http://www.ebay.com/itm/M-TECH-SOCKET-7-MOTHE … #ht_3000wt_1348

"Will the highways on the internets become more few?" -Gee Dubya
V'Ger XT|Upgraded AT|Ultimate 386|Super VL/EISA 486|SMP VL/EISA Pentium

Reply 1 of 12, by elianda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Yeah but ridiculous pricing and you need 8 identical SIMMs to fill one bank.
Seems to be SIS5513 chipset.

Retronn.de - Vintage Hardware Gallery, Drivers, Guides, Videos. Now with file search
Youtube Channel
FTP Server - Driver Archive and more
DVI2PCIe alignment and 2D image quality measurement tool

Reply 5 of 12, by elianda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
nforce4max wrote:

Wow its been a Long time since I last seen one of those. Can only imagine just how slow it must be 😮

Not really slower than plugging 70 ns PS/2 FPM.
But it is much cheaper since you can use your old SIMMs.

Retronn.de - Vintage Hardware Gallery, Drivers, Guides, Videos. Now with file search
Youtube Channel
FTP Server - Driver Archive and more
DVI2PCIe alignment and 2D image quality measurement tool

Reply 8 of 12, by Malik

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I like the layout of the board. And it has separated ISA and PCI slots. But I would have preferred the estate used for the 30-pin simm banks be used for other purposes on a S7 board - for e.g. an additional PCI slot (if possible) and increase the on-board cache chips perhaps.

And of course, it is expensive. Disproportionately expensive.

5476332566_7480a12517_t.jpgSB Dos Drivers

Reply 11 of 12, by Anonymous Coward

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Maybe it's Socket 5, though my understanding was that Socket 5 only went up to P133. Was split rail voltage a requirement for socket 7? I don't believe it was, because socket 7 existed before MMX chips came out. I believe socket 7 boards simply provide more current to the CPU. Strangely enough, this board claims support for a 5/3.3V split rail CPU. I wonder if it's merely a typo, since no such CPU exists. Socket 7 split rail was *normally* 2.x/3.3v.

It appears that this board has support for either pipeline burst cache or traditional async chips, probably so you could migrate them from your 486 motherboard. I guess it was a pretty good idea, but if this board was anything like my M-tech "Mustang" M534F (SIS 5571), it must have been a real pile of dog shit.

"Will the highways on the internets become more few?" -Gee Dubya
V'Ger XT|Upgraded AT|Ultimate 386|Super VL/EISA 486|SMP VL/EISA Pentium

Reply 12 of 12, by epicbrad

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

This board really just appears to be for 486 upgraders really. Nobody else would buy them.

It would be a sales push shop upgrade vs a new computer with more sales margin I'd say due to more labor involved rather than lower slapstick parts margins for whole low cost systems.

But seriously - I had a socket 5 P75 machine that would run circles around this thing with proper cache and better graphics.