VOGONS

First post, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

So I'm setting up this Pentium 4 machine presently; the motherboard uses an ATI Radeon 9100 PRO IGP chipset. I'm not really interested in what the onboard graphics can do (I'll probably be putting in my 9600XT), but I am concerned about using this motherboard in Windows 98 without proper drivers.

Curiously. ASUS offers a whole bunch of drivers for Windows ME, but when 98SE is selected, pretty much the only thing to be had is drivers for the onboard audio.
http://www.asus.com/Motherboards/Intel_Socket … 800VM/#download

Will the ME drivers work properly in 98SE? I've never seen a distinction made before. (Of course, it is quite possible the drivers came out during a period when official support was dropped for 98SE but not for ME, such that there was no reason to offer the drivers for 98SE anymore.) Or is there some other way to get the drivers? Or is it just better not bothering with?

Last edited by Jorpho on 2013-01-02, 17:21. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 1 of 4, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I have had times where ME drivers would not install properly on 98. Usally you can extract the drivers and manually point it to the inf file but not always.
I dont know much about chipsets outside of intel, but even for my Asus Intel boards I download the drivers from intel, realtek, and whoever else actually makes the onboard stuff as usally their drivers are a little newer then Asus last avalible driver.
Had a very quict look on ATI's page but couldnt find their chipset drivers for this board at all (But it was a very quick look)

Not sure how true it is but I did find this from http://techreport.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=19549

bought the Deluxe version from Newegg. Aside from Newegg not mentioning that it is not compatible with Windows 98SE, I'd later f […]
Show full quote

bought the Deluxe version from Newegg. Aside from Newegg not mentioning that it is not compatible with Windows 98SE, I'd later find that it is an XP-only board. Ok, fine, I was finally forced to downgrade to XP Pro. On both 98SE and Windows 2000 Pro, I couldn't burn CDs or DVD. I tried upgrading and changing around DirectX, etc.

Single-drive SATA doesn't work well. It's very slow, and ASUS doesn't give you any info as to how to install it.

Now, the second-channel memory slots don't work, so I'm stuck with single-channel memory. I'm trying to get a RMA from ASUS, which is like pulling teeth.

There are far better, more stable boards, which don't give you the hassles ASUS does. So, there is no reason to go with ASUS.

Reply 2 of 4, by BigBodZod

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

A google search seems to indicate this is as being a Mobile Chipset, is this correct or did some mainboard makers also produce a desktop version using this chipset ?

http://www.google.com/search?client=aff-maxth … c.1.v2Xz4_EvhfU

No matter where you go, there you are...

Reply 4 of 4, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Well, for the record, the drivers installed without the slightest hitch. We shall see how stable the system turns out to be in the end.

(Windows 98 SE sure is wicked fast on a 3 GHz P4, that's for sure.)