VOGONS

First post, by northernosprey02

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I have question about Celeron 500 (I actually don't have them).

Overclocking this can give the benefits to performance? I have planning to use them to my old PC via slotkets

Reply 2 of 10, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

noshutdown is right. That Celeron probably won't overclock as much as the early Celerons do.
If only it had an unlocked multiplier 🤣

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 3 of 10, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

You'd be better off moving up to a Coppermine anyway. You get SSE support and from 800mhz up, official 100mhz bus support. Also, if you care about those things, you get better performance per watt with the faster Coppermines.

Reply 4 of 10, by northernosprey02

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
sliderider wrote:

You'd be better off moving up to a Coppermine anyway. You get SSE support and from 800mhz up, official 100mhz bus support. Also, if you care about those things, you get better performance per watt with the faster Coppermines.

So, if I get Celeron 533A which has 66 MHz bus. Can I overclock to 800 MHz with 100 MHz? But I don't want OCing to 133 MHz due 440BX chipset limitation

Oh yeah, which is multiplier unlocked Celeron?

Reply 5 of 10, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
northernosprey02 wrote:
sliderider wrote:

So, if I get Celeron 533A which has 66 MHz bus. Can I overclock to 800 MHz with 100 MHz? But I don't want OCing to 133 MHz due 440BX chipset limitation

I'm not sure. Maybe theres some engineering samples with an unlocked multiplier. Dunno if I have one to test that hypothesis though.
And you might be better of just using a regular Coppermine Pentium 3 instead of overclocking a Celeron 😉
The Pentium 3 has twice the cache of the Celeron and the performance difference is noticeable.
You could even opt to use a Pentium 3 1Ghz part and underclock it to 750Mhz, which still should be much faster then any 800Mhz Celeron.

Report spammers here!

Reply 6 of 10, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
northernosprey02 wrote:
sliderider wrote:

At this point they're so cheap you can just skip over the slower grades entirely and go right for the ones that are 1ghz or 1.1ghz if your motherboard can be set to 100mhz bus. Just be careful not to get a Tualatin based one if your motherboard can't handle them.

Here's a 1.1ghz Coppermine Celeron on ebay right now for less than $5 shipped.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Intel-Celeron-1-10GHz … =item2a27742fae

Reply 7 of 10, by Old Thrashbarg

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

You certainly can overclock the lower speed Celerons... the 533A chips will almost always work at 800, and many of the 600mhz ones will do 900. But unless you really want to overclock one just for shits and giggles, it's just as sliderider said: there's realistically not much point in it these days when you can get 'real' 800mhz+ chips for about the same prices as the slower ones.

Reply 8 of 10, by northernosprey02

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
sliderider wrote:
At this point they're so cheap you can just skip over the slower grades entirely and go right for the ones that are 1ghz or 1.1g […]
Show full quote
northernosprey02 wrote:
sliderider wrote:

At this point they're so cheap you can just skip over the slower grades entirely and go right for the ones that are 1ghz or 1.1ghz if your motherboard can be set to 100mhz bus. Just be careful not to get a Tualatin based one if your motherboard can't handle them.

Here's a 1.1ghz Coppermine Celeron on ebay right now for less than $5 shipped.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Intel-Celeron-1-10GHz … =item2a27742fae

I am doubt with this processor because my ASUS P2B-F only support 8.0x multiplier I think.

Reply 9 of 10, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
northernosprey02 wrote:

I am doubt with this processor because my ASUS P2B-F only support 8.0x multiplier I think.

I don't know if your board will refuse to work with these processors (after all, they are locked), but you could still get a 800Mhz 100Mhz fsb Pentium 3 (8 * 100Mhz) or one of the very common 1000Mhz ones and underclock it for 750Mhz. Should be much faster then almost any Celeron you can put on that board.

And anyway, so far I've read very little about people having trouble getting a 1.4Ghz Celeron to work on their BX Slot 1 boards. Only thing is you'd need an adapter or 2, or one of those pin-modded CPU's + a slocket.

I'd guess processors with a multi higher then 8 will work just fine on your board (because of their locked multi), but that's just an educated guess.

Report spammers here!

Reply 10 of 10, by Old Thrashbarg

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Most PIII boards don't actually have a limit on the multiplier, regardless of what the manual says. I know for sure the P2B doesn't, because I have run >8x multi chips in P2B boards.

It's only on some OEM and server boards where that's ever an issue, and even then it's usually an artificial lockout in the BIOS rather than any sort of technical limitation.

As for Celerons vs PIIIs, there's generally about a 20-25% difference when the bus speeds are the same... a 1ghz Celeron performs about like a 750-800mhz PIII in most cases. So using a PIII won't really be gaining anything over a 1-1.1ghz Celeron, unless you go for one of the (fairly rare) 850-1000mhz 100fsb PIIIs.