Socket 370 to Tualatin Converter!?

Topic actions

Reply 20 of 38, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
cdoublejj wrote:
I never had nor knew of slockets with Tualatin support, what i did was use a slocket AND socket adapter in a big giant sandwich. […]
Show full quote

I never had nor knew of slockets with Tualatin support, what i did was use a slocket AND socket adapter in a big giant sandwich.

6z7evn.jpg

Dell XPS R450 450mhz How To upgrade to 1.4ghz

Powerleap and Upgradeware made them. I have two of the Powerleap ones. The only problem with them is if your motherboard does not support 133mhz, then you have to use Tualerons or else you won't get the full benefit of having a Tualatin chip.

Reply 21 of 38, by vetz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Note that the Upgradeware adapter only does PIN reconfiguration, not voltage, which the powerleap does in addition to the pins.

So if you have a Slot 1 440bx motherboard that supports v1.45, then both will work (along with just the CPU itself with the pin mod).

3D Accelerated Games List (Proprietary APIs - No 3DFX/Direct3D)
3D Acceleration Comparison Episodes

Reply 22 of 38, by gerwin

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Actually, There is a Voltage regulating chip on the Upgradeware Slot-T (a TVC16222A 22-bit voltage clamp). I guess it does change the voltage, but still depends on the motherboard VRM to supply the current to work with.

--> ISA Soundcard Overview // Doom MBF 2.04 // SetMul

Reply 23 of 38, by sgt76

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Tetrium wrote:

I wonder what will happen if you put one of those modded Tualatins in a real Tualatin board though?

It'll work fine. I've got a pin-modded PIII-S 1.4ghz and it worked in a Tually capable board with 0 issues. Too bad the board died, so I had to find a suitable non-Tually board as Tually boards are really rare here. That was a bigger challenge.

I couldn't get it to work in any MSI 6905, some other boards it ran fine but didn't achieve my targeted o/c. Finally I achieved a rock solid 1.6ghz in my Jetway 618AF !

Reply 24 of 38, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
sgt76 wrote:

I couldn't get it to work in any MSI 6905, some other boards it ran fine but didn't achieve my targeted o/c. Finally I achieved a rock solid 1.6ghz in my Jetway 618AF !

Do you really get much benefit out of overclocking a Tualatin board from 1.4 to 1.6 GHz?

Plan your life wisely, you'll be dead before you know it.

Reply 25 of 38, by tincup

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
cdoublejj wrote:

I never had nor knew of slockets with Tualatin support, what i did was use a slocket AND socket adapter in a big giant sandwich.
Dell XPS R450 450mhz How To upgrade to 1.4ghz

That's what I did. I have a couple of slotkets, one with correct voltage settings. Snagging a Tualatin converter off eBay was much less expensive and easier to find than going PowerLeap. The only down side so far is that the 'slot sandwich' is a bit side-heavy, and it doesn't look all that spiffy either. But it works!

Reply 27 of 38, by Standard Def Steve

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
feipoa wrote:
sgt76 wrote:

Do you really get much benefit out of overclocking a Tualatin board from 1.4 to 1.6 GHz?

Made a big difference in my system. The overclock made many of my games run noticeably faster, and it even made 720p AVC playback completely smooth. I think the increased bus speed is what did it; P3's SDR FSB always seemed to be a major bottleneck. Tualatin would've been one heck of a chip with a DDR bus.

Edit: Then again, I use a TUV4X (VIA) board. Perhaps overclocking an i815 makes less of a difference.

Reply 28 of 38, by lanshan75

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I have been annoyed by this problem for a long time,so thank you for your post, it is really useful for me.

minmin

Reply 29 of 38, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Standard Def Steve wrote:
feipoa wrote:
sgt76 wrote:

Made a big difference in my system. The overclock made many of my games run noticeably faster, and it even made 720p AVC playback completely smooth. I think the increased bus speed is what did it; P3's SDR FSB always seemed to be a major bottleneck. Tualatin would've been one heck of a chip with a DDR bus.

Edit: Then again, I use a TUV4X (VIA) board. Perhaps overclocking an i815 makes less of a difference.

