VOGONS

First post, by sirlemonhead

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hi,

I have an old Gateway machine that has a plastic block screwed inside the front of the case. It houses the power and HDD access LEDs as well as the power switch for the machine.

I was taking apart the pc recently and the little plastic clips that hold the LEDs and switch in place broke off. I was able to glue back in the LED clips successfully, but the power switch won't stay glued reliably..especially as it'll be getting some amount of pressure applied when the switch itself is pushed.

You can see what I'm talking about here, with the LED clips glued back into place, and the power switch hole on the bottom of the image.
p300_1.jpg

The switch should fit in as below, but of course the plastic retaining tab is broken off and missing in this photo
p300_3.jpg

Has anyone got an ideas what I could do as an alternative to the plastic tab, to hold the switch in place? Would hot glue hold it reliably?

Reply 1 of 10, by memsys

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Personally i would use a tiny drop of superglue(preferably the gel version) to glue the switch to the other tab to hold it in place , then use a royal amount of hotglue and fill the space where the other tab was and around the switch it self .

Reply 2 of 10, by MaxWar

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

For gluing plastics i use the Original Amazing GOOP with great results. Wait at least 24 hours drying.

FM sound card comparison on a Grand Scale!!
The Grand OPL3 Comparison Run.

Reply 3 of 10, by 133MHz

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I use ****star two part epoxy, it's really cheap and works wonders on plastics.

If you have a soldering iron you can also 'melt through' a piece of wire from a resistor or a small staple into the plastic to give it some structural support.

http://133FSB.wordpress.com

Reply 5 of 10, by Old Thrashbarg

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I always use PVC pipe cement for that sort of thing... it's designed for that sort of plastic, and it chemically welds the pieces together. Superglue doesn't really hold up to any stress on semi-flexible plastics, and epoxy is too much trouble for something small like that.

Reply 7 of 10, by MaxWar

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I find it funny how basically everyone is suggesting something different. Except for epoxy that it.

I would not use silicone, i dont like this stuff much, its messy and not stiff enough for this kind of job.

As old thrashbarg said, PVC pipe glue could just be the best thing. If used on the right type of plastic, This stuff will just fuse the parts together with no turning back.

When in doubt always use Amazing GOOP 😁

324b0fb6-d7ae-4bc8-8f77-ba3f0ac440de_400.jpg

FM sound card comparison on a Grand Scale!!
The Grand OPL3 Comparison Run.

Reply 8 of 10, by Old Thrashbarg

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I would not use silicone, i dont like this stuff much, its messy and not stiff enough for this kind of job.

Yeah, it's designed to be super flexible... which is exactly what you don't want in this case. Plus it won't stick to ABS plastic for shit anyway. I'd say its effectiveness for that particular task ranks somewhere in between scotch tape and peanut butter.

Reply 9 of 10, by sirlemonhead

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Thanks guys, quite a few things to consider 😀 Doesn't look like I can get Amazing Goop over here in Ireland, and I don't know what the alternative to that would be... I guess i'll give the PVC pipe glue a shot 😀