VOGONS

First post, by Dhall

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello,

I have recently bought 2 Pentium Pro processors: both came with bent pins.

I always take great care when bending back cpu pins and I never snapped a pin....until now. The A1 pin was bent 90 degrees and immediately snapped as I tried to bend it back.

According to specifications this is a VREF0 pin. "There are 8 VREF pins on the Pentium Pro processor to ensure that internal noise will not affect
the performance of the I/O buffers."

Is there a chance, that this cpu will work nonetheless? I don't have a Socket 8 motherboard, so I cannot test it.

Also, if it was vital, what is the best method to put the pin back on the cpu? (I heard of a method to just drop in the pin into the proper socket hole and put the cpu on top of it....)

Thank you for your help!

Last edited by Dhall on 2012-08-26, 12:20. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 1 of 11, by nforce4max

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Chances are that it will work but I can't say how stable it will be but you can always do the wire mod. The pins are just iron with HGE 14k plate so a piece of cooper wire in the socket to bridge the loss of the pin.

On a far away planet reading your posts in the year 10,191.

Reply 2 of 11, by Dhall

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thank you for your answer. Is there a "best" method to bending back those pins? I really do not want to mess up the other cpu....

However..I'm worried about the beaver competition.

Reply 3 of 11, by RacoonRider

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Famous russian magazine, "Igromania", recommends not to bend back pins that are already 90 degrees bent, but to carefully solder a wire to them. Never tried myself, but the help this magazine gave me when I was new to PCs and stuff was great.

Reply 4 of 11, by Dhall

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

this magazine gave me when I was new to PCs and stuff was great.

Russians do know best 😉 Your army spent around 50 years in my country so you must be right 😁 Thanks for the tip! 😀

If I start learning soldering now, I wonder if I will be able to fix something this delicate in 30 years time 😁

Reply 5 of 11, by RacoonRider

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Dhall wrote:

this magazine gave me when I was new to PCs and stuff was great.

Russians do know best 😉 Your army spent around 50 years in my country so you must be right 😁 Thanks for the tip! 😀

If I start learning soldering now, I wonder if I will be able to fix something this delicate in 30 years time 😁

Wow 😀 Our country did intrude in a lot of places for whatever reasons, I hope, they didn't do you or your friends/relatives any bad.

btw, here's a photo of a vehicle my 70-year old neighbor made from scrap 20 years ago. It still works and requires only minor service, as he's a very careful driver: http://cs4560.userapi.com/u62890264/100866144/x_6f7ddea6.jpg

sorry for offtopic 😀

Reply 6 of 11, by Dhall

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Wow Happy Our country did intrude in a lot of places for whatever reasons, I hope, they didn't do you or your friends/relatives any bad.

Absolutely not, and even if they had, it would not be your or any Russians fault. I didn't mean to get political, sorry it was just a joke. Hope I did not offend you 😀

Great picture, gotta love those old cars. In Hungary there are still quite a few Russian "gems" running around 😁

Anything else about fixing a broken pin guys? Come on...I'm desperate here 😀

Reply 7 of 11, by RacoonRider

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I looked for this problem on russian forums. Guys there either use soldering, which is quite hard considering the size of the stuff, or use method similar to what nforce4max adviced:

Use pliers (I'm not sure what the translation is, pic here: http://www.incomservice.com.ua/images/ombra/o … a%20image52.jpg) to break a needle over some solid platform. Than take a part of it and insert it into the socket. It is bigger than an average pin and more stiff than an average wire. Should work after you instert the CPU 😀

Reply 10 of 11, by Dhall

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

We call them "combined grippers / combined tongs" (kombinált fogó) Combined, because you can do a lot of stuff with it 😀 We can almost call this "Know your European cultural heritage" thread. 😁

However..I'm worried about the beaver competition.

Reply 11 of 11, by RacoonRider

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Dhall wrote:

you can do a lot of stuff with it 😀

That's why we love it soo much 😁

Culture references are off the topic, but it's fun, whatever 😀