VOGONS

Is it possible to have 2 graphics cards installed at the same time?

Topic actions

• This topic is locked. You cannot reply or edit posts.

First post, by CU_AMiGA

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hi

I currently have an ISA Mach64 graphics card and a PCI Diamond graphics card installed. I plan on using DOS and Win3.1 using the ISA card due to the 3DO Blaster needing an ISA only graphics card and then using the PCI card with Win 98 (along with Voodoo 3D). My question is, is it possbile to have intsalled both graphics cards installed and the same time and confirguring Win98 to ignore the ISA card and use the PCI card and to configure Win3.1+DOS to use the ISA card. I also plan on having Win98 either on a sperate hard drive, or on a different hard drive partition to Win3.1+DOS.

Regards

Last edited by Stiletto on 2022-03-28, 22:05. Edited 2 times in total.

Reply 1 of 13, by elfuego

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Mhm... Never tried such a setup, but I'll bet that if you install win98 only with PCI graphics inside (ISA video removed physically) and plug in the ISA card afterwards, it should use the PCI as a main card and almost completely ignore the ISA card.

DOS is a different issue however. Maybe there is some switch in BIOS which allows you to select the 'first initiated card' and set it to ISA. If not, you can select the BIOS option "plug and play OS installed" which will (hopefully) force the system not to initialize PCI cards and use ISA video instead.

Too bad you dont use an AGP card - I know for sure that you can force-set PCI/ISA as main video instead of AGP (Option is "initialize first: AGP/PCI").

Good luck and let us know how it went 😀

Reply 2 of 13, by CU_AMiGA

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

if i boot from my old dos and win3.1 hard drive it outputs to isa card (with pci card installed too!). i know pci card are working cos i have voodoo 2 installed and i use that as the pass through! 😉 i will try your above though when i get round to setting up win98! 😀

Reply 3 of 13, by 5u3

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

ISA VGA cards always take precedence over PCI/AGP cards for being chosen as the primary VGA by the BIOS.

CU_AMiGA wrote:

I plan on using DOS and Win3.1 using the ISA card due to the 3DO Blaster needing an ISA only graphics card and then using the PCI card with Win 98 (along with Voodoo 3D).

Are you sure about the 3DO Blaster needing an ISA card to work? Sources on the net only mention a feature connector, which should be available on most early PCI video cards.

Reply 6 of 13, by elianda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

It is possible, if the ISA graphics card is not VGA.

Retronn.de - Vintage Hardware Gallery, Drivers, Guides, Videos. Now with file search
Youtube Channel
FTP Server - Driver Archive and more
DVI2PCIe alignment and 2D image quality measurement tool

Reply 7 of 13, by DrSwizz

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

You should be able to use both cards as you described in the first post. Configuring it in win98 can be a bit tricky though. You might have to remove the ISA card, install the drivers for the PCI card and then reinstall the ISA card and configure the display in win98 or something like that.

Reply 8 of 13, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Could you not just disable the ISA card in device manager in Win98? forcing it to use the PCI card?

Sorry if that’s a stupid suggestion I'm 1/2 asleep 😵

Reply 9 of 13, by megatron-uk

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
chinny22 wrote:

Could you not just disable the ISA card in device manager in Win98? forcing it to use the PCI card?

Sorry if that’s a stupid suggestion I'm 1/2 asleep 😵

I'm guessing that both cards will try and load their VGA BIOS at the same location in memory though, that and the same interrupts for both cards.

PCI + PCI, PCI + AGP, PCI + PCIe should all work though as they basically auto-configure themselves, ISA won't. I've done that many a time. I ran a Millenium 2 (PCI) and TNT2 (AGP) for several years for dual-head display (the Millenium 2 specifically because it supported sync-on-green which let me use a huge SGI trinitron screen).

My collection database and technical wiki:
https://www.target-earth.net

Reply 11 of 13, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Tried it with M919 Rev 3.4. It prioritizes PCI video over ISA video, and if you do plug in a monitor to the ISA video, it won't show. You'll get the usual BEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP and it'll continue to boot, albeit no video.

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 13 of 13, by Stiletto

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Not to derail, but this thread reminded me of the prototype Micron "Madison" (dual Micron Samurai-DDR chipset) motherboard which had dual AGP.

http://pc.watch.impress.co.jp/docs/article/20 … 131/pform04.htm

😀

"I see a little silhouette-o of a man, Scaramouche, Scaramouche, will you
do the Fandango!" - Queen

Stiletto