VOGONS

Reply 260 of 661, by vetz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I knew about Rendition support NASCAR Racing 1999 Edition from when I did the Voodoo2 DOS compatibility list and I thought it was already on the list when you posted. Apparently it's not. I'll add it, thanks 😀

3D Accelerated Games List (Proprietary APIs - No 3DFX/Direct3D)
3D Acceleration Comparison Episodes

Reply 261 of 661, by falloutboy

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I actually expected Rendition support, so I tested the demo version last year, with a big disappointment. Seems like they can't be trusted. 🤣
If someone is having the standalone game "NASCAR Craftsman Truck Series Racing", it would be nice if you check the readme & the included exe files for Rendition support.

Reply 262 of 661, by Gamecollector

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
falloutboy wrote:

NASCAR Craftsman Truck Series Racing

Software and 3dfx only.

Asus P4P800 SE/Pentium4 3.2E/2 Gb DDR400B,
Radeon HD3850 Agp (Sapphire), Catalyst 14.4 (XpProSp3).
Voodoo2 12 MB SLI, Win2k drivers 1.02.00 (XpProSp3).

Reply 265 of 661, by konc

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Searching for Mystique accelerated games I ended up in the archived "original product webpage" provided in the first post. At the bottom there is a link for games supporting Mystique's hardware
http://web.archive.org/web/19961110071525/htt … eb/3d_games.htm

Ok most of these where "expected" at that time, but does this list actually contributes anything missing from our list?
Or all of the expected games ended up being optimized direct 3d patches and similar stuff?

Reply 266 of 661, by vetz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
konc wrote:
Searching for Mystique accelerated games I ended up in the archived "original product webpage" provided in the first post. At th […]
Show full quote

Searching for Mystique accelerated games I ended up in the archived "original product webpage" provided in the first post. At the bottom there is a link for games supporting Mystique's hardware

Ok most of these where "expected" at that time, but does this list actually contributes anything missing from our list?
Or all of the expected games ended up being optimized direct 3d patches and similar stuff?

They later updated this page to include what API the game was running on (for most of them), see the original debunk'ed list under Matrox Mystique in the first post.

Reply 267 of 661, by konc

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
vetz wrote:
konc wrote:
Searching for Mystique accelerated games I ended up in the archived "original product webpage" provided in the first post. At th […]
Show full quote

They later updated this page to include what API the game was running on (for most of them), see the original debunk'ed list under Matrox Mystique in the first post.

A thanks for clearing this up. That list seemed a lot longer than ours and thought we may have missed something. I guess the longest possible list was a must with all the 3D hype back then.

Last edited by konc on 2016-02-21, 15:04. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 268 of 661, by vetz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Totally forgot to post this when I got it from an Ex-Creative employee.

Here is the 3D Blaster PCI patch for HI-Octane. Running on CGL, thus requiring a 3D Blaster PCI CT6240 or CT6260 card.

An old capture of the PCI version available here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ePQqqiS69Mw

Attachments

• Filename
    HIOPCI2.ZIP
    File size
    580.42 KiB
    Downloads
    691 downloads
    File comment
    Hi-Octane 3D Blaster PCI patch
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 269 of 661, by Myloch

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I see Descent II s3 version is more like a demo, is Destruction Derby (s3) a demo too or full game like the classic dos version?
I saw there's a Windows (non-bundled) version of Destruction derby floating around, what's the difference compared to Dos one? does it include support for s3?

"Gamer & collector for passion, I firmly believe in the preservation and the diffusion of old/rare software, against all personal egoisms"

Reply 270 of 661, by falloutboy

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
vetz wrote:

Here is the 3D Blaster PCI patch for HI-Octane.

Thank you, maybe one day I get the chance to try that myself.

Myloch wrote:

I see Descent II s3 version is more like a demo

S3D patch should work with full version of Descent II.

Myloch wrote:

I saw there's a Windows (non-bundled) version of Destruction derby floating around

Can you point me to the version you're talking about?

Myloch wrote:

does it include support for s3?

Might be possible! I have memory's playing "Destruction Derby Neon Edition" within Windows 95. It ran good on our Pentium 133 & S3 Trio64V+ but then we got a Elsa Victory 3DX (Virge DX), the game had better graphics on it but the framerate became much lower & the fun was gone.
Not sure if it was s3d accelerated but the resolution was higher AFAIR.

Reply 271 of 661, by Myloch

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
falloutboy wrote:
Myloch wrote:

I saw there's a Windows (non-bundled) version of Destruction derby floating around

Can you point me to the version you're talking about?

It's just destruction derby with a windows logo on the box, you can easily find that on ebay or amazon, nothing special to write home about...

falloutboy wrote:

Might be possible! I have memory's playing "Destruction Derby Neon Edition" within Windows 95. It ran good on our Pentium 133 & S3 Trio64V+ but then we got a Elsa Victory 3DX (Virge DX), the game had better graphics on it but the framerate became much lower & the fun was gone.
Not sure if it was s3d accelerated but the resolution was higher AFAIR.

Nope, neon edition is just dos version.

