VOGONS

First post, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

So I was just setting up a new XP install on a large, 60 GB+ FAT32 partition. (Yes, I know NTFS has many advantages, but I have yet to lose a drive through catastrophic FAT32 failure, and for my limited purposes file permissions cause more problems than they solve.) My strategy was to boot up with Knoppix, run GParted, and create the formatted partition.

Thing is, although XP setup would have no problem recognizing and installing to this partition, it just wouldn't boot. The BIOS would come up with an "invalid disk" message.

Eventually I wound up digging out an old Win98 install CD, creating a 4 GB partition with fdisk, digging out another ancient Win98 boot floppy (!) to format the partition, installing XP, and then growing the partition with GParted.

I know Windows XP outright refuses to create FAT32 partitions larger than 32 GB, but is there some kind of restriction on the size of a FAT32 partition it can be installed to?

Reply 1 of 1, by Gamecollector

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

No, there is no such restriction AFAIK. If you create/format the large fat32 volume in another program - you may use up to 137 Gb fat32 volumes.
As the example, my WinME/WinXp dualboot PC is using this scheme: 10 Gb primary partition with WinME and WinXp bootloader, all other space (66 Gb) is the logical disk D with WinXp.

Asus P4P800 SE/Pentium4 3.2E/2 Gb DDR400B,
Radeon HD3850 Agp (Sapphire), Catalyst 14.4 (XpProSp3).
Voodoo2 12 MB SLI, Win2k drivers 1.02.00 (XpProSp3).