VOGONS

Reply 60 of 72, by sklawz

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hi

feipoa wrote:

Did you take the ground-up approach, or did you use the Amiga converter code posted by keropi?

I didn't look at the Amiga code since that's clearly going to be for a bus style quadrature encoded mouse.

The PS/2 documentation referred to is this:
http://www.computer-engineering.org/ps2protocol/

and the serial documentation this:
http://www.kryslix.com/nsfaq/Q.12.html

feipoa wrote:

Yes, please include a circuit schematic and source code. Did you write it using a C-compiler for PIC or use assembly from the onset?

Okay. I will create a new thread for this, it will be easier.

It's written in PIC assembly code, assembled using GPASM on Linux.

feipoa wrote:

How was the mouse tracking quality at 1280x1024 in Windows?

See the youtube video?

feipoa wrote:

If you are not using RTS and DTR on the serial port, you may be able to use either of these with a voltage regulator power the device, however the output is limited to 10 mA. Put a multi-meter in line to see what the typical current consumption of the PIC is under mouse operation.

RTS is a requirement for this converter as this is used to reset a generic serial mouse. DTR isn't used here, but with normal mice it is generally used to initiate a session, the mouse responds with 'M'. In my demo example it just sends an 'M' after reset which is fine for WINDOWS, MS-MOUSE and Linux GPM.

feipoa wrote:

You might be able to use RTS and DTR on the serial line to power the PIC, however you will need to set RTS or DTR active by default (to output 10 V). Perhaps this is possible with a simple DOS driver at boot time.

EDIT: According to the PIC16F8X datasheet, the currnet draw is less than 2 mA at 5 V. I think most serial ports shouldn't have a problem with that. I've used serial ports to create 5 V regulated in the past and didn't have any issues.

I am not going to develop a dedicated PSU for this project. I will present it as-is, which is working code and an example schematic. An enterprising soul may complete the project with the modifications you envisage. I am not doing any more on this unless there is a software bug.

Thanks for your reply. I will create a new thread in MARVIN later.

Cya!

Edit:spelling

Reply 61 of 72, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Those are some nice links; I wish I had time to sit down and read them slowly.

The serial-based power supply is not critical. It would be easy enough to create a 5V connector out of the computer's power supply.

I saw the YouTube video, but the resolution was pretty far from 1280x1024. Could you test your converter at 1280x1024 and let us know verbally how well the mouse tracks?

Plan your life wisely, you'll be dead before you know it.

Reply 62 of 72, by sklawz

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hi

The mouse operates well enough from my point of view.

I will see about making a hi-res video tomorrow. It's
not possible to change to a higher resolution using
virtualbox.

I have tested this on a real machine running DOS, WIN98
and WINXP. I can certainly go higher.

There is a new thread about this here:
PS/2 to Serial Mouse protocol converter

Bye

Reply 63 of 72, by fillosaurus

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Well, I have been inspired to buy a new serial mouse several years ago when they could still be found. And I still have another almost identical one, in good working order.
Both are A4 Tech OK-720, one with 2, one with 3 buttons. Last year I aquired 2 Microsoft Cordless Wheel Mouse, serial and PS/2 compatible, for the enormous sum of about $1.5 (both). I kept one and I gave 1 to a friend. So I am covered when it comes to serial mice. Have another 3 dead ones; I dunno why I still keep them. Maybe because one of them is exactly the same model as my first mouse; A horrible uncomfortable Genius EasyMouse which looked just like these ones http://www.ebay.com/itm/wholesale-Lot-2-Geniu … 7-/350681963780 and died from too much X-Wing. Managed to ressurect it some time after and I sold it or gave it away, I can't remember exactly.
Well, leaving random banter and nostalgy aside, I become intrigued after reading this thread and tested the PS2 to serial adapter which came with the Microsoft mouse. It works with it, but does not work with a Logitech M-S28 or an A4 Tech WOP-49 (this was interesting, a USB mouse connected to a USB-PS2 adapter, connected to a PS2-RS232 adapter)

