VOGONS

First post, by WolfpupNX

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hey all,

So I'm working with an old rig I'm setting up to play some older DOS (and eventually Windows 95) games that I miss. =)

I've got it mostly working - first game I'm looking to play is Wing Commander I. The MIDI is decent as is, but I know it can be a little better, so I got myself an DB60XG daughterboard (clone made by NEC specifically).

My first problem is the fit is...odd. Most pictures I've seen show daughterboards run parallel to the card quite nicely. This runs vertical, and there's no way the case will be able to close (but the pins seem correct, and it is definitely a WaveBlaster port). At any rate, it does plug in okay.

Unfortunately, the card doesn't appear to *do* anything. I'm using ESSCFG.EXE as my DOS driver, and sound works fine, but I'm hearing no difference at all with or without the board, so I don't think it's working, and I see no way to initialize it (as from what I'm reading, these don't require drivers). Any ideas what might be wrong?

Also, can someone verify something - can you use the joystick port while there's a card in the WaveBlaster slot? I read somewhere that at least on SoundBlasters, it's either/or. (I did try it without a joystick to see and it didn't seem to make a difference).

Thanks for any help!

Reply 2 of 5, by elianda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

It would be better to check with a simple Midi player.
Also Wing Commander uses MT-32 and not General Midi and it also requires an 'intelligent MPU-401' interface. So it is probably not working with your daughterboard on the ESS.

Retronn.de - Vintage Hardware Gallery, Drivers, Guides, Videos. Now with file search
Youtube Channel
FTP Server - Driver Archive and more
DVI2PCIe alignment and 2D image quality measurement tool

Reply 3 of 5, by nforce4max

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

It is always best to have a small collection of isa sound cards on hand in case things don't work the first or second time around. Can you upload a pic by chance of your card? Try Hexen and see if it works or not.

On a far away planet reading your posts in the year 10,191.

Reply 4 of 5, by WolfpupNX

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks for the feedback all!

Pic of the card attached. Notice the weird spot for the WaveBlaster connector.

I'm also waiting for a YMF719B-S to get hear, since I've heard good things on here and decided to go for it, so I am slowly assembling a card collection (have a SB16 as well, though it doesn't support WaveBlaster and is Vibra-based)!

Could you explain what constitutes an "intelligent MPU-401" interface? I never used daughterboards back in the day, so this is all new to me.

Thanks for the tips re a general midi player/Hexen - I'll have to give those a shot (possibly waiting til the Yamaha is in since I'd prefer something that fits anyways, though I may play around with this a bit until it does). [/img]

Attachments