VOGONS

First post, by Kahenraz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I've got a small collection of Sound Blasters but as I get more and more into building my retro computer I've discovered that Sound Blasters are actually pretty lousy midi synthesizers.

So now I'm looking to pair an ISA card and external MPU-401 synth for some really nice tones.

Here is a link to my Amibay listing:

http://www.amibay.com/showthread.php?t=38578

Will trade for items in my other sales listings.

Also, I would appreciate any education that any of you can provide on what it is I'm looking for; as in, if there is something else I should consider, different synths, another ISA card (I have no MPU-401 compatible cards at the moment).

Thank you. 😀

And shame on those of you hoarding those LAPC-I boards. 🤣

Last edited by Kahenraz on 2012-12-19, 16:03. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 1 of 14, by vetz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Don't forget the MT-100. It is also MT-32 compatible and often overlooked and cheaper 😀

Probably it will be harder to find a MIDI ISA card with support for intelligent mode than the external synth device.. They don't pop up often on Ebay. Again, look for the clone cards as well, like the Midiman-MM 401.

3D Accelerated Games List (Proprietary APIs - No 3DFX/Direct3D)
3D Acceleration Comparison Episodes

Reply 2 of 14, by F2bnp

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

The CM-500 seems like a sweet deal, but I don't see it often. It basically combines a CM-32 and a SC-55B.

I myself have a "puny" Roland SC-7. This thing is rather small compared to other beasts, but it sounds pretty much identical to a real SC-55 in games.
It lacks the CM-32 presets, though it's not much of a problem since few games actually use the standard presets. Most MT-32 compatible games upload their own presets to the MT-32/CM-32, however no Sound Canvas had programmable memory, so it almost always sounded wrong.
Now, would I recommend the SC-7? Yes, if you can find it at a reasonable price. I got mine for about 50 euro a couple of years ago and it is amazing 😁

Another thing, what does your avatar display? It looks like a gouraud shaded landscape or something 😜

Reply 3 of 14, by vetz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
F2bnp wrote:

Now, would I recommend the SC-7? Yes, if you can find it at a reasonable price. I got mine for about 50 euro a couple of years ago and it is amazing 😁

Sorry, but what kind of overprice did you pay for that? You can get a full SC55mkII for that price (and I've seen a some in 2012). That is what I paid for mine. I got my SC7 for 15 euro and my CM32 for 40 euro. It's all about looking locally for Roland devices! Check flea markets, garage sales, local newspaper ads, local "craigslists" websites, etc. Many people used their Roland devices for music creation and are selling it without the knowledge it can be used for computer games. My advice is for Roland, don't go on Ebay unless you want to get ripped off.

Reply 4 of 14, by F2bnp

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Well, I live in Greece, so finding stuff like that is pretty much impossible! I think it was a fair price, especially on the condition I got it (not to mention the shipping).
How on earth did you manage to find one for 15 euro though? Whoever sold it to you must have been ignorant!
I'd love to get my hands on a CM-32 as well, can't find one for a reasonable price either though!

Reply 5 of 14, by vetz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Hehe, maybe they are more knowledgeable of what they are selling in Greece than in Scandinavia. Here most of the time they just want to get rid of it to clear up space. So they take a picture, write down the model name and post it at a price (usually cheap for Roland stuff compared to Ebay). The good thing about music devices is that people tend to think others might need it so they put it up for sale. AT cabinets/machines are almost impossible to find here. People give them for free to recycling as it is 1. less trouble 2. they don't think anyone is interested in such old computers.

Add to that there are few collectors in Scandinavia (my SC7 was sold on an auction site!) who buys the stuff. The only one I know about are bestemor here on Vogons.

Reply 6 of 14, by archsan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
vetz wrote:

Probably it will be harder to find a MIDI ISA card with support for intelligent mode than the external synth device..

That's what I thought before I bought a couple sets of MPU-IPC-T (card + breakout box) for pretty cheap, much less than some listings for the breakout box only. One of them even came in its original box. Maybe I got lucky as the sellers seemed to not care about the market price.

One trick I've learned with ebay is that you shouldn't rely on the search feature in the local site/the one you registered on, because often it doesn't list all available international listings. Try a few other locations also to round up the options (and also google).

As for the external modules, I'll go with vetz on buying local, especially from musicians or studio technicians (not retro collectors!).

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."—Arthur C. Clarke
"No way. Installing the drivers on these things always gives me a headache."—Guybrush Threepwood (on cutting-edge voodoo technology)

Reply 8 of 14, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

your best bet would be a SCC-1 IMHO... they show up often on eBay but expect to pay 60-80e AFAIK
they combine a very good 4MB GM synth and a full mpu 401-at interface so you can plug whatever external synth you desire

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 9 of 14, by SquallStrife

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

DonutKing (who's also from here) responded to your thread on AmiBay. He's a top bloke, and what he's offering is a good deal.

VogonsDrivers.com | Link | News Thread

Reply 10 of 14, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
SquallStrife wrote:

DonutKing (who's also from here) responded to your thread on AmiBay. He's a top bloke, and what he's offering is a good deal.

QFT 😁

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 11 of 14, by DonutKing

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

crawl out of my arse you two!

😀

It's all good, Kahenraz and I are discussing a trade via PM.

If you are squeamish, don't prod the beach rubble.

Reply 13 of 14, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Yea that's a good deal! Just buy it 😀

My website with reviews, demos, drivers, tutorials and more...
My YouTube channel

Reply 14 of 14, by Kahenraz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Yarr. Found a shop in Ohio with a D-110.. He also says he just sold an old midi card with breakout box probably for the original MPU-401 a week before. First sales person EVER to know what an ISA card is. He said it- not me!

Negotiating with DonutKing on Amibay, of course. Shipping from AU to the US is expensive.

Will have something setup at some point. Can't wait to join the club.