VOGONS

First post, by vmunix

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Any idea what this IBM board might be ? some scsi controller ? it has one 186 cpu + a bunch of z80
ibmcontroler.jpg
ibmcontro.jpg

it's not mine I was about to bid on it.

Attachments

• Filename
    ibm-controler.jpg
    File size
    189.39 KiB
    Downloads
    58 downloads
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Trailing edge computing.

Reply 2 of 8, by Old Thrashbarg

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

That's an old ARTIC card. It's basically a high-speed serial communications board, for things like ISDN, POS and credit card authorization systems, terminal servers, factory automation, and all sorts of other not-very-interesting stuff.

Reply 3 of 8, by vmunix

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Old Thrashbarg wrote:

That's an old ARTIC card. It's basically a high-speed serial communications board, for things like ISDN, POS and credit card authorization systems, terminal servers, factory automation, and all sorts of other not-very-interesting stuff.

haha! truly, I'll let it go then, besides surely worked with some bizzare OS like Xenix UNIX ware, OS2 or stuff like that. Thanks for the info.

Trailing edge computing.

Reply 5 of 8, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Old Thrashbarg wrote:

To be sure, there is undoubtedly still some business out there that is still dead-set against upgrading and will probably pay a premium for ancient replacement parts.

Reply 6 of 8, by vmunix

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Jorpho wrote:
Old Thrashbarg wrote:

To be sure, there is undoubtedly still some business out there that is still dead-set against upgrading and will probably pay a premium for ancient replacement parts.

I bid on it nevertheless $1, just because it is a cool full size ISA board, not sure if it worth the hassle or even paying the shipping, I hope someone outbid me 🤣

Trailing edge computing.

Reply 7 of 8, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Whoops, I missed that you were only thinking of bidding on it and that you didn't already own it.

Clearly you do not have enough useless computer parts cluttering your domicile. If this auction is any indication, things will change in short order.

Reply 8 of 8, by kao

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

The other day I saw that somebody won an Ebay auction and paid $60 for a DOS version of MS COBOL from 1993. Perhaps a business like you mentioned. Ebay sellers are also known to charge like $200 for 8" floppy drives, serial/LAN, SCSI cards, etc all because some company with old equipment that needs it to run will gladly pay that much money.