I am currently setting up a dual Tualatin system to replace my aging dual Coppermine 850. This particular dual Tualatin board uses DDR RAM. The best it will handle is DDR266 with CL2, which is PC2100 CL2, or PC2700 CL2.5 (more common, and also works as PC2100 at CL2). Using Cachechk7, I get 744 MB/s read and 395 MB/s write. This board cannot be overclocked beyond a 133 MHz FSB, so it maxed at 1.4 GHz Tualatin III-S, although the memory data rate is effectively 266 MHz w/CL2, non-ECC.

By way of comparison, a dual Tualatin PIII-S 1.4 GHz with standard PC133 SDRAM and an Intel ServerWorks ServerSet III LE gets 696 MB/s read and 397 MB/s write with Cachechk7. The ServerSet III LE, though, is using buffered ECC RAM, so some decreased performance is expected.

I have not yet bompared the two with Windows benchmarks. 696 MB/s to 744 MB/s is not exactly something to be wowed by, but at least it is something. I am curious what cachechk7 read/write values do you get with your 1.6 GHz overclocked system? CL2, CL2.5, or CL3?

You can use the command: "cachechk -d -t4" for a quick memory read test
and the command: "cachechk -d -w -t8" for a quick memory write test.

Reply 30 of 38, by Standard Def Steve

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
feipoa wrote:
I am currently setting up a dual Tualatin system to replace my aging dual Coppermine 850. This particular dual Tualatin board u […]
Show full quote
feipoa wrote:

I am currently setting up a dual Tualatin system to replace my aging dual Coppermine 850. This particular dual Tualatin board uses DDR RAM. The best it will handle is DDR266 with CL2, which is PC2100 CL2, or PC2700 CL2.5 (more common, and also works as PC2100 at CL2). Using Cachechk7, I get 744 MB/s read and 395 MB/s write. This board cannot be overclocked beyond a 133 MHz FSB, so it maxed at 1.4 GHz Tualatin III-S, although the memory data rate is effectively 266 MHz w/CL2, non-ECC.

By way of comparison, a dual Tualatin PIII-S 1.4 GHz with standard PC133 SDRAM and an Intel ServerWorks ServerSet III LE gets 696 MB/s read and 397 MB/s write with Cachechk7. The ServerSet III LE, though, is using buffered ECC RAM, so some decreased performance is expected.

I have not yet bompared the two with Windows benchmarks. 696 MB/s to 744 MB/s is not exactly something to be wowed by, but at least it is something. I am curious what cachechk7 read/write values do you get with your 1.6 GHz overclocked system? CL2, CL2.5, or CL3?

You can use the command: "cachechk -d -t4" for a quick memory read test
and the command: "cachechk -d -w -t8" for a quick memory write test.

P3-S at 1.6GHz (152MHz FSB) on Asus TUV4x (Apollo Pro 133T):
1.5GB of generic PC133 @ 152MHz

Memory read: 851.4MB/s (1.2ns/byte) (7.5 clks)
Memory write: 575.1MB/s (1.8ns/byte) (11.1 clks)
Effective RAM access time (read) is 9ns
Effective RAM access time (write) is 12ns
L2 cache write: 7644MB/s (0.1ns/byte) (0.8 clks)

Reply 31 of 38, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
P3-S at 1.6GHz (152MHz FSB) on Asus TUV4x (Apollo Pro 133T): 1.5GB of generic PC133 @ 152MHz […]
Show full quote

That is a pretty big jump in memory throughput from 744 MB/s. For comparison, what memory read/write speeds do you get at a 133 MHz FSB? For 152 MHz, is your memory set at CL2 or CL3?

Reply 32 of 38, by Standard Def Steve

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
feipoa wrote:
P3-S at 1.6GHz (152MHz FSB) on Asus TUV4x (Apollo Pro 133T): 1.5GB of generic PC133 @ 152MHz […]
Show full quote

That is a pretty big jump in memory throughput from 744 MB/s. For comparison, what memory read/write speeds do you get at a 133 MHz FSB? For 152 MHz, is your memory set at CL2 or CL3?

