VOGONS

First post, by Yawnald

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hey guys! I've been looking to swap my CUSL2-Cs for TUSL2-C boards with p3 1.4s cpus for a long time (for a reasonable price). Last weekend, I found these:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/160938353762?ssPageNa … 984.m1423.l2649

He had 5. At $30 bucks NIB, I figured "Why not?!", and bought 3 of them.
Do any of you know off the top of your heads what the difference is between these and the -C variant? If it's anything like the CUSL2, then the difference lies in on-board audio and vga port. I would rather not have these things, but for $30 brand new, I'll deal with having them present but disabled. 😀

Reply 1 of 33, by Yawnald

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Oh, and with the latest beta bios (of which asus is very vague on the details), I've heard these take the 1.4s just fine.

Mr. Tualatin

Reply 2 of 33, by NitroX infinity

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

TUSL2 seems to have onboard audio and TUSL2-C onboard video

http://reviews.cnet.com/motherboards/asus-tus … 7-31104560.html
http://reviews.cnet.com/motherboards/asus-tus … 7-30048765.html

NitroX infinity's 3D Accelerators Arena | Yamaha RPA YGV611 & RPA2 YGV612 Info

Reply 4 of 33, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

With Asus you can check all the downloads, manuals, BIOS here: http://support.asus.com/download.aspx?SLangua … 19&hashedid=n/a

It's so good that companies like Asus or Gigabyte still have these available 😀

Unfortunately the CPU support list doesn't mention the 1.4 GHz Pentium 3, only the 1.2 and so does the box...

My website with reviews, demos, drivers, tutorials and more...
My YouTube channel

Reply 6 of 33, by Anonymous Coward

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I had a TUSLC-C which I used for six years on my primary box. I seem to recall lousy integrated audio, which made me upgrade to an SB Live 5.1. The main issue with the board (as in all i815 boards) was the 512mb SDRAM limitation. Somehow I managed to get by with only 512mb for those painful six years because I hated the Pee4 and Asslon power pigs everyone was running at the time. Overall, I really liked this board, but I believe there is a fatal bug in the south bridge which fries IDE drives.

"Will the highways on the internets become more few?" -Gee Dubya
V'Ger XT|Upgraded AT|Ultimate 386|Super VL/EISA 486|SMP VL/EISA Pentium

Reply 8 of 33, by noshutdown

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Chewhacca wrote:

Strange, I used to have a TUSL2-C and it didn't have onboard vga or audio.

tusl2 uses 815eb chipset and has onboard vga and audio.
tusl2c uses 815epb chipset and has no onboard vga, different revisions may have audio or not.

Reply 9 of 33, by noshutdown

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Chewhacca wrote:

Also, never lost a hard drive. 😁

don't remember the widely used ich2 southbridge(used by 810e, 815e, 850/850e, 845) had such a bug that damage hard drives.
most destroyed hard drives are due to:
1.power supply
2.inherently defective quality of the drive
3.broken ide port of the board.

Reply 11 of 33, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Mau1wurf1977 wrote:

With Asus you can check all the downloads, manuals, BIOS here: http://support.asus.com/download.aspx?SLangua … 19&hashedid=n/a

It's so good that companies like Asus or Gigabyte still have these available 😀

Unfortunately the CPU support list doesn't mention the 1.4 GHz Pentium 3, only the 1.2 and so does the box...

Apparently you're right. It appears both these ASUS boards won't work with the Tualatin-s chips, only with the standard Tualatins and the Tualerons.
Still could try and overclock one of those Tualerons though.
Shame really, the lack of Tualatin-s support kinda diminishes the usefulness of these 2 boards (TUSL2 and TUSL2-C) as the normal Tualatin chip goes only till 1.2Ghz and the Tualarons, even though they go up to 1.4Ghz, which of course have slower performance due to their 100Mhz FSB.

For these boards, the best bet would be to overclock a Tualeron 1.2Ghz to 1.6Ghz or so if you really want a lot more performance then a 1Ghz Coppermine will give you 😜

Kahenraz wrote:

That is a verrrrry nice motherboard. However, my rule of thumb is: no ISA, no buy! 😜

Then for Pentium 3's you'll be stuck with VIA chipsets 😜
They supposedly have slower performance (offsetting the increased performance Tualatin has to offer over the Coppermine), but will work with up to 1.5GB RAM from top of my head. Not all VIA Tualatin boards came with ISA slots though, I'll go do some reading which ones do.

