VOGONS

First post, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Aside from 3dfx cards, are there any other graphic cards which will work in GLQuake under WinNT 4.0? Wrapper OK but not preferred. NT4 only went up to DX3.

After the success of getting Quake II OpenGL mode working on a 486 with a Matrox G200, I decided to try GLQuake, but it hangs around at the loading screen and very very slowly displays console text over the course of several minutes. Is there any way to get this working with a Matrox G200? If not, which non-3dfx cards would work. The Rendition cards might work.

Plan your life wisely, you'll be dead before you know it.

Reply 2 of 9, by Davros

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

permedia 2 had opengl support iirc

edit:
Readme from STB Video Driver for Windows NT 4.0
Supported Products: STB GLyder MAX-2/2+ (which is a permedia 2)

Product files
-------------
DISK1
-----
| \STB.INF settings file for driver installation over network
\DISK1 disk identification file
\GLYDER.INF driver INF file for Windows NT Setup
\HEIDI.TXT Installation instructions for the 3DStudio Max driver
\README.TXT this file
\READMEJ.TXT this file translated to Japanese (DBCS)
\X86\NTPANEL.DLL STB Configurations Applet driver
\X86\GLINT.DLL display driver
\X86\GLINT.SYS miniport driver

DISK2
-----
\WGLINT.HDI 3D Studio Max Heidi driver
\GLYDER.INF driver INF file for Windows NT Setup -same as disk 1
\UNINSTAL.EXE Uninstall program for the device drivers
\X86\3DOGLDRV.DLL 3D OpenGL ICD driver
\X86\NTPANEL.HLP STB Configurations Applet help file

Guardian of the Sacred Five Terabyte's of Gaming Goodness

Reply 3 of 9, by SquallStrife

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

IIRC, we had a GeForce 256 when my dad was still using NT4, and I could play Quake 3 on that. So I bet you could coax GLQuake in to working! 😀

VogonsDrivers.com | Link | News Thread

Reply 4 of 9, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

The reason I asked which GL cards work with GLQuake is become that Quake readme file mentions that only some GL accelerated cards work with GLQuake.

I have solved the mystery with the Matrox G200 and GLQuake in WinNT. The issue was with the GLQuake.exe version which came with the Quake1-Windows installation disc. While this version worked, the problem was that it took several minutes just to go through the console loading screen. Even trying to quit the game took at least a minute. Once it got into the game, it ran fine though. Unfortunately, closing the console took so long, it was impossible to get an accurate timedemo score.

The solution:
I was able to download a QLQuake setup executable online which updates GLQuake. After that, there was no more lag with the console. I still needed to use the OpenGL32.DLL file which came with Quake2. Renaming the G200 ICD to OpenGL32.dll lead to an error, "The procedure entry point glColor3ubv could not be located in the dynamic link library OPENGL32.dll". I no longer recall where I downloaded the GLQuake update file and I tend to rename files after I download them so I can find them easier. Anyway, GLQuake runs great with the G200 now. With all the default settings, I got 13.5 fps at 640x480 on a Cyrix 5x86-133/4x. I can probably up it to 16 fps with some tuning.

Does anyone know how to change resolutions in GLQuake? It is not allowed from the Quake GUI like the DOS Quake; it says to use the console -width and -BPP command, but typing "-width 320", or "-width 320-200", or "width 320", etc, returns Unknown Command. I'd like to run GLQuake at 320x200 just to get some comparison with the DOS software mode 320-200. Thanks!

Reply 5 of 9, by vetz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Just create a shortcut to the .exe file. Add -width 320 -height 200 at the end. You can also add -bpp 16 if you would like 16bit colors

3D Accelerated Games List (Proprietary APIs - No 3DFX/Direct3D)
3D Acceleration Comparison Episodes

Reply 6 of 9, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
vetz wrote:

Just create a shortcut to the .exe file. Add -width 320 -height 200 at the end. You can also add -bpp 16 if you would like 16bit colors

Yup, that method works, however that resolution had issues for me. 640x480x16 works great though.

In case anyone else runs into this issue, I found that name of that GLQuake update/setup for Quake Windows that fixed everything for me. The file name is glq1114.exe

Reply 7 of 9, by dr.zeissler

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

How did you get Quake2 to run with the g200 in opengl? I do not get it working---
beside that, glheretic/glhexen/gldoom1+2 all do not work either because the opengl32.dll does nto support paletted textures.

Retro-Gamer 😀 ...on different machines

Reply 9 of 9, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I know GLQuake will run on a Matrox G200 and a Cyrix 5x86 in NT4 using the 5.06 version drivers. I ran it like that all the time.