At 133MHz FSB:

Memory read: 746.5MB/s (1.4ns/byte) (7.5 clks)
Memory write: 504.2MB/s (2.1ns/byte) (11.1 clks)
Effective RAM access time (read) is 11ns
Effective RAM access time (write) is 13ns
L2 cache write: 6702MB/s (0.2ns/byte) (0.8 clks)

RAM set at CL2 for both bus speeds, which I think is pretty impressive for generic PC133. 😁

Reply 33 of 38, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
At 133MHz FSB: […]
Show full quote

At 133MHz FSB:

Memory read: 746.5MB/s (1.4ns/byte) (7.5 clks)
Memory write: 504.2MB/s (2.1ns/byte) (11.1 clks)
Effective RAM access time (read) is 11ns
Effective RAM access time (write) is 13ns
L2 cache write: 6702MB/s (0.2ns/byte) (0.8 clks)

RAM set at CL2 for both bus speeds, which I think is pretty impressive for generic PC133. :happyhappy:

The write speed seems quite high. Do you have a screenshot image for this?
Is your PC133 memory stick capable of CL2 or CL3 at 133 MHz? It will say on the chip specification sheet. I would even be surprised if a CL2 stick can be run at 152 MHz (in CL2) for an error-free system. I'd feel safer with a CL2 133 MHz stick at 152 MHz in CL3 mode.

Reply 34 of 38, by sgt76

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
feipoa wrote:

I would even be surprised if a CL2 stick can be run at 152 MHz (in CL2) for an error-free system. I'd feel safer with a CL2 133 MHz stick at 152 MHz in CL3 mode.

It can be done, I've run Hynix CL3 133 sticks at 150mhz CL2 on an Aopen AX33 but ATM they can only do 152mhz CL3 on a Jetway 618AF. I'd reckon CL2 133 would do 152 CL2 np.

Reply 35 of 38, by Standard Def Steve

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
feipoa wrote:

The write speed seems quite high. Do you have a screenshot image for this?
Is your PC133 memory stick capable of CL2 or CL3 at 133 MHz? It will say on the chip specification sheet. I would even be surprised if a CL2 stick can be run at 152 MHz (in CL2) for an error-free system. I'd feel safer with a CL2 133 MHz stick at 152 MHz in CL3 mode.

Write speed at 133MHz FSB:
133write.jpg

Write speed at 152MHz FSB:

152write.jpg

All three sticks are CL3/PC133 modules, but they seem to run just fine at CL2/152MHz. Haven't had a single BSoD or corrupted file in the year I've owned this machine.

Reply 36 of 38, by stuntman

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Pretty old thread but i'll try anyway.. First, hello to you all, new member here. Was sufring and i saw this forum, pretty much interesting things going on here. My ancient P3 is still alive and I use it here and then, it's all modded up and still working. After this pics and all that memory benchmarks i tried one on my own. Just to make everything clear: MB is MSI 6309 (Via 133A chip) with open BIOS for all features and inserted codes for 1.4ghz Tualatin 512kb. Bad thing it's only recognized as 1.26ghz but all other Windows based programs tell 1.4ghz. CPU : SL6BY pinmoded; no linlin adapters or anyting, just good old soldering on cpu. CPU cooler is Thermaltake volcano 12 and it fits just fine ! Memory ;
3x512 mb of mixed PC133 memory. Got one stick thats CL2 ; 7ns chips and other two are 7,5ns chips, just plain CL3. I tested memory in chachechk while booting on Win98SE bootable flopy disk and this is what I got :
Can anyone explain ?

Somewhere I saw dual tualatin boards thread..I've got few and theyre all for sale. Ebay is just showing some unreal numbers for that boards 🤣...

Attachments

• Filename
    s2.JPG
    File size
    89.72 KiB
    Downloads
    No downloads
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception
  • Filename
    s1.JPG
    File size
    70 KiB
    Downloads
    No downloads
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 37 of 38, by cdoublejj

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
gerwin wrote:

Actually, There is a Voltage regulating chip on the Upgradeware Slot-T (a TVC16222A 22-bit voltage clamp). I guess it does change the voltage, but still depends on the motherboard VRM to supply the current to work with.

the one i pictured didn't have an auxiliary power input, it ended up killing the board, if i had known what i do today , i would have switch out the VRM(s) for a better one and slapped a heat sink on it.