VOGONS

Best Fanless AGP/PCI Graphics Card

Topic actions

Reply 60 of 81, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

The guide found here provides a method to determine if the memory interface an a graphic card is 64, 128, or 256 bit.
http://www.playtool.com/pages/vramwidth/width.html

The objective is not to get suckered into those low-cost 64-bit cards. Usually such budget cards don't publish their memory bus width information.

Plan your life wisely, you'll be dead before you know it.

Reply 61 of 81, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Does anyone know why the PCI version of the GeForce 6200 has its core clocked at 300 MHz, whereas the AGP version of the same card is default at 350 MHz? Will upclocking the PCI version to 350 MHz cause it to choke in fanless mode?

What's the best stable memory and core frequencies these 6200's can be overclocked to if a small fan is added?

Reply 62 of 81, by nforce4max

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
feipoa wrote:

Does anyone know why the PCI version of the GeForce 6200 has its core clocked at 300 MHz, whereas the AGP version of the same card is default at 350 MHz? Will upclocking the PCI version to 350 MHz cause it to choke in fanless mode?

What's the best stable memory and core frequencies these 6200's can be overclocked to if a small fan is added?

I don't have one on hand but thermals are not likely to become a huge problem with only a small 50mhz bump. The part that one should worry is the power consumption and the limit of the pci slot.

There looks to be some single slot 6200 pci cards on amazon, there is also a GT520 and a GT430. You can add a fan near the card if you want to stay single slot only.

On a far away planet reading your posts in the year 10,191.

Reply 63 of 81, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
feipoa wrote:

Are you sure the 350mhz card isn't a turbocache or overclocked model? Those are the only ones I have found with that clock speed.

According to this the regular, non-overclocked 6200 is clocked the same in AGP and PCI form

http://www.gpureview.com/show_cards.php?card1=192&card2=437

Reply 64 of 81, by JaNoZ

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

GF4 MX4000 PCI is a lovely card, i wish i had one. i believe better video hardware support compared to the MX440 etc.

Lets not forget the Radeon HD 4350 PCI Edition
http://www.club-3d.com/index.php/products/rea … ci-edition.html
or Radeon HD 5450 PCI Edition
http://www.club-3d.com/index.php/products/rea … ss-edition.html
PowerColor Go! Green HD5450 512MB DDR2 PCI
http://www.powercolor.com/us/products_feature … 6#Specification

I love the HIS HD5450 the best as it is the DDR3 version of PCI:
http://www.hisdigital.com/gb/product2-580.shtml

Drool.... i love ATI and (AMD)

And there are AGP to PCI converters

Reply 65 of 81, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
sliderider wrote:

Are you sure the 350mhz card isn't a turbocache or overclocked model? Those are the only ones I have found with that clock speed.

One card is an eVGA GeForce 6200 512-A8-N403-LR, the other is an eVGA GeForce 6200LE 256-A8-N295-DX. The GPU-Z and Everest Home results for both cards are the same, so I am not sure what performance hit the "LE" has over the other. I don't see any mention of turbo cache in the eVGA specification sheets. http://www.evga.com/support/specs/default.asp … ce%206%20Series

The eVGA website does contradict the specification sheet though. On this website, the core is listed as 350 MHz, whereas the spec sheet lists it as 300 MHz.
http://eu.evga.com/products/moreInfo.asp?pn=512-A8-N403-LR

NVTweak also lists the cards as 350 MHz in the "non-overclocked" position.

Reply 66 of 81, by NitroX infinity

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Specs for low-end cards were not that reliable in those days. I remember my sapphire Radeon 9250 with a memoryclock of 166MHz even though it said on the website 200MHz.

NitroX infinity's 3D Accelerators Arena | Yamaha RPA YGV611 & RPA2 YGV612 Info

Reply 67 of 81, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

fyi
Turbocache is a PCI Express function. ATI calls this Hypermemory. These feature names show up on the ultra budget cards. The video card has a small (and slow) amount of local RAM and supplements it with system RAM usage. What it really is is a way to make cards even cheaper (less RAM and less RAM bus width). It's AGP-like but more flexible because PCIe has much more bidirectional performance.

