VOGONS

First post, by Robin4

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Hi,

Iam really doubt what iam going to do with the soundcard for a pentium 1 rig.
Mostly what iam going to do is playing windows 95 / 98 games on it.. And sometimes it needs to compatible with dos too..

Would i getting any benefit from a Wavatable board under these conditions?
My other concern is that i dont want to much pci cards get installed.

The board iam going to use is a tyan S1590S. It has 1 x AGP, 4 pci (one shared) and 4 ISA(one shared)

Iam planning to use Diamond Fustion AGP in it.. (would 2x voodoo 2 SLI be useless?) I can also put a Diamond savage in it instead of de Diamond fusion.
I also hope that i can get a USB 2.0 card working in this system

I think that ill getting to much pci cards in it, and almost none ISA cards..

What should you recommend for a PCI and ISA option..

I have here 2 AWE64 gold.. I can sound good, only cons are the simm upgrades for this card, then i need to buy a simmconn thing i really dont like..
I have 1 monstersound MX200 and a MX300.. they are no bad cards. But iam not a really fan of it. Maybe other options?

~ At least it can do black and white~

Reply 1 of 2, by Filosofia

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Those MX sound very good, could not find anything about legacy support, but these Yamaha PCI sound cards are very cool if your mboard has a PC-PCI conector (also known as SB-Link) for DOS legacy support by hardware, and you can load your own set of instruments because it uses RAM to store them. OTOH too much of PCI add-on cards will stress the chipset and it can even slow the PC down, so you could try the AWE Gold.

No matter what the Pentium is I wouldn't bother with a SLI setup other than for higher resolution capability, even a single Voodoo2 would not be a significant advantage over a Voodoo 1 unless you're seriously overclocking the CPU.

The original voodoo is the best choice for a Pentium, go for a Voodoo2 only on a PentiumII, particularly if you got a Deschutes or higher FSB CPU.

Sorry mate don't know what a wavetable is, I do have a soundcard with a wavetable connector, just don't know what it is for. (yet)
Good luck 😉

BGWG as in Boogie Woogie.

Reply 2 of 2, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Monster Sound MX300 is Vortex 2 so that is a great Win9x sound card. MX200 is its predecessor and is nice too, plus if it's really a MX200 it has a 4MB MIDI daughtercard with Roland samples. Both of these support A3D, but the MX200 is only A3D 1.x. Neither are ideal for DOS games but the MX300 is the better of the two with its generally usable SBPro support. The Monster Sound/M80/MX200 can only do DOS in a Win9x DOS box AFAIK.

AWE64 is basically an AWE32 so you can use the AWE32 or SB16 options in DOS games. Depending on your system BIOS, you may need Creative's ISA PNP setup util to set up IRQ/DMA/Port of this PNP card. It's a decent DOS choice. Its main issue is, like AWE32, it needs AWEUTIL to emulate General MIDI if you want MIDI from a game that lacks native AWE32 support. BTW, as far as I am aware there is no utility to load soundfonts in DOS, but you can load them in Windows and play DOS games in Win9x if you want to. Typically in DOS you use the sample ROM instead.