VOGONS

First post, by epicbrad

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I currently have QEMM 7.04 installed.

I keep getting boot error messages when it loads up drivers, and when I try to load up XtreeGold 4.0 (It says Terminate or Reboot)

For my ES1371 based PCI card - when it loads SBINIT - MOST of the time it will just state SB PCI port 6000 IRQ11 and the cursor will just blink. It won't load. This is on a reset switch boot or a cold boot. There are some times it will just load at will. This beats me for logic. I'm a logical guy - I hate it when stuff like this doesn't make any sense, I want to grab a hammer and beat it to bits for satisfaction..... But knowingly the challenge of solving this will be greater.

I was finishing my 486 project, and decided to drop in a PCI ES1371 card so I could then get the 8mb PCI Waveset running in RAM using drivers from Malik's link (Thanks Malik!) But then I installed QEMM = everything went to balls.

So you can imagine my frustration trying to work around it.

The 486 I have set up is

mb-8433uud-a ver 3.1
32MB ram (Double sided PCB populated)
PCI Cirrus logic 2mb card (GD54xx series if I recall correctly)
540mb hard disk
Dos 6.22
QEMM 7.04
I load the freedos CD drivers (I think...or it might be from Hiren's boot cd)
I load smartdrv
My com port used to work now it doesn't (I'll work that out later) as mouse won't detect

I had an SB16 in it working beautifully! But I'm not a fan of the OPL / FM sound it produces myself for later made games specifically when they can use General Midi wavetable from the 8mb patch. soo much better.

If I'm going to listen to the silpheed title screen. I want it to kick ass as much as possible. Or when I play doom - I want it to have chunky bass kicks, and much better MIDI.

Would QEMM 8 yield any better results?

I keep this as a pure dos machine and that only.

Could the ES1371 be faulty? a lot of machines tend not to like it for some reason. I tried an ES1370 Based card - it didn't even detect at all at SBINIT !!!!?!?? But this was a trash find so it's probably just dead.

I really hate it when I encounter these problems for my 486 setups - makes me want to whip out a K6-2 or an early PII and just run from Win98SE but - I just want 486 nostalgia without the PII sticker!

One last thing

slightly off topic but I'd like to bring it into this thread

PCI based YMF724-V - This also appears to hang when I've tried to load it on multiple 486 systems, and instead of kick ass Midi blasting out - I get really crappy FM style adlib sound (WTF?) I thought the YMF724 was an absolute killer? Or do I need to use it under windows to get wavetable not DOS?

thanks.

Brad.

Attachments

• Filename
    2012-08-22 22.20.13.jpg
    File size
    1.82 MiB
    Downloads
    111 downloads
    File comment
    SBINIT dying in the ass.
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception
  • Filename
    2012-08-22 22.16.58.jpg
    File size
    2.55 MiB
    Downloads
    105 downloads
    File comment
    Feel free to make suggestions
    File license
  • Filename
    2012-08-22 22.16.44.jpg
    File size
    2.4 MiB
    Downloads
    108 downloads
    File comment
    Feel free to make suggestions
    File license
  • Filename
    2012-08-22 22.15.54.jpg
    File size
    2.06 MiB
    Downloads
    110 downloads
    File comment
    WHY FFS is it loading past the usual hang point - but doing an intgr err?
    File license

Reply 1 of 8, by MaxWar

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Ive never tried PCI sound cards in pure DOS but ive been led to believe it is a bad idea because of poor compatibility and buggy implementation.
However the fact that it loads fine sometimes but not always is funny. I would try it in win 9x and see how it behaves.

All this aside, many isa cards have onboard wavetable but what many here like to do is use external modules or midi daughter boards. Lets u use the devices the game was designed for. ( Mt-32 or sound canvas most of the times)

FM sound card comparison on a Grand Scale!!
The Grand OPL3 Comparison Run.

Reply 2 of 8, by nforce4max

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

For dos gaming on 386 on up through to slot 1 era boards you should always go ISA for sound, for the cards you used you need a board that support SB link and a cable. That enables ISA support with these newer cards for dos games like the YMF-724.

I suggest that you start hunting for a cheap ymf719 and a module or addon for general midi.

On a far away planet reading your posts in the year 10,191.

Reply 3 of 8, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

SBINIT (and SBEINIT) bails immediately if you do not have EMM386 loaded. Does SBINIT work if you use EMM386 instead? Maybe QEMM is doing something that isn't strictly compatible on a 486?

Reply 4 of 8, by epicbrad

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

oh balls!
that could be the problem. Is there a way to trick it?
I was hoping to load a fair amount out of conventional ram into high as I want disk overlays and more goodies.

might need some help trimming up my system configuration files after I tidy this mess up. Thanks for help.

Reply 5 of 8, by elianda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Why don't you use the current QEMM version? (9 aka 97)

Does it work with EMM386?

What is your QEMM configuration? AUTO RAM with Stealthing? If yes, which Stealthing method are you using? Have you run optimize with deep analysis?

Retronn.de - Vintage Hardware Gallery, Drivers, Guides, Videos. Now with file search
Youtube Channel
FTP Server - Driver Archive and more
DVI2PCIe alignment and 2D image quality measurement tool

Reply 7 of 8, by elianda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Yes the primary OS for QEMM is DOS.

Retronn.de - Vintage Hardware Gallery, Drivers, Guides, Videos. Now with file search
Youtube Channel
FTP Server - Driver Archive and more
DVI2PCIe alignment and 2D image quality measurement tool

Reply 8 of 8, by epicbrad

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

After a bit of discussion - it would appear that SB PCI based cards WILL NOT work without EMM386 loaded no matter what memory manager you are using. If anyone has had success in this regard let me know. I will be having a look at this shortly. (going back to Emm386)