VOGONS

First post, by jwt27

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I made some modifications to my sound card, here is the result:

http://soundcloud.com/oplawaai3/prince-of-persia-opl3

Basically what I'm doing here is sending the OPL3 output from the YMF719 through a small amplifier, to the audio input of the XR385 card, adding reverb/chorus effects, and sending it back to the YMF719. I also circumvented the XR385's output filter so it sounds a bit 'cleaner'.

img1363xi.jpg

I can post a tutorial if I can find some spare time, and if anyone's interested of course.

Reply 1 of 14, by elianda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Maybe you could comment a bit on the stock configuration.

Did the carrier soundcard already sent the signal to Audio-In of the XR385 and did you have to cut those pins first?

Why do you utilize a separate amplifier?

Is it really so much cleaner, because the signal is probably AD converted / effects added / DA converted on the XR385 again?

So what are the DACs on the YMF card and what kind of ADC/DACs are used on the XR385?

What are your SYSEX command files for Audio-IN + effects setup for XR385 the OPLs new signal path?

How does your solution behave if the carrrier soundcard can be switched to route audio signals through the external wavetable board?

Do you have any experience which soundcards can utilize the Audio-In functionality of the wavetable header efficiently? I think we tried to discuss this already somewhere else, but there was only very few information available. On the other hand this topic is quite interesting since it could allow after effects on a regular sound card output.

Retronn.de - Vintage Hardware Gallery, Drivers, Guides, Videos. Now with file search
Youtube Channel
FTP Server - Driver Archive and more
DVI2PCIe alignment and 2D image quality measurement tool

Reply 3 of 14, by jwt27

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
elianda wrote:

Maybe you could comment a bit on the stock configuration.

Did the carrier soundcard already sent the signal to Audio-In of the XR385 and did you have to cut those pins first?

Nope, these were not connected. That's why I made this 😀

Why do you utilize a separate amplifier?

I get the OPL signal from the DAC's sample&hold capacitors. You can't draw any current from them, so I use an op-amp as buffer amplifier. A card with a discrete OPL3 chip would not need this extra circuit.

Is it really so much cleaner, because the signal is probably AD converted / effects added / DA converted on the XR385 again?

No, the OPL3 signal does not improve at all! I meant to say it sounds cleaner with normal MIDI music. I got rid of the low-pass filter and amplifier, both which are unnecessary because the XR's DAC has an integrated buffer amp and anti-aliasing filter. I suppose the purpose of this circuit is to amplify the signal from 1V to 2V, but the filter around it attenuates high frequencies and only amplifies (read distorts) the bass. On the YMF card the signal is attenuated to about 1V again through a resistor, now that doesn't make any sense to me so I just connected it directly, leaving only one coupling cap and some resistors in place to remove the 2.5V DC offset.

So what are the DACs on the YMF card and what kind of ADC/DACs are used on the XR385?

The DACs on the YMF are integrated in the chip, so I have no idea. The XR's DAC/ADC is the AK4510 chip near the corner opposite the wave blaster header. If the YMF card had a discrete DAC I would have used the digital signals of course, if they were compatible.

What are your SYSEX command files for Audio-IN + effects setup for XR385 the OPLs new signal path?

Too many to list here, I wrote my own utility to set it up and configure all the various parameters. I'll post it here shortly.

To just pass the sound through, it's:
F0 43 10 49 01 00 00 01 F7 to enable the input
F0 43 10 4C 11 00 00 01 F7 to enable stereo mode
F0 43 10 4C 10 00 0B 7F F7 turns up the input volume for channel 0
F0 43 10 4C 10 01 0B 7F F7 turns up the input volume for channel 1
F0 43 10 4C 10 00 11 7F F7 turns up the dry level for channel 0
F0 43 10 4C 10 01 11 7F F7 turns up the dry level for channel 1

I found all the sysex messages at: http://www.studio4all.de/htmle/frameset090.html

How does your solution behave if the carrrier soundcard can be switched to route audio signals through the external wavetable board?

You mean adding a switch to bypass the XR385? That's just a matter of turning the XR385 volume down and the OPL volume up in the YMF719 configuration utility. Normally these are on the same mixer channel, I guess no one ever thought anyone would be using both at the same time. I connected the XR card to the CD input, so now both have a their own mixer channel.

Do you have any experience which soundcards can utilize the Audio-In functionality of the wavetable header efficiently? I think we tried to discuss this already somewhere else, but there was only very few information available. On the other hand this topic is quite interesting since it could allow after effects on a regular sound card output.

No, I never had one of these cards. I have never even seen one. Though surely these must exist, why else would the waveblaster header include audio input pins?

Reply 4 of 14, by nforce4max

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Very very good work and I am impressed so I would love to see a little guide or at least a few more pics. Wouldn't mind doing the same to mine. 😀

On a far away planet reading your posts in the year 10,191.

Reply 7 of 14, by Cloudschatze

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
jwt27 wrote:

No, I never had one of these cards. I have never even seen one. Though surely these must exist, why else would the waveblaster header include audio input pins?

I'd mentioned one in this thread - Mediatrix' AudioTriX 3D(-XG)...

SB16 + Yamaha DB60XG / NEC XR385 --- info needed

Reply 8 of 14, by JayCeeBee64

User metadata
Rank Retired
Rank
Retired

Man, that looks pretty neat! 😮 If only I could do something similar - anything electronic runs away when my shaky, clumsy hands bring a soldering iron towards them 😒

Ooohh, the pain......

Reply 10 of 14, by epicbrad

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I must admit, it gives it a nice sound!

It's actually very good! Well done 😀

I'd like to hear more games with it! Can't think of what else I'd like to hear.... Silpheed?

I wonder if you can route PC Speaker to do the same? 🤣

Reply 11 of 14, by elianda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
SquallStrife wrote:

I am mondo interested. I'd like to adapt it to my SB Pro2.

Waveblaster header was introduced with SB16.

Retronn.de - Vintage Hardware Gallery, Drivers, Guides, Videos. Now with file search
Youtube Channel
FTP Server - Driver Archive and more
DVI2PCIe alignment and 2D image quality measurement tool

Reply 12 of 14, by SquallStrife

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
elianda wrote:
SquallStrife wrote:

I am mondo interested. I'd like to adapt it to my SB Pro2.

Waveblaster header was introduced with SB16.

I'm not interested in the actual waveblaster functionality, I just want reverb+chorus on OPL3 music! 😀

(Hence "adapt") 😀

VogonsDrivers.com | Link | News Thread