VOGONS

First post, by WolfpupNX

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hey all,

Just got a YM719 ISA card (eBay) and the good news is I have sound somewhat working. I used the MS-DOS driver at:
ftp://ftp.isu.edu.tw/Hardware/Labway/Ymf_719/dos.zip
(Kindly pointed out in another thread - all of the direct Yamaha drivers I found require a version of Windows).

The bad news is, I appear to only be getting sound from my right speaker, and I don't know why. Speakers are fine.

I checked the mixer (sasetup.exe) and I don't see any obvious volume issues. Am I missing something, or perhaps looking at a defective card?

This card is very promising and I think an improvement over the others I tried if I can just get both speakers working (and noise down to an acceptable level, but I'm close - it's hard to tell what it'd sound like with both speakers functional).

Any help greatly appreciated!

Reply 1 of 6, by Anonymous Coward

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

My theory is that the headphone jack on the soundcard is dirty or broken. You can try cleaning with a little isopropyl alcohol to see if it helps at all.

"Will the highways on the internets become more few?" -Gee Dubya
V'Ger XT|Upgraded AT|Ultimate 386|Super VL/EISA 486|SMP VL/EISA Pentium

Reply 2 of 6, by WolfpupNX

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks so much for the reply, and good thought, but I figured it out! The card was shipped missing a jumper (requires two, one for left and one for right speaker out [or can be configured for line out]). Used a jumper from the card I'm not using and working like a champ!

As DOS boots, the card is quite noisy, but I figured out if I run the SETUPSA utility (the full utility - silent mode doesn't help), when I exit, it fixes this. Odd. Wish I could figure out a command line version to do the same thing, but it's only two keys to exit it, so booting with it loading is my workaround for now.

Also my daughterboard isn't going to fit, but the sound is an improvement enough that I'm just not going to worry about a MIDI card at this time.

Thanks all; if anyone has a suggestion about getting the thing to shush as far as noise without loading that utility fully, lemme know. =)

Reply 3 of 6, by sirlemonhead

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Mine is really noisy too, and exiting the application didn't fix it. I had to go into the "3D" menu in SETUPSA and drop the volume and the bass and treble levels all to 0 to get rid of the noise.

Reply 4 of 6, by kool kitty89

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I have a similar card with line out/speaker out jumpers. It should be noted that, as with most/all YMF71x based cards, the amplified (speaker out) configuration is not recommended as it tends to be way too loud and noisy/distorted. Configuring it as line-level audio without the extra amplification is much preferred and should be plenty loud for headphones or externally amplified speakers.