VOGONS

First post, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Hi all!

I'm working on my next video project. My "Roland MT-32 The Ultimate Tutorial" was well received and I have taken lots of feedback onboard and will try to make this video more packed (not as long and more to the point).

So this video will be about a Retro Gaming Time Machine. In short what I call Time Machine is a hybrid of old and new parts to get the best of both worlds.

I'd like to use this thread to bounce around ideas, get feedback BEFORE the video is done, ask questions and so on...

Things I will be covering

- What's a Time Machine
- Benefits
- Challenges
- It's a compromise (explaining that you can't cover every time period and that the games you want to play dictate what hardware you need to get). I will be using a time-line to show what this machine will be able to cover and what it won't.
- Mainboard choice (I will be going with a BX440 board)
- CPU
- RAM
- GPU (I will be going with a MX440 and Voodoo 2 to cover OpenGL, DirectX and Glide)
- Sound Cards (I will be going with an Audigy LS and Sound Blaster 16 + NEC 385) for Windows performance and DOS compatibility
- USB to PS/2 adapters
- ATX case
- Storage options (looking at CF adapters, IDE to SATA adapters, PCI SATA controllers, SSD, HDDs, Pros/Cons)
- Basic BIOS tweaks
- Memtest to make sure it's all good before installing Windows
- Optical drives (looking at IDE and SATA options, Audio CD playback for DOS games)
- Lots of video footage showing the steps
- Some game footage
- Disabling L1 cache for older / too fast games

I already have some questions:

1. I'm using a P3 500 MHz. It doesn't have a fan, but a rather large cooler. Should be ok, considering that 120mm fan close by?

img0230zk.jpg

2. FAT32 limit (working reliably) is 64GB with Windows 98SE?

3. BIOS HDD limit for a BX440 machine? Anyone know?

4. What's good for showing DOS glide stuff? Anything from GOG.com that would work here?

4. What's good to show for Windows 98SE games? I'd like to show being able to choose between DirectX, OpenGL and Glide with this machine. Can be a demo 😀

5. Windows 98SE the best choice? I'm a bit low on Ram, only got 256 but could go with 384MB. Time period I'd like to cover are games up to 98 / 99 Unreal, Quake 3 that sort of stuff.

6. What games should I DEFINITELY cover. I'm thinking Tomb Raider, Doom, Duke Nukem3D, Sierra and Lucasarts adventures, Descent, Quake2, Unreal?

7. Are there any games from GOG.com that I can just burn on CD (bin/cue) , put in my Time Machine and install it?

My website with reviews, demos, drivers, tutorials and more...
My YouTube channel

Reply 1 of 85, by mr_bigmouth_502

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

To answer some of your questions

1. That looks like a stock heatsink to me. It should be fine unless you plan on OC'ing it, but for extra assurance I'd get something with a fan on it. 😉

2. Theoretically FAT32 tops out at 2TB or something like that, but the Win98 version of FDISK doesn't support drives larger than 63GB give or take. As for Win98 itself, the limit is probably more like 137GB. Go for 63GB or less and you should be good.

3. No idea. Probably 137GB though.

4. Carmageddon is the DOS glide benchmark, IMO, though there are probably more demanding DOS glide games out there. Good luck getting the GoG.com version to work though. Just a thought though, maybe try copying over the installed files from the GoG version, then make a copy of "game.dat" (found in the game directory) and rename it to "game.cue", then burn it (while keeping it in the same directory) so you have a music/dummy install disc. I was examining "game.gog" and "game.dat" a while ago and found out that they were actually just renamed bin/cue files.

5. Unreal Tournament supports all of the 3D APIs you mentioned, and it even has a decent software renderer if you want to test the CPU's raw horsepower. 😁

6. Unreal Gold/Tournament, Quake I/II/III, old Blizzard games, some Build Engine stuff, Warlords III: Darklords Rising (worth it if you can find a copy! 😁), Magic The Gathering: Shandalar... ok this has pretty much devolved into a laundry list of my favorite late '90s PC games. 🤣

7. Like I mentioned above, Carmageddon MIGHT work if you play around with the files a bit. I'm fairly certain that most of the purely hard drive-installable stuff should work without any hitches though.

Reply 2 of 85, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Thanks for the input!