"Gamer & collector for passion, I firmly believe in the preservation and the diffusion of old/rare software, against all personal egoisms"

Reply 272 of 661, by vetz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Never heard about a Windows version of Destruction Derby outside the S3D version. If it exists I doubt it includes the S3D support, as it was an exclusive deal made between Psgynosis and Diamond Multimedia. Check out the 1996 press release: http://www.thefreelibrary.com/Diamond+Multime … o...-a018289148

Reply 273 of 661, by falloutboy

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Last year, when I was looking for all existing versions, I stumbled on this with the Windows logo.

001.JPG
Filename
001.JPG
File size
20.21 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 274 of 661, by Myloch

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

yep, here (better picture).

There's also this:
wmi91x.jpg
Japanese release (?)

Maybe they are the same as dos version, maybe they include at least higher resolution (like Destruction Derby 2 "dd2h.exe").

@vetz: talking about these games for proprietary APIs, since you're an expert, what are the real gems?
I mean the games that are not available in a better form somewhere else (direct3d-3dfx-opengl), other than Destruction Derby or Resident Evil PowerVR I already know about.

Reply 275 of 661, by vetz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Myloch wrote:

@vetz: talking about these games for proprietary APIs, since you're an expert, what are the real gems?
I mean the games that are not available in a better form somewhere else (direct3d-3dfx-opengl), other than Destruction Derby or Resident Evil PowerVR I already know about.

- Wipeout and Assault Rigs on ATI 3D Rage (now also works with a wrapper)
- Tank Commander on Paradise Tasmania PCI (DOS version is only 320x200).
- HI-Octane on 3D Blaster PCI CT6260 (CGL)
- Euro 96 on CGL
- Destruction Derby on S3 Virge GX2
- Havoc on S3 Virge GX2 (some might prefer software mode!)
- Actua Soccer PowerVR (Windows port for much better gamepad setup, graphics look a tad better than the other versions due to the video output available with the host card on PowerVR cards)
- Resident Evil PowerVR
- Mechwarrior 2 PowerVR (in my view, hands down the best looking version, and framerate is very good!)
- Mechwarrior 2 Matrox Mystique (yes, alot of people like this version over the PowerVR one!)
- PureVex PowerVR (exclusive PowerVR game, very fun)
- Ultimate Race 1/3 track on PowerVR (it runs alot better than the PRO version on a PowerVR card and is a very impressive tech demo in terms of graphics for 1996!)
- Indycar Racing II on Rendition Verite
- Descent II on Rendition Verite V1000
- SEGA games on Nvidia NV1 (they run equally good on a quick Pentium II/III CPU in software mode, but on a Pentium 100/133 you'll be blown away by the NV1!)

There are many other games which could make the list, but with a powerful enough CPU software mode in higher resolution is equal to the accelerated version or even more preferable, for example Whiplash, Flight Unlimited, FX Figher Turbo, NASCAR Racing, Descent II, Destruction Derby 2, Battle Race,

I've not included Cybertroopers: Virtual On, since none of the PowerVR cards that can run it can keep an acceptable framerate with all graphic settings enabled.

Reply 277 of 661, by Myloch

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
vetz wrote:

Wait a moment...what wrapper? 😳
You mean Tuxality's (still in alpha) projects?

Purevex seems hella cool, however it's a no go for me (I don't own the card to run it, unless it can be run in software mode with some hacking skills). What about those other japan only releases (PowerVR seems to have a lot of them)? I'm talking about Revolte, Nirgends, Moon racer, Enigma, Atrain.

Last edited by Myloch on 2016-03-22, 18:30. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 278 of 661, by Stiletto

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Myloch wrote:
vetz wrote:

Wait a moment...what wrapper? 😳
You mean Tuxality's (still in alpha) projects?

glRage, probably: https://github.com/ata4/glrage / https://github.com/ata4/glrage/releases

"I see a little silhouette-o of a man, Scaramouche, Scaramouche, will you
do the Fandango!" - Queen

Stiletto

Reply 279 of 661, by vetz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Myloch wrote:

Purevex seems hella cool, however it's a no go for me (I don't own the card to run it, unless it can be run in software mode with some hacking skills). What about those other japan only releases (PowerVR seems to have a lot of them)? I'm talking about Revolte, Nirgends, Moon racer, Enigma, Atrain.

The problem is that beside Revolte and Moon Racer they are in Japanese, meaning it's almost impossible to play them unless you can read and understand kanji. Nirgends is a PC-FX game that is alot better on Windows/PowerVR, but the gameplay sucks and I don't understand anything of the story/cutscenes. Enigma looks like a Resident Evil kind of game, maybe not in terms of story, but in terms of gameplay/graphics/controls. It is the best game of the bunch (if I'd only knew what was going on). A-Train is a mess. It's one of those building games were they tried to implement 3D gameplay when the tech/execution wasn't there.

Moon Racer and Revolte are very simple games, you would call them mobile games today. Moon Racer was as far as I know, only released through PowerVR's webshop, so it's extremely hard to find. Luckily there is a demo available.