VOGONS

First post, by Shodan486

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I'm putting this aside from the topic related - see my ''Old 486 Build - Final'' thread for details upon the overall details - Old 486 Build - Final.

I'd like to insert some Matrox brand card due to its image quality and windows acceleration and I cought a glimpse of these three cards:

Matrox Millenium II
Matrox Mystique G220
Matrox Productiva G100

Formerly I wanted to use the G200MMS I've got, but to no avail - the PC only responds with the normal beep, but no video signal, thus I suppose I've got to go a bit past in generations, so my questions are:

Any experience with these cards using them in the PVI-486SP3 mobo?

Any other issues / discrepancies aside from the system used?

I already bought the Productiva card - http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MATROX-PRODUCTIVA-Q … =item3a4ad6759d

This one has the UK tuner, I bought one with a I suffix, guess that could stand International ? 😊 Nevermind, it was worth the price no matter the tuner.

MOBO: PVI-486SP3 Rev 1.2
CPU: POD-83
RAM: 2x16MB
VIDEO: Matrox Millenium 2MB/Voodoo2 12MB/Video Blaster VT300
AUDIO: SB Vibra16 FM
SCSI: 72GB 15k RPM HDD/YAMAHA CD-RW 16x/ZIP drive + FDD drive
NIC: 3Com Etherlink III
PSU: 230W Generic

Reply 1 of 3, by megatron-uk

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

For a 486 the Millenium II is the right choice in terms of period - I have the same one in my AMD X5 PVI-486SP3, it works great.

My collection database and technical wiki:
https://www.target-earth.net

Reply 2 of 3, by Shodan486

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I'll try to stick with the G100 for its multitexturing and tolerable bilinear filtering. But of course, as the G200 couldn't run on this particular mobo, the usage of G100 may result dead as well...Then I'll consider using the other two, gotta find some more info on the Mystique G220.

MOBO: PVI-486SP3 Rev 1.2
CPU: POD-83
RAM: 2x16MB
VIDEO: Matrox Millenium 2MB/Voodoo2 12MB/Video Blaster VT300
AUDIO: SB Vibra16 FM
SCSI: 72GB 15k RPM HDD/YAMAHA CD-RW 16x/ZIP drive + FDD drive
NIC: 3Com Etherlink III
PSU: 230W Generic

Reply 3 of 3, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Mystique 220 isn't that great of a 2D board but it is surely far faster than a 486 can take advantage of. Millennium II is a tweaked Mystique 220 for the most part. When I've experimented with 3D on them, they both appear to have the same features and even display the same quirks in their output. The differences probably amount to a better DAC, WRAM and maybe clock speed. The chips are MGA1164 and MGA2164. The 2D performance differences show up primarily in high resolutions like 1600x1200.

I actually suggest you avoid these cards. They are problematic because of a reliance on PCI DMA and of some driver tricks they use to boost benchmarks. Common problems include font and mouse cursor corruption, and instability in 3D. I get freezes in D3D even on 440BX and 815PE.

You might want to consider some S3 cards instead, for their superior DOS compatibility. The Virge GX/DX are as competent as a Mystique 220 for GUI acceleration. Virge tends to work in 486s too in my experience.