VOGONS

First post, by senrew

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

So i,'m planning a socket 7 build and am lining up a sb16 to handle the DOS sound duties, but what I'd like to know is how well will the card do for windows audio? Win98 will be the main OS on this build. The range of games I'm targetting are mid-90s DOS and windows 2D mostly. I've been putting together a list of games I want to play and haven't really comes across any that would require any kind of real heavy 3d oomph or anything other than stereo audio.

Reply 3 of 7, by elfuego

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
senrew wrote:

Next question. The one I'm getting has the hanging note bug. Under what conditions will that come up?

Conditions are hard to define. It will sometimes occur almost immediately after you start playing midi and sometimes after a random amount of time. But it will occur with 100% certainty 😀

However, if you have external midi module (like SC55 or similar) then a simple reset of the module will solve the hanging note bug, until the next note hangs. Otherwise a soft SB reset (running sound init from DOS for example) will usually solve the problem.

The best way to circumvent the problem is either to use two sound cards or find one that is bug-free.

Reply 4 of 7, by Gamecollector

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
senrew wrote:

Next question. The one I'm getting has the hanging note bug. Under what conditions will that come up?

SB16 + external midi module or daughterboard.

Reply 5 of 7, by senrew

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

So....I stuck in my CT-2940, rebooted, Win98 installed everything automatically. I downloaded the win9x update pack from the creative site, installed it. However, I can't hear midi from the daughtercard I have installed. Nothing. Also, I have no drivers or anything under DOS.

I downloaded the SB16 installer disks from the vogons driver site, but when I try to install either the pnp ctcm stuff, or the basic SB apps, it tells me I'm running windows 95 and to fuck off.

How do I fix both these issues?

Reply 6 of 7, by elfuego

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
senrew wrote:

So....I stuck in my CT-2940, rebooted, Win98 installed everything automatically. I downloaded the win9x update pack from the creative site, installed it. However, I can't hear midi from the daughtercard I have installed. Nothing. Also, I have no drivers or anything under DOS.

I downloaded the SB16 installer disks from the vogons driver site, but when I try to install either the pnp ctcm stuff, or the basic SB apps, it tells me I'm running windows 95 and to fuck off.

How do I fix both these issues?

CTCM tells you correctly, you dont need it 😁 That program is used to assign HW resources to the card because DOS doesnt deal with pnp automatically.

As for the MIDI, go to the sound preferences in control panel and select the correct MIDI device as output (for DB i'd say its on port 300 or 330, you will see whats available).

If you want to use the card purely in DOS, then install the things you need only under DOS - do not run windows 98. Native DOS is not the same as windows 98 dos prompt 😀