VOGONS

Asus P3V133

Topic actions

First post, by senrew

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I've done some searching and it looks like the only posts that even mention this board were started by me. Does anyone have any experience with this board?

As I said in earlier threads, I got this from a former coworker, loaded with the following at the moment:

Asus P3V133
Coppermine P3 933/256k/133fsb/1.7v Slot 1
512mb pc133
GeForce4 MX 4000
Sound Blaster Live! (CT-4760)

It's got a VIA Apollo Pro 133 chipset on it, 4 PCI, 3 ISA (one of the slots is either/or), 3 DIMM slots for up to 768MB RAM, AGP 2x, so on paper, it's pretty beastly.

The Manual for it is here: http://dlcdnet.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/slot1/pro … /p3v133-102.pdf

I'm going to try and resurrect this setup from the hell I was having with the cold boots issue. I've sort of inspected the board for messed up caps and such, but I'll give it a better look sometime tomorrow when I have some free time.

So, my question is, does anyone else have or use this board for gaming of any kind? I'd like to try and get it setup again for Win98 gaming.

Reply 2 of 5, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

It must be pretty obscure. I can't find a single review of this board on any of the tech sites that were around when it was released. There's a bit of forum chatter, bit no in depth reviews that I can find unless my eyes are getting bad and I glossed over one or two.

Reply 3 of 5, by senrew

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

That's...intriguing. Are there any standard benchmarks or other such testing that we as a community normally run when we come across a board as seemingly obscure as this one? I'd love to be able to contribute if I do have something rare within our own environment.

As for setting it up, I spent most of Saturday going through some of my older machines, including a Performa 631CD that I have for older mac stuff. This Win98 machine actually installed perfectly fine on the first try as opposed to the issues I've had with it in the past. I don't have a NIC in it, as I want to keep it as stray-update free as possible. I've got I think DX7c? on it as the newest version. I don't think the GeForce4 MX4000 I have in it will support anything newer. The only other updates are whatever happened to be on disc for the few games I've installed.

Reply 5 of 5, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Dan's Data is an Australian site, so it's possible that this board may be an Asia/Australia only release. That might explain why the North American and European sites don't have anything about it. It's really difficult to give or get advice on a board that wasn't widely circulated, if that is indeed the case.

Dan's makes a valid point about it having too many legacy ISA slots, though. By the time you got to the Pentium III era, everything you could want was pretty much ported over to PCI already so ISA slots just took up a lot of board space that other manufacturers were populating with additional PCI slots.That might also be a reason why information on these boards is sparse, nobody really bought them because of the lack of the same number of PCI slots as competing boards. That would be a big disadvantage for Asus selling a board with only 4 PCI slots when everyone else had 5 or 6.