I used the Western Digital Data Life Tools from the "Ultimate CD" and it prepared the drive (I tried a 600GB SATA drive through a SATA<>IDE adapter) for W98SE. 128GB is indeed the limit and the software mentions this. I now also know why there is talk about 137, it's the way drive manufacturers use 1000 as conversion rate, whereas it really should be 1024.

The 64GB SSD behaved "strange". So I'll check this out later and see what the issue us.

I ran into some resource issues and had to swap cards and then ran into an issue with looping sound 🙁 Reinstalling Windows again and hoping it will go away 😀

I will check out the games you suggested once everything is working.

Oh, another question:

The CONFIG.SYS and AUTOEXEC.BAT in the root folder, are these the ones to use for booting into MS-DOS mode? Or are there separate ones...

My YouTube channel

Reply 3 of 85, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I can't tell you much with regards to your questions. I'm a bit surprised you chose a Slot 1 solution instead of Super 7 though! 😜
1:The CPU should be fine. It also depends on how fast or slow the PSU fan moves of course. Is it Katmai (which is most likely) or a Coppermine?
The easiest way to distinguish between a Katmai and a Coppermine for Slot 1 is to see how much cache it has. Katmai has 512kb while Coppermine uses 256kb. Katmai's @ 500Mhz produce about 37W while a Coppermine @ 500Mhz produces only 16W (less then half!). Anyway, even if it's a Katmai, you shouldn't have too much trouble unless your PSU fan moves really little air.
2 and 3: What mr_bigmouth said 😁
The largest harddrive your motherboard can support really depends on what board you exactly use. Sometimes theres a BIOS update available to make it see larger harddrives.
5:256MB should be more then enough for 98SE. It's even more then enough for ME, but in this case I think 98SE is the better choice because of it's more widespread use and it's better 3rd party support in the form of unofficial service packs.
6:Definitely cover Unreal and QuakeII! 😁

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 4 of 85, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Wow I'm finding this build frustrating 😢

The Audigy LS and AudioPCI both have this weird stuttering / distorted sound in RTCW. A Vortex 2 on the other hand and the plain Sound Blaster 16 work fine though. Are there any BIOS settings one needs to be aware off with PCI Sound Cards?

I find Windows 98 quite frustrating to be honest. Is this just how it is?

After removing the Voodoo 2 out of my system, all the games kept looking for it. I thought you could just choose between the Geforce and the Voodoo 2? Or is this not really the case.

I'm doing my third clean install, now with just the Geforce and Audigy. If this also gives me issues I'm going to throw it out the window 😵

Oh, I chose the Slot 1 system because it's easier to source and not as hard to work with. While a SS7 would be better, it's much harder to source and they can be challenging with Windows.

Tetrium wrote:
I can't tell you much with regards to your questions. I'm a bit surprised you chose a Slot 1 solution instead of Super 7 though! […]
Show full quote

I can't tell you much with regards to your questions. I'm a bit surprised you chose a Slot 1 solution instead of Super 7 though! 😜
1:The CPU should be fine. It also depends on how fast or slow the PSU fan moves of course. Is it Katmai (which is most likely) or a Coppermine?
The easiest way to distinguish between a Katmai and a Coppermine for Slot 1 is to see how much cache it has. Katmai has 512kb while Coppermine uses 256kb. Katmai's @ 500Mhz produce about 37W while a Coppermine @ 500Mhz produces only 16W (less then half!). Anyway, even if it's a Katmai, you shouldn't have too much trouble unless your PSU fan moves really little air.
2 and 3: What mr_bigmouth said 😁
The largest harddrive your motherboard can support really depends on what board you exactly use. Sometimes theres a BIOS update available to make it see larger harddrives.
5:256MB should be more then enough for 98SE. It's even more then enough for ME, but in this case I think 98SE is the better choice because of it's more widespread use and it's better 3rd party support in the form of unofficial service packs.
6:Definitely cover Unreal and QuakeII! 😁

Yup it's a P3 with Katmai core. It gets warm to the tough, but nothing serious, so should be ok!

The latest BIOS adds support for drives up to 128MB. So that's quite a lot of storage and so far the SATA<>IDE adapter has worked fine. HDD access it very fast, it's really the CPU that's holding things up now 😀

Cool, will stick with 256MB.