Y2K box: AMD Athlon K75 (second generation slot A)@700, ASUS K7M motherboard, 256 MB SDRAM, ATI Radeon 7500+2xVoodoo2 in SLI, SB Live! 5.1, VIA USB 2.0 PCI card, 40 GB Seagate HDD.
WIP: external midi module based on NEC wavetable (Yamaha clone)

Reply 64 of 72, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Did anyone else try this CYBEX KVM for use as a PS/2-to-Serial converter? I just tested it out and was pretty disappointed with the mouse tracking quality. It is lagged, but similar to the Vetra Systems converter.

Reply 65 of 72, by bestemor

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

That was strange...
What exact model number is it ?

Mine worked fine, no lagging as far as I noticed, but I may have not tested correctly ?

How exactly did you test it ?
OS/program etc etc ?
And what kinda mouse ?

Reply 66 of 72, by bestemor

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Ok, so I tried a proper retest, now in more normal 'surroundings'.
(last time was rather quick, and on a piece of cardboard at the workbench area on top of some boxes...)

And having 3 identical mice connected simultanously(USB/PS2/Serial port), I DO notice there is a difference!

The Serial port connected(via Cybex) one seems to overshoot the target somewhat, even compared to a genuine serial mouse direct-connect, when using the desktop/explorer at 1280x960.

Hmm, so this must be that lagging you mentioned.
Well, not ideal, I agree. 😅
(still, I suppose it could be worse)

PS: and the scroll wheel does not work via the Cybex... even if the box claims "Full support for intellimouse" ! 😜

Reply 68 of 72, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
bestemor wrote:
Ok, so I tried a proper retest, now in more normal 'surroundings'. (last time was rather quick, and on a piece of cardboard at t […]
Show full quote

Ok, so I tried a proper retest, now in more normal 'surroundings'.
(last time was rather quick, and on a piece of cardboard at the workbench area on top of some boxes...)

And having 3 identical mice connected simultanously(USB/PS2/Serial port), I DO notice there is a difference!

The Serial port connected(via Cybex) one seems to overshoot the target somewhat, even compared to a genuine serial mouse direct-connect, when using the desktop/explorer at 1280x960.

Hmm, so this must be that lagging you mentioned.
Well, not ideal, I agree. :sweatdrop:
(still, I suppose it could be worse)

PS: and the scroll wheel does not work via the Cybex... even if the box claims "Full support for intellimouse" ! :pppt:

Yeah, this type of converter is only good for use in a workshop for occasional activity. A real serial mouse is much better.

Btw, I am using a Logitech 3-button trackball MouseMan. I have this same mouse in 3 forms: PS/2, Serial, and dual protocal PS/2-Serial.

Last edited by feipoa on 2013-03-01, 02:44. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 69 of 72, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
kixs wrote:

So this simple adapter won't work or what? I've been thinking on buying it.

Your mouse must support, both, PS/2 and serial protocals to use this adapter. Very few did, and it was usually noted on the bottom of the mouse.

Reply 71 of 72, by NJRoadfan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Revisiting my idea to modify a motherboard to add a PS/2 port. Perhaps one of these PS/2 compatible keyboard controllers plus a small PCB with any required components will do the trick?

http://www.datasheetcatalog.org/datasheets/320/170596_DS.pdf

Reply 72 of 72, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Yes, that keyboard controller is used in SiS-based boards with working PS/2 mouse ports.

In general, I think SiS 486 496/497 boards with an i8042 and a BIOS mod can probably be retrofitted for a PS/2 mouse port. UMC 8881/8886 boards seem to have PS/2 capability built into the chipset (this may be revision dependent). It may also need a BIOS mod, which would probably be easiest on AWARD 4.5x boards. Unfortunately, I don't have the time to get into this type of testing anymore. For the time being, I would like to see how well this PS/2-to-serial converter works. It will be the 4th and final PS/2-to-serial converter I'll test before closing the chapter on this type of adaption.
PS/2 to Serial Mouse protocol converter