In fact all PCIe video cards have this same system RAM access but they prioritize their local RAM because it is far faster.

Reply 68 of 81, by gerwin

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
JaNoZ wrote:

GF4 MX4000 PCI is a lovely card, i wish i had one. i believe better video hardware support compared to the MX440 etc.

I remember it to be almost identical to a MX 440-8x with 64-bit memory. Some are told to have 32-bit memory. Back then I concluded to ignore any MX 4000.
XFX GEFORCE MX 4000 REVIEW

--> ISA Soundcard Overview // Doom MBF 2.04 // SetMul

Reply 70 of 81, by archsan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Not PCI or AGP, but looks pretty nifty:

okcq5k.jpg

For a moment there I thought I was looking at some miniITX heatsink-case mod work in progress ...

Oh, forgot to add it's a Powercolor HD 6850 SCS3.

Reply 71 of 81, by JaNoZ

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

thats insane, looks like a central heating.
where are those times that cpu and gpu did not need extra heavy metal too keep them cool and working.
i think one of the last non sink typer were the g200 an savage3d etc

Reply 72 of 81, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I've never understood those big radiators on video cards because all they do is dump the heat into the case and then you need a more powerful case fan to vent it. The noise and power usage you save not having a video card fan is made up by the bigger, louder, more powerful case fan. You also lose the use of a PCI slot when you use one of those. The only real advantage I can see is not having to worry about frying your video card if the onboard fan fails.

Reply 73 of 81, by nforce4max

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
sliderider wrote:

I've never understood those big radiators on video cards because all they do is dump the heat into the case and then you need a more powerful case fan to vent it. The noise and power usage you save not having a video card fan is made up by the bigger, louder, more powerful case fan. You also lose the use of a PCI slot when you use one of those. The only real advantage I can see is not having to worry about frying your video card if the onboard fan fails.

Agreed and it allows the card to overheat with the vram and power vrm to run at very high temps. People don't realize just how easy it is for those vrm phases to quickly go over 100c. The highest that I have seen on some cards was up to 163c 😳

On a far away planet reading your posts in the year 10,191.

Reply 75 of 81, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I like that card, though I'd put a fan on it (even if it wastes some PCI slots).
Such a card has to be ventilated very well or it will overheat and indeed, you'd need lots of case cooling for this.
But that shouldn't be a problem with modern cases though, these often have 2 or more 12cm fans.

I think archsan's card is interesting in a way.

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 76 of 81, by archsan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

You guys are right, full passive-cooling is only practical for low-heat chips. If meant for gaming/3D, at full load that card will still need a fan (a quiet, low RPM 12cm fan might do) -- and then it will have very good air-cooled temps. more on that here. For fanless purposes, a GPU probably should stay under 30W max load (no living room-size rads allowed).

edit:

Tetrium wrote:

I think archsan's card is interesting in a way.

I wish that was mine 😁 but i'm hooked on the 7770/7750 series. Will be watching at least another round (HD 8xxx) for that ultimate low-power XP/DX9 card.

Btw, what's the latest AGP card available? HD 5670?

Reply 77 of 81, by JaNoZ

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

does that even exist 5670 agp.
the 4670 agp should be latest and the 3850 agp the fastest.
4670 is around the same speed as 3850 but with a real fast cpu on a agp board and high res the 3850 owns it.
but the 4670 his has native hdmi with sound but you have to have bios supporting 2 irqs on the agp slot or hack its bios to use sound over hdmi.

btw lets not forget the bitchin fast 3d card. if only the prototype was not scrapped back then...

Last edited by JaNoZ on 2012-12-12, 21:53. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 79 of 81, by maverick85

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I'm looking for a passive nVidia gpu which is a step below the 6xxx series

ASRock 98
Win98SE Desktop
ASRock
Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 3.0GHz
1 x 512MB 667 MHz DDR2
Soundblaster SB0100 + Altec Lansing ADA885
ATi Radeon X800XT 256MB GDDR3