, Soldier Of Fortune.

Reply 26 of 50, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Unreal isn't going to run very well on that CPU. I don't go below a PII for it.

You should go to Mobygames and dig through 1996-7 games. POD, XvT, Bladerunner, Jedi Knight, Wing Commander Prophecy and Shadows of the Empire come to mind.

Reply 27 of 50, by Filosofia

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
swaaye wrote:

Unreal isn't going to run very well on that CPU. I don't go below a PII for it.

You should go to Mobygames and dig through 1996-7 games. POD, XvT, Bladerunner, Jedi Knight, Wing Commander Prophecy and Shadows of the Empire come to mind.

I was thinking about S3TC version of Unreal, going to give it a try anyway out of curiosity, but thanks for the games 😉 defintly going to try them out also.

Reply 29 of 50, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Filosofia wrote:

The Cyrix it shall be then!
I realy like the fact is has a lower 150MHz clock for older games, but at the same time a higher FSB than a Pentium 166MMX or 200MMX, otoh no MMX and poor FPU

Did somebody say CYRIX? How does a Cyrix MediaGX sound for this project? The GXm's had MMX and my preliminary tests indicate they are unlocked for 5x, 6x, 7x, 8x, and 9x multipliers. The board at least turned on at 150 - 300 MHz with the same CPU. It even requires a motherboard with a Cyrix Cx5530 chipset.

Plan your life wisely, you'll be dead before you know it.

Reply 30 of 50, by Filosofia

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

The only one I have is a Cyrix 6x86-200 at factory 2x75MHz FSB, no MMX for this baby, so for now I'm using Pentium-MMX 166.
Also have a C6 at 240MHz, they all work on the Soyo 5EMA+, but the Pentium works like a charm, it is fantastic for only 166MHz!

Having some trouble POSTing some times with S3 Savage4 so I did put back in the 4MB Trio3D, I only need it for 2D so it's fine.

Reply 31 of 50, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

If the Winchip C6-240 is similar to the Winchip2-240, its Quake 1 & 2 scores are similar to the Pentium 166 MMX. I personally prefer to use less common CPU's.

Plan your life wisely, you'll be dead before you know it.

Reply 32 of 50, by 3DfxNerd

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

if you don't already have a case, this would make a great retro case:
http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Ite … N82E16811121010
there was a beige version but I couldn't find it now 🙁 I should have bought the beige one while I could, but $60 I did not have.

Insert creative signature here.

Reply 33 of 50, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Filosofia wrote:

Does installing win98 on top of dos 6.22 sound wrong? I edit some files in order to have a menu on boot to chose "Previous operating system" when I want to play dos games, or let it load windows otherwise.

IMO it's not necessary as W98 comes with MS -DOS 7.1 and all the files needed to play DOS Games.

In fact I did the opposite.

I installed W98SE (I installed it on a fresh partition into C:\DOS), edited MSDOS.SYS so it would hide the splash screen and always go straight into DOS.

Then copied all the files from the COMMAND folder into C:\DOS and then deleted all the sub-folders inside Windows.

I now have MS-DOS 7.1 with FAT32 support on a 16GB CF card and it works beautifully.

If you want to use W98, seriously just boot into MS-DOS Mode or turn on the Boot menu so you can choose between MS-DOS 7.1 or Windows at every boot.

My website with reviews, demos, drivers, tutorials and more...
My YouTube channel

Reply 34 of 50, by Filosofia

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

@3DfxNerd it is indeed a very well chosen case, a little thin for my taste, but excellent in every other aspects. I have a 1997 beige ATX no-brand case 3mm thick that suits me better, but that case would probably be my choice too.

@Mau1wurf1977 You mean it's that easy? All my games can use dos 7.1 without issues?
Why does so many people go dual boot?

Reply 35 of 50, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Yes just shut down and select MS-DOS Mode. Now you are in MS-DOS 7.1 😀

Sometimes it's a bit tricky to get Sound cards going and have them use the correct IRQ and all of that, but nothing that isn't solvable.

I guess many people aren't aware of MS-DOS mode?

My YouTube channel

Reply 36 of 50, by 3DfxNerd

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

people dual boot because its always nice to have an authentic DOS 6.22 install instead of having to boot windows then switch to dos mode...

but you can edit MSDOS.SYS to not automaticly load windows, then just run C:\WINDOWS\WIN.COM when you want to start windows

Reply 37 of 50, by Filosofia

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

🤣! this is wonderful 😀 The research I made is not lost and my dual boot is already set, but I do like to keep things simple if I can. How's that with IRQs for the sound cards? Is it any different from setting the BLASTER environment? What changes?

Reply 38 of 50, by 3DfxNerd

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

the default sound blaster 16 IRQs are always wrong for me, they never work. just change the numbers until it starts working properly.

Reply 39 of 50, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Filosofia wrote:

🤣! this is wonderful 😀 The research I made is not lost and my dual boot is already set, but I do like to keep things simple if I can. How's that with IRQs for the sound cards? Is it any different from setting the BLASTER environment? What changes?

It's been a while, but I believe you have configure the resources inside Windows. Through Device Manager likely.

You want address 220, Interrupt 7, Low DMA 1 and High DMA 5. MIDI at 330.

My YouTube channel