VOGONS

Reply 21 of 33, by Yawnald

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Heh, these things are awesome. Rock solid.

I just decided to take my cusl2-c boards/1GHz cu-mine cpus back out of retirement and build two more win98se gaming machines. 4 machine LAN setup! Yesss!

Reply 22 of 33, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Yawnald wrote:

Heh, these things are awesome. Rock solid.

I just decided to take my cusl2-c boards/1GHz cu-mine cpus back out of retirement and build two more win98se gaming machines. 4 machine LAN setup! Yesss!

Specs of your LAN rigs please! 😁
And pics! 😁

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 23 of 33, by Yawnald

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Oh man, this is gonna be a long post! Here we go...

Nix:
P3-S 1.4
TUSL2 (brand new)
512MB Micron pc133
Geforce TI-4600 (brand new)
Soundblaster Live! CT4760
Intel pro CT 1000 NIC
WD 120GB SE (8MB) HDD
Sony FDD
DVD ROM
Unicomp Model M KB
Orig logitech optical mouse
NEC 1560v+ monitor
Win98SE

Hydra:
P3-S 1.4
TUSL2 (brand new)
512MB Micron pc133
Geforce TI-4600 (brand new)
Intel pro CT 1000 NIC
WD 120GB SE (8MB) HDD
Sony FDD
DVD ROM
Unicomp Model M KB
Orig logitech optical mouse
NEC 1560v+ monitor
Win98SE

Charon:
P3 1.0
CUSL2-C
512MB Micron pc133
Geforce 2 Ultra (brand new)
Intel pro 100 NIC
Maxtor 80GB HDD
Sony FDD
DVD ROM
Generic KB
Generic optical mouse
NEC 1560v+ monitor
Win98SE

P4:
P3 1.0
CUSL2-C
256MB crap pc133
Geforce 2 Ultra (brand new)
Intel pro 100 NIC
Maxtor 20GB HDD
Generic FDD
DVD ROM
Generic KB
Generic optical mouse
NEC 1560v+ monitor
Win98SE

Pics soon!!!!!!

Mr. Tualatin

Reply 25 of 33, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Yawnald wrote:

-snip-
Pics soon!!!!!!

Do you use them in a LAN btw? For LAN parties? 😁
I got a couple P3's myself but messed 2 of them up when I installed some Unreal XP-only patch so most older games won't even run on them anymore 🤣. They need a reinstall but I'm just too lazy to do that 😜
And dang, 500W PSU?
😁

Edit:Do you use the unofficial Service Pack on your installs of 98SE?

Report spammers here!

Reply 26 of 33, by Yawnald

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Tetrium wrote:
Do you use them in a LAN btw? For LAN parties? :D I got a couple P3's myself but messed 2 of them up when I installed some Unrea […]
Show full quote
Yawnald wrote:

-snip-
Pics soon!!!!!!

I got a couple P3's myself but messed 2 of them up when I installed some Unreal XP-only patch so most older games won't even run on them anymore 🤣. They need a reinstall but I'm just too lazy to do that 😜
And dang, 500W PSU?
😁

Yep, the wife and I have a couple friends over almost every weekend and play games. We have 4 new machines set up as well. This coming weekend will be the first weekend that all of the p3 machines are up and running! Red alert 2 time! 🤣 😁

Yeah, I run the uSP on all of them. And the PSUs, they're temp units until my other rosewill RV350s show up. The 500s only have 20A on the +5 rail... Kinda scary. 😵 It's getting harder and harder to find a decent 20 pin 5V centric psu. 🙁

Reply 27 of 33, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Yawnald wrote:
Tetrium wrote:
Do you use them in a LAN btw? For LAN parties? :D I got a couple P3's myself but messed 2 of them up when I installed some Unrea […]
Show full quote
Yawnald wrote:

-snip-
Pics soon!!!!!!

