VOGONS

First post, by sirlemonhead

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hi everyone,

I've set up my pentium 2 pc with a soundblaster live! card which is working great in DOS (this is the card I used to use with this pc back when it was my current gaming rig)

I've recently got an external Roland SC-55 and want to use this with the pc. I've got a gameport to midi adapter that works great on my other pc with MT-32 and SB 16.

My problem is that in both Duke3D and Blood, if I select sound canvas or general midi from the music setup menu, the games will play the music through the line out of the soundcard rather than the midi coming from the SC-55. It's as if the SB Live! is emulating the Sound Canvas instead of me letting use the actual hardware?

Is there any way to disable this so I can use the SC-55?

Thanks!

Reply 1 of 10, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

You need to tell the Sound Card to use the external MIDI rather than the internal. How you do this I don't really know as I don't use such a card for DOS.

Usually there is a config file or some flags in the driver.

My website with reviews, demos, drivers, tutorials and more...
My YouTube channel

Reply 2 of 10, by Davros

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I found this quote (dont know if its true)

"Note also that the Sound Blaster Live! (I don't know of any other PCI sound cards with this problem, but I could be wrong.) does not allow use of the MPU-401 port in a DOS box under Windows 9x/ME so it is impossible in this instance to use an external MIDI device. "

ps: sblive manual if you want to search through it
http://www.manualowl.com/m/Creative%20Labs/SB … 0/Manual/242730

Guardian of the Sacred Five Terabyte's of Gaming Goodness

Reply 3 of 10, by elfuego

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Davros wrote:

"Note also that the Sound Blaster Live! (I don't know of any other PCI sound cards with this problem, but I could be wrong.) does not allow use of the MPU-401 port in a DOS box under Windows 9x/ME so it is impossible in this instance to use an external MIDI device. "

How very Creative. Live! is constantly climbing the "crappiest SB ever" ladder, isnt it?

What he could do is to maybe disable (or remove) every other MIDI output device in Windows 98 and load up Duke in DOS prompt. If it even then doenst work - then the note you pasted must be true.

Reply 4 of 10, by sirlemonhead

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Ah thanks for that...what a pain. I have a spare ISA soundcard I think i'll put in there and use for DOS only 😀 hopefully that'd work without too much resource management nightmares.. I'm still relearning all this stuff I used to know years ago 😀

Reply 5 of 10, by elianda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

While Creative sometimes deserves some bashing, I think in this case it is just an issue with the driver from Creative. Usually this software is designed as if the card is the only soundcard in this system...
So I would recommend to try the kxdrivers. You can configure every hardware feature available. This driver is really an eye opener towards getting full access to the features of a SB Live!. You can even drag'n drop DSP modules into the Emu10K and cable the in- and outputs with other modules as you like.
http://kxproject.lugosoft.com/down.php

By default it uses the black output jack for front speakers as they have better DACs.

Retronn.de - Vintage Hardware Gallery, Drivers, Guides, Videos. Now with file search
Youtube Channel
FTP Server - Driver Archive and more
DVI2PCIe alignment and 2D image quality measurement tool

Reply 6 of 10, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Ensoniq created this DOS driver so maybe it's more their fault that this functionality isnt there. I wonder what kind of DOS support EMU10K1 was to have before they bought Ensoniq.

Reply 8 of 10, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Well the OP has a Pentium 2. So yea, just get an ISA card!

My website with reviews, demos, drivers, tutorials and more...
My YouTube channel

Reply 9 of 10, by sirlemonhead

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Yeah I have one of those cheap Yamaha YMF cards that I'll put into the machine sometime today. Have one in my Pentium 1 machine and it works great 😀

Reply 10 of 10, by nforce4max

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

If all else you could search for a YMF724 based pci card with the SB link cable provided your board supports SB link for ISA dos support.

On a far away planet reading your posts in the year 10,191.