My YouTube channel

Reply 5 of 85, by sgt76

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I'll answer some of your questions, maybe sidelining a bit here and there based on my own experience with 440BX and P3s in general:
1) You should install Powerstrip to select which video card you want to select in game. However, some games allow you to select which card you want to use without this utility, i.e. the NFS series up to NFS: PU I think. Some others I can't remember off the top of my head.

2) The CPU sans fan should be fine, since P3s don't require that much cooling and you've got a version with a beefy heatsink.

3) Windos 98 is a virus and pain in the buttocks in itself, and WILL make you have suicidal tendencies upon prolonged exposure to it's shitty self. But you need it cause this is a retro gaming rig. Win 2000 or XP just doesn't have the same coolness to it, as it's too easy and reliable. 😜

4) 256mb is enough, 128 a bit on the low side. Up to 512mb is OK though not needed.

5) ss7 is a bit weak for later games, you'll have bottlenecking with Unreal, HL, Kingpin etc. Games from 2000 will tank with it. Though it's an interesting platform.

6) If it was mine, I'd cover Kingpin: Life of Crime, NFS series from 2 to 5, HL1, Rayman2, Star Wars Pod Racer, and some Impressions city building games.

Reply 6 of 85, by Putas

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

If it is full featured external controller 48bit LBA driver should work.

sgt76 wrote:

3) Windos 98 is a virus and pain in the buttocks in itself, and WILL make you have suicidal tendencies upon prolonged exposure to it's shitty self.

Just don't connect to internet.

Reply 7 of 85, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Mau1wurf1977 wrote:

After removing the Voodoo 2 out of my system, all the games kept looking for it. I thought you could just choose between the Geforce and the Voodoo 2? Or is this not really the case.

So iiuc, you just remove the V2 without uninstalling it's drivers? If that's the case, then I'd say games would still look for the V2 since it's drivers are still installed. Why not just leave the V2 installed while switching to the GF? Will the GF not work otherwise?

Report spammers here!

Reply 8 of 85, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Tetrium wrote:
Mau1wurf1977 wrote:

So iiuc, you just remove the V2 without uninstalling it's drivers? If that's the case, then I'd say games would still look for the V2 since it's drivers are still installed. Why not just leave the V2 installed while switching to the GF? Will the GF not work otherwise?

I didn't seen an uninstall option.

I have these reference drivers, you unzip them and through device manager, point to the drivers.

Unless I'm supposed to uninstall it through device manager?

Just about to test a fresh install of just the Geforce 440 + Audigy...

My YouTube channel

Reply 9 of 85, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I have enough, at least for today 😒

Put the Voodoo 2 in, installed the drivers, reboot and it worked for a while. Tried the Wing Commander Prophecy demo, got an error then the system crapped out. Forced it off and restarted and was greeted with a message that the display device doesn't have enough available resources...

I don't think it's supposed to be this hard, so maybe the mainboard is dodgy. I did a memtest, so the RAM appears to be fine. But you just never know with these old parts...

I'm not sure I want to do a tutorial if this is so hard. Might just regroup tomorrow and do a video on D-Fend reloaded, MUNT, Bassmidi. You know stuff that actually works 😀

PS: Here is the Sound stutter issue in RTCW:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kb2LSJ9bUxo&feature=youtu.be

Lowering the details seems to fix it, but not really, as the issue returns when quitting.

My YouTube channel

Reply 10 of 85, by subhuman@xgtx

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

No, I have a 98se partition of 184 gigs without having to patch anything. Get hb 9.9 and use the integrated bartpe based XP and format your drive with GUIformat.exe 😀 it will bypass your motherboard's limit.

btw: to the one who said your motherboard has to support it, me and a friend have a Pentium mmx 166 @266 rig which has a limitation of 8192 mb per drive but currently has two 40 gb drives working at their full capacity perfectly: One of them is for the OS + installing games and the other is for storing images of my cd games 😁

Try my trick mentioned above, (almost always works) or directly format your hdd from another pc 🤣

Reply 11 of 85, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

As I said earlier, HDD is not the problem, works fine.

Anyway, I'm not trying the same parts in another board: http://www.msi.com/product/mb/MS-6368.html#/?div=BIOS

Will see if I get the same problems or not.

My YouTube channel

Reply 13 of 85, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Well I've thrown in the towl 😒 😢 😵

That other board was just as painful. Maybe I have the wrong drivers (latest), some weird hardware conflict or just bad luck. But this was such a frustrating experience.