Also, there may be some Intel i815 boards with support for Tualatins and one or more ISA slots, but those will be using a bridge chip. Not sure if those bridged ISA slots will have the same capabilities as the normal ISA slots have.

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 12 of 33, by 5u3

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Tetrium wrote:
Mau1wurf1977 wrote:

Apparently you're right. It appears both these ASUS boards won't work with the Tualatin-s chips, only with the standard Tualatins and the Tualerons.

My Asus TUSL2-C rev. 1.04 worked fine with a 1.4 GHz Pentium III-S SL5XL.
The lack of an ISA slot took away most of the fun for me though, so I've put it into storage and moved back to Athlon/KT133A.

Reply 13 of 33, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
5u3 wrote:

My Asus TUSL2-C rev. 1.04 worked fine with a 1.4 GHz Pentium III-S SL5XL.
The lack of an ISA slot took away most of the fun for me though, so I've put it into storage and moved back to Athlon/KT133A.

I've been doing some more reading on the net and saw different reports of people who's boards either didn't work with PIII-S and some who's boards did.
It seems a bit hit and miss. And anyway, even if a board doesn't officially support it, it doesn't hurt to try.

Thanks for the feedback 5u3, now theres some hope for my own TUSL2-C boards 🤣!

Edit:There aren't many options for native Tualatin support and ISA. I found only a handful boards including these:
-GA-6VTXE (one ISA slot)
-GA-6VTX (one ISA slot)
-SY-7VBA133U (2 ISA slots)
Theres also the Jetway 694TAS, but Jetway isn't really that good a brand...but at least it's an option.
No idea if these boards also support the PIII-S though, but chances are usually good that they do.

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 14 of 33, by Yawnald

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

My 1.4s cpus got here today, the boards arrive tomorrow. I'm gonna install whatever cu mine I have laying around, replace the old cr2032s, and flash the boards to 1014 beta right away. Then I'll see if I get lucky with the 1.4s.

I'll keep you guys posted!

Mr. Tualatin

Reply 15 of 33, by Yawnald

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

It works! I flashed the boards from 1009a to 1014t beta and the 1.4s works like a charm! Quick little bugger for a p3!

Mr. Tualatin

Reply 16 of 33, by Yawnald

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

And, man oh man, opening those boxes and smelling that new hardware from so many years ago... Awesome!
The poor old cr2032s were showing .014V hahahahaha

Mr. Tualatin

Reply 17 of 33, by Anonymous Coward

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I'll see what I can find out about the i815 boards frying IDE drives. Remember when these boards came out almost nobody was running them because they had all moved on to P4 and Athlon, so there isn't nearly as much information available as say with the BX generation. I wouldn't blow off my warning on the chipset frying drives. Prior to buying the TUSL2-C a friend who owned the same board warned me about this problem, which I didn't notice until a few years later. I was using a pretty high quality power supply with a clean power source and a UPS. I'll do some digging and see if I can find any bulletins on this issue.

"Will the highways on the internets become more few?" -Gee Dubya
V'Ger XT|Upgraded AT|Ultimate 386|Super VL/EISA 486|SMP VL/EISA Pentium

Reply 18 of 33, by Yawnald

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I've been running cusl2-c 815 boards for a long time now. No problems to report as far as the ide drives. I'll do some more looking into it too. I hope this doesn't become an issue for me... 🙁

Reply 19 of 33, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Anonymous Coward wrote:

I had a TUSLC-C which I used for six years on my primary box. I seem to recall lousy integrated audio, which made me upgrade to an SB Live 5.1. The main issue with the board (as in all i815 boards) was the 512mb SDRAM limitation. Somehow I managed to get by with only 512mb for those painful six years because I hated the Pee4 and Asslon power pigs everyone was running at the time.

I am still regularly using my TUSL2-C, but having wrestled with XP and 512 MB of RAM for these past few years has finally driven me to the brink.