Creative 3D Blaster VLB price

Topic actions

Reply 43 of 88, by subhuman@xgtx

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Putas wrote:

perhaps i would be able to buy it via a friend and then send it to me but I really don't know what to do.. is it really worth it?

Reply 44 of 88, by vetz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Well, you will be bidding against me so I wish you good luck if you do.

My plan is to test the thing and publish the results. I have a quick 486 VLB computer, and all the video capturing hardware needed along with the natural comparisons of NV1 and Matrox Millennium (for Nascar Racing) along with 486 PCI boards and early Pentiums to do a real shakedown to determine the best 1995 texture 3D accelerator. I also have both the PCI versions (CT6240 and CT6260) to compare the CGL performance of VLB against PCI. Since nitroX is setting up his system to test the Tasmania 3D (polygon 3D accelerator) we could potentially combine our results to include all the 1995 consumer cards that promised 3D acceleration.

Though I fear this thing will end up in a collection never to be touched, like the other VLB cards around the world are atm. Always some who are more crazy than me 😜

I actually think his other auctions of other creative products are also very nice, Soundblaster 16 MCA brand new:
http://www.ebay.com/sch/simply.sold.fl/m.html … =&_trksid=p3686

3D Accelerated Games List (Proprietary APIs - No 3DFX/Direct3D)
3D Acceleration Comparison Episodes

Reply 45 of 88, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
vetz wrote:

My plan is to test the thing and publish the results.

Tell me you're joking about opening up a sealed package. You're going to pay a high price premium if you win because it's sealed and then you're going to throw it away by opening it?

Reply 46 of 88, by elianda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
vetz wrote:

I actually think his other auctions of other creative products are also very nice, Soundblaster 16 MCA brand new:
http://www.ebay.com/sch/simply.sold.fl/m.html … =&_trksid=p3686

Yes, but he only ships to U.S. 😒.

Retronn.de - Vintage Hardware Gallery, Drivers, Guides, Videos. Now with file search
Youtube Channel
FTP Server - Driver Archive and more
DVI2PCIe alignment and 2D image quality measurement tool

Reply 47 of 88, by F2bnp

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
sliderider wrote:
vetz wrote:

Tell me you're joking about opening up a sealed package. You're going to pay a high price premium if you win because it's sealed and then you're going to throw it away by opening it?

The card is really rare, there probably won't be another ebay auction for another year or so.

Reply 48 of 88, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
F2bnp wrote:
sliderider wrote:
vetz wrote:

The card is really rare, there probably won't be another ebay auction for another year or so.

I might put in a high bid myself just to make sure it doesn't get opened. The last one that was opened sold for 463 GBP, which is like 720 USD. A sealed one will probably add 25-50% on top of that price. That's too much to throw away opening a sealed package.

Reply 49 of 88, by sunaiac

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I want to buy everything he sells 🙁

R9 3900X/X470 Taichi/32GB 3600CL15/5700XT AE/Marantz PM7005
i7 980X/R9 290X/X-Fi titanium | FX-57/X1950XTX/Audigy 2ZS
Athlon 1000T Slot A/GeForce 3/AWE64G | K5 PR 200/ET6000/AWE32
Ppro 200 1M/Voodoo 3 2000/AWE 32 | iDX4 100/S3 864 VLB/SB16

Reply 50 of 88, by subhuman@xgtx

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
sliderider wrote:
F2bnp wrote:
sliderider wrote:

I might put in a high bid myself just to make sure it doesn't get opened. The last one that was opened sold for 463 GBP, which is like 720 USD. A sealed one will probably add 25-50% on top of that price. That's too much to throw away opening a sealed package.

good luck with snipers

Reply 51 of 88, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

At least two people want it pretty badly. Someone just bid $310 with 26 minutes to go and didn't beat the high bid. it's at $315 now and will probably go at least double that.

Oh, and I am the king of the snipers. On another forum I used to go to I had in my signature an image that I made from ebay's power seller logo that I changed to say "power sniper" and attached an animated GIF of a smiley with a scoped rifle.

Reply 53 of 88, by Putas

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
sliderider wrote:

And it ends at $709.99. Slightly disappointing. I expected it to break $850, at least.

Would it be enough to motivate Creative to manufacture new batch? 🤣

Reply 54 of 88, by subhuman@xgtx

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
sliderider wrote:

At least two people want it pretty badly. Someone just bid $310 with 26 minutes to go and didn't beat the high bid. it's at $315 now and will probably go at least double that.

Oh, and I am the king of the snipers. On another forum I used to go to I had in my signature an image that I made from ebay's power seller logo that I changed to say "power sniper" and attached an animated GIF of a smiley with a scoped rifle.

it is hard to beat by yourself someone who's using an automated sniping service configured with a low lead time

Reply 55 of 88, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
subhuman@xgtx wrote:
sliderider wrote:

it is hard to beat by yourself someone who's using an automated sniping service configured with a low lead time

I can manually snipe at 2 seconds. Can you?

Reply 56 of 88, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Putas wrote:
sliderider wrote:

And it ends at $709.99. Slightly disappointing. I expected it to break $850, at least.

Would it be enough to motivate Creative to manufacture new batch? 🤣

No, because it would kill the prices if they did that. It is the rarity that drives the price. If Creative started a new production run and made a few hundred thousand of them to fill collector demand, they wouldn't sell for $700 anymore.

Reply 57 of 88, by d1stortion

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

A few hundred thousand? Haha, there's far less people on this whole planet that even know such a thing exists, let alone crazy enough collectors 🤣

Also, I don't see the point of sniping at all. For all there is you can place a bid some nanoseconds before the auction ends, but what use is it if someone placed a ridiculously high maximum bid beforehand?

Reply 58 of 88, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
d1stortion wrote:

A few hundred thousand? Haha, there's far less people on this whole planet that even know such a thing exists, let alone crazy enough collectors 🤣

Also, I don't see the point of sniping at all. For all there is you can place a bid some nanoseconds before the auction ends, but what use is it if someone placed a ridiculously high maximum bid beforehand?

The point is you don't know how high the high bid is and if you beat the high bidder in the closing seconds, it doesn't give him/her any time to come back with another bid.

Reply 59 of 88, by vetz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Seems the high prices lately have increased attention to the card and more people are putting them up for sale. Here is another one on Ebay:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Creative-3DBlaster-VL … ME:B:SS:US:1123

If anyone is curious to how the supported games perform on the 3D Blaster VLB, it is running on a AMD 5x86 P75-S 133@160mhz (says roughly equal to a Pentium 90 in the video, but it is more like the Pentium 75 tbh even overclocked) in this video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c7tTYwNDWlU

3D Accelerated Games List (Proprietary APIs - No 3DFX/Direct3D)
3D Acceleration Comparison Episodes