I'm back with SS7 machines and pure DOS. Everything just works 😀

But some findings I'd like to share:

Both, my SS7 and BX440 BIOS support drives up to 128GB. W95 and W98 lets you create a 64GB partition, W98SE a 128GB partition. I've used a 640GB WD Sata drive for the tests.

The SATA<>IDE bridge works wonderful. Shame one bridge only drives a single drive, I might investigate if there are other options.

My YouTube channel

Reply 14 of 85, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
subhuman@xgtx wrote:

No, I have a 98se partition of 184 gigs without having to patch anything. Get hb 9.9 and use the integrated bartpe based XP and format your drive with GUIformat.exe 😀 it will bypass your motherboard's limit.

btw: to the one who said your motherboard has to support it, me and a friend have a Pentium mmx 166 @266 rig which has a limitation of 8192 mb per drive but currently has two 40 gb drives working at their full capacity perfectly: One of them is for the OS + installing games and the other is for storing images of my cd games 😁

Try my trick mentioned above, (almost always works) or directly format your hdd from another pc 🤣

Does this mean one could bypass the BIOS harddrive limitation of a 486 board this way? That would be awesome!

Report spammers here!

Reply 15 of 85, by Svenne

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
subhuman@xgtx wrote:

You might be able to "see" all of the 184 gigabytes, but you won't be able to access anything beyond 128 GB. For that you need to install the 48-bit LBA patch.

Intel C2D 2.8 GHz @ 3.0 GHz | ASUS P5KPL | ASUS GTS250 1 GB | 4GB DDR2-800 | 500 GB SATA | Win 7 Pro/Ubuntu 9.10

Reply 16 of 85, by subhuman@xgtx

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Tetrium wrote:
subhuman@xgtx wrote:

Does this mean one could bypass the BIOS harddrive limitation of a 486 board this way? That would be awesome!

Perhaps 😀 In that case you should format it from another pc that can load Hiren's boot Mini XP or has any other os with LBA48(XP sp2/sp3, veeeesta, 7)by running this guiformat.exe tool I mentioned(to format FAT32 partitions bigger than 32 gb)

Reply 17 of 85, by subhuman@xgtx

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Svenne wrote:
subhuman@xgtx wrote:

You might be able to "see" all of the 184 gigabytes, but you won't be able to access anything beyond 128 GB. For that you need to install the 48-bit LBA patch.

It can be... I will try to fill my partition with some random crap and see If i can access files stored after the so called 128gb limit

Reply 18 of 85, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
subhuman@xgtx wrote:
Tetrium wrote:
subhuman@xgtx wrote:

Perhaps 😀 In that case you should format it from another pc that can load Hiren's boot Mini XP or has any other os with LBA48(XP sp2/sp3, veeeesta, 7)by running this guiformat.exe tool I mentioned(to format FAT32 partitions bigger than 32 gb)

I usually format harddrives (that I intend to use with 9x) in an XP rig anyway as I can do a quick format 🤣. But I have to use guiformat to achieve this?

And sorry for derailing your thread, Maulwurf 😊

@Maulwurf: Personally I don't understand why you are having the issues that you are having. Theres a good chance some BIOS settings will aid in reducing those pops and other sound issues, but I don't know the necessary tweaks from top of my head.
I can't recall ever having these issues myself.

As for uninstalling the Voodoo 2 drivers, isn't there an uninstall option located somewhere?

Report spammers here!

Reply 19 of 85, by elianda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I can not watch your video from work, but

What is your PCI-Slot/Card to IRQ mapping list? (including onboard devices)
What is your latency setting? (cycles)
Did you run memtest to make sure it works reliably?

I would attach a fan to a Katmai.
FAT32 should work upto 2.2 TB, but I would limit partition size to 128 GB due to LBA28.

Tetriums theory is only true for Glide.
If a card is unplugged Win98SE keeps the drivers prepared and will load the same settings+driver when the card is plugged back. It is rather comfortable as long as the drivers don't interfere.

Win98SE has to be restarted often, I strongly recommend to use the manual short reboot whenever possible and TweakUI for Auto Network Login.

Retronn.de - Vintage Hardware Gallery, Drivers, Guides, Videos. Now with file search
Youtube Channel
FTP Server - Driver Archive and more
DVI2PCIe alignment and 2D image quality measurement tool