VOGONS

First post, by vlask

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Long time i want to buy cheap EGA monitor for ega cards testing. Now i found 2 for good price, but dunno which one to buy.
One is AOC CM-312
Other one is SUN EGA 350.

Cant find any info about sun monitor. Both of them are from 1989 and should be working (but cant test it personally).

Is there any problems with ega monitors? Heard that you can destroy old monitors by setting wrong frequency on card. Did that ega monitors too, or are these late models already safe to use with any ega card?

Not only mine graphics cards collection at http://www.vgamuseum.info

Reply 1 of 14, by SquallStrife

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

You should try to find a Multisync monitor, then you have one that can do MDA, CGA, EGA, and VGA. Handy considering the real-estate requirements of CRTs.

VogonsDrivers.com | Link | News Thread

Reply 2 of 14, by vlask

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
SquallStrife wrote:

You should try to find a Multisync monitor, then you have one that can do MDA, CGA, EGA, and VGA. Handy considering the real-estate requirements of CRTs.

Eh, they do exist monitors with both ega 9pin and vga 15pin input cables? Cause i was living in reality where ega and vga monitors are diffent and each require different inputs. Never heard about hybrids.

Btw i have plenty of vga monitors, just need multisyng ega.

Reply 3 of 14, by idspispopd

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
vlask wrote:

Eh, they do exist monitors with both ega 9pin and vga 15pin input cables? Cause i was living in reality where ega and vga monitors are diffent and each require different inputs. Never heard about hybrids.

Take for example the NEC Multisync 3D. My father got one when he upgraded to a 286 with VGA. We only used it for VGA but it came with an adapter so you could connect HGC/CGA/EGA cards. You'd need to toggle a switch on the front of the monitor in that case.
Look at this thread:
http://www.vintage-computer.com/vcforum/showt … on-VGA-Adapters

I think there were several NEC Multisync models which offered that feature.

vlask wrote:

Btw i have plenty of vga monitors, just need multisyng ega.

The point was that it would save space to use a single monitor both for EGA and VGA.[/quote]

Reply 4 of 14, by elianda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I think the Targa TM1480 are not bad. You can switch between analog and digital RGB.

Retronn.de - Vintage Hardware Gallery, Drivers, Guides, Videos. Now with file search
Youtube Channel
FTP Server - Driver Archive and more
DVI2PCIe alignment and 2D image quality measurement tool

Reply 5 of 14, by bestemor

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I am strongly considering buying this thingy, but not 100% sure how it will work. AND, I would have to ask someone in the US to actually purchase it for me first... 🙁 ("...International sales will NOT be excepted.")

Arcade Game RGB/CGA/EGA/YUV to VGA Video Converter HD:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/330605923350

But looks like it can make any modern LCD show EGA/CGA video, albeit in VGA form... So perhaps not the thing to buy if one wants the real deal resolution. Even so it would be great to have a replacement option for when the 30 year old monitors finally croak, 😁 🤣

Reply 6 of 14, by VileR

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Be wary of those "arcade RGB" to VGA converters when it comes to real CGA/EGA cards... some match the specs on frequencies but have the sync polarity wrong; others don't connect the Intensity pin (for CGA and low-res EGA - there's a reason it was called "RGBI").

[ WEB ] - [ BLOG ] - [ TUBE ] - [ CODE ]

Reply 8 of 14, by MaxWar

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I once tried to find an EGA monitor for a decent price, no such luck. For now i settled with the CGA monitor i got with my Tandy.

FM sound card comparison on a Grand Scale!!
The Grand OPL3 Comparison Run.

Reply 9 of 14, by VileR

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

there was this company selling brand new LCDs modified to take CGA/EGA input (specifically for legacy PC equipment, not arcade boards) - in "authentic" sizes even (12"-14", 4:3). They had a youtube video demonstrating one of those.... though if I remember correctly, the price tag was >$300 (!!)

[ WEB ] - [ BLOG ] - [ TUBE ] - [ CODE ]

Reply 10 of 14, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
VileRancour wrote:

there was this company selling brand new LCDs modified to take CGA/EGA input (specifically for legacy PC equipment, not arcade boards) - in "authentic" sizes even (12"-14", 4:3). They had a youtube video demonstrating one of those.... though if I remember correctly, the price tag was >$300 (!!)

Old tech isn't necessarily cheap to manufacture just because it is old especially if they are only making them in small production runs.

Reply 11 of 14, by SquallStrife

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
MaxWar wrote:

I once tried to find an EGA monitor for a decent price, no such luck. For now i settled with the CGA monitor i got with my Tandy.

CGA monitors don't generally do 21kHz though?

Reply 12 of 14, by MaxWar

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
SquallStrife wrote:
MaxWar wrote:

CGA monitors don't generally do 21kHz though?

Honestly I dunno. My initial reasoning was that EGA monitors are also compatible with CGA cards so it seemed logical to get a monitor that covers both.

But in restrospect, I was mostly interesting in CGA support as it was the harder part to cover with VGA cards retrocompatibility.

When I got the Tandy I played around with those cool CGA games on the tandy monitor, it was great and i guess it cooled off the urge to get that EGA monitor. Not saying that i would not still grab it if I found one local for cheap or something.

FM sound card comparison on a Grand Scale!!
The Grand OPL3 Comparison Run.

Reply 13 of 14, by SquallStrife

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Ah OK. Just for fun, I tried to use the Toshiba T3200 with my 1084S monitor (using the same cable I made to connect the Tandy 1000 to it), the signals get through and the colours look right, but it's totally out-of-sync. Essentially, EGA modes like 640x350 and the text mode 720x350 wont sync on 15kHz CGA monitors.

*hugs multisync monitor*

Reply 14 of 14, by vlask

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

So i got AOC, price was in the end 3x more than SUN (someone wanted it too - auction site), but got it today and its working fine. CGA and EGA modes are ok, just dunno why's there that color changing - maybe for background in text resolutions, cause in ega or cga graphical modes it loose some details.
Seems to not supporting Hercules modes - at last integrated card in commodore pc wasnt sending there anything usefull (edit: confirmed - no hercules - broken screen).
On photo prince in cga mode (commodore support cga or hercules only). Tests with other cards (including IBM EGA) were done on 486 board.

egamon.jpg