VOGONS

First post, by valnar

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I'm quite happy with my ASUS P2B-B with is a Baby-AT, but wanted to know if ANYONE made something smaller, even proprietary (seeing that mini-ITX didn't exist back then). I really only need a single ISA and PCI slot (or two PCI slots if no video) to make a small Win98 gaming nirvana machine.

An acceptable substitution would be something that had an ESS Solo or something SB Pro compatible integrated.

Reply 1 of 10, by Old Thrashbarg

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Take a look at the Optiplex GX1 SFF. I don't know if it's the absolute smallest BX system, but it's about the size of a usual ITX desktop, and it has onboard video, onboard NIC, a Crystal CS4236 audio chip, which has passable SBPro compatibility, as well as two PCI slots.

Reply 2 of 10, by gerwin

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

The smallest one I have is the Intel SR440BX.
mATX = Not that small really, though it does contain a full spec Nvidia chip with RAM. Sound chip is Creative (Ensoniq) Audio PCI 64V.

744c97182245767.jpg

--> ISA Soundcard Overview // Doom MBF 2.04 // SetMul

Reply 5 of 10, by luckybob

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Ebay "pc104" Before ther was ITX there was pc104. pc104 died out with the pentium for the most part. however I have a pentium 3 SBC that supports it so it stuck around for a LONG time. That said, most pc014 stuff is under "business & industrial" on ebay

It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.

Reply 6 of 10, by luckybob

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

here is a 1.4ghz pentium M model: http://www.rtd.com/pc104/cm/886/158886/CMX158886-1400.htm

edit:

A stack of them look AWESOME if not godly overpriced: http://www.ebay.com/itm/270997032853

It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.

Reply 8 of 10, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

One small board you could consider is the ms6147. It's one of the smallest ATX boards I've ever seen.
It has 3x PCI and one ISA, but doesn't seem to support coppermines.
Another small board is the 35-8929, but this one has the VIA 693-something chipset. It does have AGP though.

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 9 of 10, by gerwin

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

See attachment,
It does not get any smaller then this, 440BX, P-III 500..700MHz, 128MB. But no PCI/ISA, not even a 12 Volt rail, so not a real option.

Oh wait the PDF does mention PCI and ISA.

Attachments

• Filename
    SOM-4470_ds.pdf
    File size
    198.42 KiB
    Downloads
    87 downloads
    File comment
    SOM-4470 Pentium® III SOM-ETX w/VGA, LCD,
    Audio, Video & LAN
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception
  • SOM4470F.jpg
    Filename
    SOM4470F.jpg
    File size
    139.81 KiB
    Views
    File comment
    SOM-4470F
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

--> ISA Soundcard Overview // Doom MBF 2.04 // SetMul

Reply 10 of 10, by laxdragon

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I got to get me one of those fanless Slot 1 CPU coolers. That would make my current P3/800 system fully fanless. I have a fanless powersupply, and my GeForce 4 AGP is fanless as well. With a CF IDE setup, the system would be perfectly silent. A little off topic, but that system is a 440BX, the Abit BX6 v2. Not exactly a small BX mobo though.

laxDRAGON.com | My Game Collection | My Computers | YouTube