And dang, 500W PSU?
😁

Yep, the wife and I have a couple friends over almost every weekend and play games. We have 4 new machines set up as well. This coming weekend will be the first weekend that all of the p3 machines are up and running! Red alert 2 time! 🤣 😁

Yeah, I run the uSP on all of them. And the PSUs, they're temp units until my other rosewill RV350s show up. The 500s only have 20A on the +5 rail... Kinda scary. 😵 It's getting harder and harder to find a decent 20 pin 5V centric psu. 🙁

Definitely getting harder to find good 5v PSU's. I use older 300W PSU's in my P3 rigs. I also wanted to try out my P3's in a LAN, but couldn't get the IPX thingy to work (was trying out Z in a LAN).
I think I have a P3s-1400 machine, a P3 933 (i810 chipset Slot 1) and a Celeron 800 rig on a s370 BX board. I also have a couple P3 1000 rigs but they have XP on them 😜
I think 20A on the 5v rail should be enough for any P3? It's Athlon that requires a huge amount on the 5v rail (unless it's one of those Socket A boards that have a separate 4pin 12v connector).
Pentium 3 dissipates 35W at the most from top of my head, less then half of what a fast clocked Athlon (XP) will eat.

Report spammers here!

Reply 28 of 33, by Yawnald

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Tetrium wrote:
Definitely getting harder to find good 5v PSU's. I use older 300W PSU's in my P3 rigs. I also wanted to try out my P3's in a LAN […]
Show full quote
Yawnald wrote:
Tetrium wrote:
Show full quote

And dang, 500W PSU?
😁

Definitely getting harder to find good 5v PSU's. I use older 300W PSU's in my P3 rigs. I also wanted to try out my P3's in a LAN, but couldn't get the IPX thingy to work (was trying out Z in a LAN).
I think I have a P3s-1400 machine, a P3 933 (i810 chipset Slot 1) and a Celeron 800 rig on a s370 BX board. I also have a couple P3 1000 rigs but they have XP on them 😜
I think 20A on the 5v rail should be enough for any P3? It's Athlon that requires a huge amount on the 5v rail (unless it's one of those Socket A boards that have a separate 4pin 12v connector).
Pentium 3 dissipates 35W at the most from top of my head, less then half of what a fast clocked Athlon (XP) will eat.

35W? That's good to know. I've been trying to track down that info for a while. I've been running torture tests on one of the 1GHz machines for the past day and watching the psu closely. It seems to be ok. I sure would like to keep these supermicro 500W units in the machines if possible because I trust the build quality over the Rosewill units.

Reply 29 of 33, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Yawnald wrote:

35W? That's good to know. I've been trying to track down that info for a while. I've been running torture tests on one of the 1GHz machines for the past day and watching the psu closely. It seems to be ok. I sure would like to keep these supermicro 500W units in the machines if possible because I trust the build quality over the Rosewill units.

I used to know of a webpage that had these figures, but it doesn't seem to exist anymore. But the same info apparently is now on wikipedia.
I find this info very informative 😀

Edit: Tualatin 1.4Ghz has this info:
Pentium III 1400S Tualatin (130 nm) 1.4 GHz 32.2 W or 31.2 W

So 32.2W it is 😀

Report spammers here!

Reply 30 of 33, by Yawnald

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Excellent! Ok, I'm gonna leave these psus in then. They seem to work very well. I'll put the rosewill units on the shelf for later!

Mr. Tualatin

Reply 31 of 33, by Yawnald

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Wow, yeah, some of those athlons really drink the juice!

Here's a teaser pic... PSU testing now, full setup will be done hopefully friday!

20130101131428resized.jpg

Mr. Tualatin

Reply 32 of 33, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Ah, you're using desktop style cases! I personally prefer to use towers, though that's just a personal preference of mine 😁

Will you be adding your benchmark scores to the 3dbench and SuperPi threads? 😀

Report spammers here!

Reply 33 of 33, by Yawnald

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Tetrium wrote:

Ah, you're using desktop style cases! I personally prefer to use towers, though that's just a personal preference of mine 😁

Will you be adding your benchmark scores to the 3dbench and SuperPi threads? 😀

Yep, desktops for me! Besides liking the look and the memories they bring back, it's the only way I could squeeze 4 retro machines into the space I have for them. 😁

I'll put up some scores for sure once they're all set up! 😁