VOGONS

First post, by epicbrad

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hey guys,

I'd like to open a freely based discussion about the VP6 I found at my local e-recycle plant.

So far it only came with 1x CPU (Celeron of some description) and I had a look at the VP6 web site - where it was mainly all custom stuff but most of the links don't work. It listed custom BIOS for the board to help push it further out.

What is the fastest coppermine CPU pair I can add
Can anyone recommend some decent coolers from eBay cheap with somewhat decent good CFM flow?

As for what I want to do with the machine - I'm not really sure yet. I've never had a working Dual CPU setup (I did get a dual 603/604 Board working but it had problems and I still have only the CPU's in my car console after all this time 🤣)

I might use it for some retro gaming under 2000 / XP not really sure yet. I'm sure it could even run Windows 7/8 but I think I'll stick with 2000 / XP - If I go for win 2000 I'll prob use my ES1371 that keeps failing in my 486 machine and play some cool games. It has AGP too, so I think I have an FX5500 or a 7300 GS AGP somewhere which I'll give a go and play some later model games - Colin McRae 2 perhaps maybe some Need for Speed.

Any thoughts on where this project should go and what it's useful for?

I might turn it into an Emulation machine as I'm a fan of tim Follin's music and like NES / SNES stuff. I owned a lot of NES / SNES games. Still wish I never sold my NES / SNES collection.

Reply 1 of 7, by stano

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I have a Abit Vp6 and love the board.
It has 2x 1 gig coppermine pentium 3's, although the highest cpu that the board will take is a 1.13 ghz, but good luck finding them.
Heatsinks I use the original intel ones although I would love a couple of themaltake orbs.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem … atchlink:top:en

Reply 2 of 7, by Shodan486

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Please refer to me about any info you need - I've played almost a 1,5y with a rig like that, have a lot of experience (and memory 😀 ) with using much hardware in it and also recapped it with & obtained in various modifications and tested - in which all had different behaviour 😀 please post pictures of the mainboard, mainly the VRM area and a little VRM group neard the AGP slot - that is a 5V to 3.3V convertor I need to see the capacitors to determine if you'll get trouble with OC.

You're really gonna have fun with that piece of gold 😀 .

MOBO: PVI-486SP3 Rev 1.2
CPU: POD-83
RAM: 2x16MB
VIDEO: Matrox Millenium 2MB/Voodoo2 12MB/Video Blaster VT300
AUDIO: SB Vibra16 FM
SCSI: 72GB 15k RPM HDD/YAMAHA CD-RW 16x/ZIP drive + FDD drive
NIC: 3Com Etherlink III
PSU: 230W Generic

Reply 3 of 7, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I've got dual 1ghz Coppermines in my VP6 but I've heard that Tualatins may be possible using the pin wire mod.

Oh, and don't bother using this board with Win9x because the second CPU will just sit there doing nothing. You need an NT based OS.

Reply 4 of 7, by epicbrad

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Had the choice of SL52R's or SL4C8's.

I bought 2x SL4C8's as the voltage is slightly lower. I'm hoping this will give me a slightly better overclock / stability. They are from working pulls.

One helpful piece of information I will find is - Where can I get the best
drivers?

and I'm wondering what would be the best OS for this thing? I know if I stick to win 2k - I can run my PCI ES137X with good wavetable as XP doesn't support it beyond the 2mb patch IIRC.

I could do an SB Live Card for any OS but I don't like the midi as much.

I'd like to emulate some PC Engine stuff.

Good point with Win9x. I wonder if there is enough support for 95/98/ME? Just to dual boot?

Might have 98SE/XP - it really depends on what's avail for the board.

Reply 5 of 7, by luckybob

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

2000 is REALLY the way to go. Anything older and you might as well sell the board for a single cpu system.

Mod a pair of tualatins, pack it full of ram and drop a voodoo 5 in it for some quake 3/ UT action. Thats my suggestion/

It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.

Reply 6 of 7, by epicbrad

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

2000 is REALLY the way to go. Anything older and you might as well sell the board for a single cpu system.

Mod a pair of tualatins, pack it full of ram and drop a voodoo 5 in it for some quake 3/ UT action. Thats my suggestion/

Fair enough suggestions 😀 - I might have a Voodoo of that description somewhere. I think it's at least a Voodoo 3 - or one of the earlier AGP Cards.

I might drop in a later revision geforce and see. Of course I can try a few cards to my liking.

Win 2000 sounds like a plan. I'd still dual boot 98 for the occasion - will save me pulling out another system out of the 30 I have 🤣........

As for the modding of the faster PIII CPU's - I thought about it, but decided to go with what the board is capable of naturally without going through pin mods etc. I reckon it would be nice to add a Dual Tualatin to my collections though I've already got at least one around somewhere that isn't active or it's in parts. Did any come with 1MB Cache? or were they all 512KB?

Quake 3 action? Nice suggestion. I never really got myself into Quake heavily - I was stuck on a P75 for the longest time after I got rid of my aging XT machine (Wish I never did)

Reply 7 of 7, by Shodan486

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I was using a regular XP prof. on this machine, though trying the WinFLP would be too very interesting if it supports SMP. Anyways Doom 3, quake 4 and similar run quite fast on this mobo when using GF7950GT, not the 7600GS I have in my signature. BUT the CPU and the mobo had to be clocked up.

But yes, win 2000 does sound like a reasonable, more efficient to this setup, let us know how it works. Wishing you no driver issues.

MOBO: PVI-486SP3 Rev 1.2
CPU: POD-83
RAM: 2x16MB
VIDEO: Matrox Millenium 2MB/Voodoo2 12MB/Video Blaster VT300
AUDIO: SB Vibra16 FM
SCSI: 72GB 15k RPM HDD/YAMAHA CD-RW 16x/ZIP drive + FDD drive
NIC: 3Com Etherlink III
PSU: 230W Generic