VOGONS

First post, by jacco

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello
I have two 3dfx voodoo 2 from creative 8b versions and i use it with a amd athlon computer 1000 mhz/512 mb with windows me.
I have no windows 98 only in english and i prefer win 98 in dutch .
So the only choice is windows me in dutch.
Main videocard is geforce 2 mx from asus.
Everything is correct installed with fast voodoo for win 9x.
But if i look on the settings on the 3dfx section then i see that sli was detected but framebuffer memory was 4mb , texture memory 4 mb total texture memory is 8 mb.
That is not true because my cards are 8 mb memory each.
framebuffer memory and texture memory is not correct.

It must shows 8 mb framebuffer not 4 mb because there are no voodoo 2 cards with 4 mb memory.

I test a game like quake 2 in 1024 / 768 and it works .
So is this a win me problem ?

Reply 1 of 6, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
jacco wrote:
Hello I have two 3dfx voodoo 2 from creative 8b versions and i use it with a amd athlon computer 1000 mhz/512 mb with windows me […]
Show full quote

Hello
I have two 3dfx voodoo 2 from creative 8b versions and i use it with a amd athlon computer 1000 mhz/512 mb with windows me.
But if i look on the settings on the 3dfx section then i see that sli was detected but framebuffer memory was 4mb , texture memory 4 mb total texture memory is 8 mb.

It must shows 8 mb framebuffer not 4 mb because there are no voodoo 2 cards with 4 mb memory.

My guess is that since everything seems to be running ok, theres noting wrong with your hardware.
I seem to recall something about Voodoo 2 SLI detecting only half te memory? But anyway, if it runs fine, then theres probably nothing wrong 😉

Personally I don't think it's something specifically about Windows ME.

I don't have an SLI rig so I can't verify this though.

And about your Windows 98, is it First Edition or the Second Edition? Imo Second Edition is much superior, partly because of the unofficial service packs. But that's a bit offtopic.

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 3 of 6, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
jacco wrote:

I have win 98 se english edition and win 98 first edition in dutch.
But i choose windows me because windows 98 first edition is tool old for athlon pc.
It did not detect the processor correctly.

I think it's normal for an OS to not display the correct processor if the CPU was made after the OS was released.
And afaik the OS not detecting the correct CPU has no issues with performance or stability. Possibly new Windows updates corrected this for old OSes.
I'm not sure if Windows Update still works though (I read on msfn.org that it didn't anymore).
I did once download all Windows updates for Windows ME though, though I don't remember where I put them (probably on my database-computer somewhere).

Personally I don't mind running Windows ME and had few issues with it (and for me it was much more stable then 98FE ever was), but most people seem to prefer 98SE, especially with the unofficial service packs.

If you don't mind an English Windows and don't mind running it, theres even a new SP for 98SE (English only!) on msfn.org.

It sounds to me like you only picked ME because you felt like you had no choice, but if ME runs right for you, then why not?

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 4 of 6, by F2bnp

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Hmm, that is strange indeed. I know that Voodoo 2 cards have incompatibilities with the Athlon though, they tend to get unstable and all. I have never heard of something like this though.
Which drivers are you using?
Falconfly has some Athlon compatible files as well for your Voodoo 2 cards. Check them out!

Reply 5 of 6, by subhuman@xgtx

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
jacco wrote:
Hello I have two 3dfx voodoo 2 from creative 8b versions and i use it with a amd athlon computer 1000 mhz/512 mb with windows me […]
Show full quote

Hello

What you are seeing is actually how it should really be , because Voodoo2's control panel info doesn't sum up the total amount of Framebuffer memory obtained from SLI. it just displays the info of a single card, not the two. That's why it says Frame Buffer Memory: 4 MB

Besides that, texture memory is mirrored on SLI, because workload is splitted between the two cards; so if you have Two 8mb Voodoo2 the total usable texture mem is of 4MB, and with Two 12mb Voodoo2 then it is of 8MB 😉 There's absolutely nothing wrong with your Athlon or WinME 😀

Example:

Voodoo2 8mb SLI:

Scanline Interleave: Detected!!

FBI Revision: x
Frame Buffer Memory: 4 MB
Texture Mapping Unit(s): 2
TMU Revision: x
Total Texture Memory: 4 MB

Voodoo2 12mb SLI:

Scanline Interleave: Detected!!

FBI Revision: x
Frame Buffer Memory: 4 MB
Texture Mapping Unit(s): 2
TMU Revision: x
Total Texture Memory: 8 MB

Hope this clears things up 😁
Subhuman

Reply 6 of 6, by jacco

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
F2bnp wrote:

Hmm, that is strange indeed. I know that Voodoo 2 cards have incompatibilities with the Athlon though, they tend to get unstable and all. I have never heard of something like this though.
Which drivers are you using?
Falconfly has some Athlon compatible files as well for your Voodoo 2 cards. Check them out!

I use voodoo 2 for athlon drivers .