VOGONS

First post, by subhuman@xgtx

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hey guys, I know this one might be a dumb question.. but how do I actually install and configure an IPX network under DOS & 98SE between four machines? It's actually quite embarrasing that I'm saying this but I have never configured/used one of these before. As you may guess, the main use of it will be playing those games on a lan which only had network support (of at least more than 2 players) under this protocol (Carma 1, Fatal Racing - among others)

Thanks a lot !

Reply 1 of 4, by elianda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

In DOS load:
LSL.COM
SMC8000.COM <- This is the ODI driver of the network card, here from SMC Elite16 Ultra
IPXODI.COM

This is f.e. in this arcghive on my ftp in subdir dos
ftp://78.46.141.148/driver/SMC8000/SMC8000_Elite16Ultra.rar

This is already sufficient for DOS Multiplayer LAN games.
If I remember correctly you should not load lsl to high RAM.

In Win98SE just install IPX protocol in network / properties. It will be mapped into DOS windows as well.

Retronn.de - Vintage Hardware Gallery, Drivers, Guides, Videos. Now with file search
Youtube Channel
FTP Server - Driver Archive and more
DVI2PCIe alignment and 2D image quality measurement tool

Reply 2 of 4, by subhuman@xgtx

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

ahh, so no need for specific network cards files? I have a CNET pro 200 chipset based in my Athlon 2800 system, and I'll probably have cards with different chipsets for the other rigs

Reply 3 of 4, by elianda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

No, as I was writing, you need the ODI driver for DOS for the network card. It is usually on the driver disk.

Retronn.de - Vintage Hardware Gallery, Drivers, Guides, Videos. Now with file search
Youtube Channel
FTP Server - Driver Archive and more
DVI2PCIe alignment and 2D image quality measurement tool

Reply 4 of 4, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Quick look on the net and for your card it seems you want DM9PCI.com

ftp://ftp.comu.edu.tr/pub/driver/ethernet_kar … SODI/README.TXT

For your other cards and you have the driver disks look for the folder that contains lsl.com and ipxodi.com the NIC driver is usally the other .com (or maybe .exe) file in the same folder.