VOGONS

First post, by mills26

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi everybody

I might be able to get back my old IBM ps/2 model 30 and I wanted to ask some questions.

The old PC looks just like this one:

IBM-PS2.JPG

Specs are:

CPU: 8086 - 8 Mhz
RAM: 640 kb
Graphics: on board MCGA

I want to use it to play games, so I wonder if I could improve it a little bit.

Could I connect an Adlib sound card and a VGA into it?
And what about RAM and CPU?. Could I get a 286 or 386 and 2MB of ram, and connect them in to the mother board?

EDIT: games working on 8086 8 Mhz and VGA.
(some played by me long time ago, others tested by some guy in another forum):

- Prince of persia MCGA-VGA(this worked perfect, I used to play it)
- Pinball dreams (Not full speed, anyway it is playable)
- Another world MCGA-VGA (PC speaker is very slow, needs soundcard to play sound)
- Xenon II - Megablast
- Civilization
- Cobra mission
- lucas games:
Monkey Island MCGA-VGA
Indiana jones and the last crusade MCGA-VGA(a bit slow)
Monkey Island 2 EGA and VGA (a bit slow)
Maniac Mansion MCGA-VGA
Day of the Tentacle and Sam&Max (slow, need 570K of conventional memory and 2Mb of EMS memory).

- Winter/Summer challenge MCGA-VGA (a bit slow)
- Sky or Die
- Titus the Fox
- Golden Axe
- Double Dragon
- Dangerous Dave
- Home Alone (a bit slow)
- Super off road
- All games using EGA

Thanks a lot!

Last edited by mills26 on 2012-08-17, 15:59. Edited 7 times in total.

Reply 1 of 10, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
mills26 wrote:

Is the MCGA really integrated inside the mother board?

Where else would it be?

Could I connect an Adlib sound card and a VGA into it?

It would have to be an 8-bit ISA VGA card.

And what about RAM and CPU?. Could I get a 286 or 386 and 2MB of ram, and connect them in to the mother board?

Definitely not. Also, there would not be much point to getting 2 MB of RAM without a 386.

Besides, what's the point of making such large alterations to a Model 30? If you want a Model 30, then stick with the original processor and RAM. If you think the original processor and RAM are inadequate, then don't get a Model 30.

There are some models of Model 30 with a 286 chip, apparently, but they are explicitly called the Model 30-286, it seems.

Reply 3 of 10, by mills26

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks for answering

Jorpho wrote:

Besides, what's the point of making such large alterations to a Model 30? If you want a Model 30, then stick with the original processor and RAM.

Well it was my old pc, i gave it to a neighbour long time ago, and now i'm thinking of bringing it home again 😀. I just thought it would be like the other model 30 IBM's, and I could change the ram and the cpu to use as MS-DOS machine.

So vga is ok, but, how many cards can i connect? will it have room for a vga and an adlib card at the same time?

Reply 4 of 10, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
mills26 wrote:

I just thought it would be like the other model 30 IBM's, and I could change the ram and the cpu to use as MS-DOS machine.

Do you mean you can't use it as an MS-DOS machine as it is?

Reply 5 of 10, by mills26

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Jorpho wrote:

Do you mean you can't use it as an MS-DOS machine as it is?

😊 no.. I wanted to play games that require a 286 or 386 cpu to play OK. like Day of the tentacle, wolfstein 3d.. etc

Reply 6 of 10, by jmrydholm

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

That's awesome, my family had the model 25 when I was little. I vividly remember playing Chagunitzu, LHX Attack Chopper, Earl Weaver's baseball and X-Men on it. I tried very hard to get Mega Man to work, but ours only had 512K RAM. We didn't get a 2nd floppy drive either. I used it until 2000 when the monitor burned out. I still have "Freddy's Rescue Roundup" from the IBM Entertainment Disk.

"The height of strategy, is to attack your opponent’s strategy” -Sun Tzu
“Make your fighting stance, your everyday stance and make your everyday stance, your fighting stance.” - Musashi
SET BLASTER = A220 I5 D1 T3 P330 E620 OMG WTF BBQ

Reply 7 of 10, by mills26

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
jmrydholm wrote:

That's awesome, my family had the model 25 when I was little... I used it until 2000 when the monitor burned out.

I think you can use it with a modern monitor, if it uses an vga connector:
vga.jpg

If I'm wrong, somebody tell me, because I wanted to use my model 30 with a modern TV.

Last edited by mills26 on 2012-08-18, 10:06. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 8 of 10, by Anonymous Coward

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Model 30 is pretty much top of the line as far as 8086 systems go. However, you can squeeze a little more juice out of it by overclocking to 10MHz and swapping out the 8086 CPU with an NEC V30.
As you already have an EMS memory board with 2MB, I think that is more than enough to run basically anything that would support an 8086 as the minimum requirement.
You can do all sorts of things with the model 30 and 25. There was some guy on vintage-computer that was really crazy about this model 25 8086 and upgraded the hell out of it. (large HDD, overclock, VGA card etc).

Another possible route would be swapping the 8086 planar with a "Reply" board. This company made replacement boards for certain PS/2 systems. However, they are probably quite rare (and expensive). Apparently there was a 486DX board available for the model 30.

"Will the highways on the internets become more few?" -Gee Dubya
V'Ger XT|Upgraded AT|Ultimate 386|Super VL/EISA 486|SMP VL/EISA Pentium

Reply 9 of 10, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
mills26 wrote:

If I'm wrong, somebody tell me, because I wanted to use my model 30 with a modern TV.

If I am not mistaken, the connector you are showing is only useful for very specific video cards that are capable of specifically outputting S-Video or composite through their VGA port. Except I've never actually heard of any video card that can do this, and I find it exectionally unlikely that this feature would be standard on a Model 30.

There are adapters that can change VGA to S-Video or composite, but they're sort of expensive.
http://www.monoprice.com/products/subdepartme … 4&cs_id=1011407

You can also try to find an ISA VGA card that can output S-Video or composite, but I don't think it would be very easy.

Reply 10 of 10, by mills26

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Well, thanks for answering.

I won't be able to get the computer... So I decided to look for another one to buy.

I'm now thinking of a 486 machine, are there any compact or "mini" 486 pc`s or motherboards?