VOGONS

First post, by TheLazy1

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Here's a weird one for ya...
I installed my YMF-719 into my 486 and because I wanted to try something new, hooked the CDROM into it instead of the secondary IDE channel on-board.

The problem is that running setupsa.exe causes the hdd to fail with "general failure reading drive c".
Setupsa.exe also doesn't exit properly, terminating with a null pointer error.

IDE Base=1E8h
IDE IRQ=11

Could it be because I ran the driver installer under Dosbox and copied it over?
I'm grasping at straws here before I give up and just attach it to the secondary IDE channel.

Reply 1 of 7, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

I think I read here in regard to the SB16's cd port that it s better to use the ide one. No recollection of why though 😉

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 2 of 7, by TheLazy1

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Fair enough, I tried removing the CDROM from the YMF-719 and it still dies on a fresh install of the drivers.
The second setupsa.exe runs drive C gets a general failure.

😮

Reply 3 of 7, by Anonymous Coward

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I had some kind of weird IDE related problem with a few YMF-719s in my VL/EISA SCSI 486 as well. When the card was installed, I wasn't even able to turn on this machine. However, it turned out to be some kind of conflict between my graphics card and the YMF-719. I think it was my ET4000W32Ps that didn't play well with it, however an ARK1000 based card worked just fine.

Later though, I tried another YMF-719 card WITHOUT the IDE connector, and this one worked with my ET4000W32P cards just fine. So I came to the conclusion that the IDE portion of the card was causing some kind of issue.

"Will the highways on the internets become more few?" -Gee Dubya
V'Ger XT|Upgraded AT|Ultimate 386|Super VL/EISA 486|SMP VL/EISA Pentium

Reply 4 of 7, by TheLazy1

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Anonymous Coward wrote:

I had some kind of weird IDE related problem with a few YMF-719s in my VL/EISA SCSI 486 as well. When the card was installed, I wasn't even able to turn on this machine. However, it turned out to be some kind of conflict between my graphics card and the YMF-719. I think it was my ET4000W32Ps that didn't play well with it, however an ARK1000 based card worked just fine.

Later though, I tried another YMF-719 card WITHOUT the IDE connector, and this one worked with my ET4000W32P cards just fine. So I came to the conclusion that the IDE portion of the card was causing some kind of issue.

Hmm... That's not good, this is the only card I have that will drive my XR385 without the hanging note bug.

Current specs:
AMD 5x86 133MHz
The infamous M919 motherboard with no L2
40MB 72pin Memory @ 0WS
1MB S3 805 VLB Video (Temporary, until I find a PCI replacement)
YMF-719
128MB CF in CF->IDE adapter
ISA SMC Ethernet

As far as I can tell I disabled the on-board IDE and nothing is plugged into it yet it still errors out after setupsa.exe loads.
Perhaps it's a driver issue?

The one I grabbed was a win 3.1 installer but I'm positive there was one for pure dos as well.

Reply 5 of 7, by sebaz_ri

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
TheLazy1 wrote:
Hmm... That's not good, this is the only card I have that will drive my XR385 without the hanging note bug. […]
Show full quote
Anonymous Coward wrote:

Hmm... That's not good, this is the only card I have that will drive my XR385 without the hanging note bug.

Current specs:
AMD 5x86 133MHz
The infamous M919 motherboard with no L2
40MB 72pin Memory @ 0WS
1MB S3 805 VLB Video (Temporary, until I find a PCI replacement)
YMF-719
128MB CF in CF->IDE adapter
ISA SMC Ethernet

As far as I can tell I disabled the on-board IDE and nothing is plugged into it yet it still errors out after setupsa.exe loads.
Perhaps it's a driver issue?

The one I grabbed was a win 3.1 installer but I'm positive there was one for pure dos as well.

Try the drivers that i posted in this thread
The "best" sound card for dos
These drivers don't require windows 3.11 to install

2611708.png

Reply 6 of 7, by Anonymous Coward

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

You might just have to use another card in addition to the YMF 719 to drive IDE devices.

Last edited by Anonymous Coward on 2012-09-02, 11:37. Edited 1 time in total.

"Will the highways on the internets become more few?" -Gee Dubya
V'Ger XT|Upgraded AT|Ultimate 386|Super VL/EISA 486|SMP VL/EISA Pentium

Reply 7 of 7, by TheLazy1

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Anonymous Coward wrote:

You might just have to use a different ISA card (other than the YMF 719) to drive IDE devices.

Oddly enough I had it working...
Then a few hours later it's back to old general failure.

Luckily there is a PCI IDE controller kicking about which I'll try tomorrow if the other drivers don't fix the problem.

sebaz_ri wrote:

Try the drivers that i posted in this thread
The "best" sound card for dos
These drivers don't require windows 3.11 to install

Thanks for this!
I'll try them out 😀

Update:
Those drivers work!
I haven't tried the CDROM part yet, but at least it doesn't break the primary IDE controller.

However, now the colour palette in Doom2 is screwed up!
🤣