Reply 40 of 85, by subhuman@xgtx

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
elfuego wrote:
Putas wrote:
sgt76 wrote:

3) Windos 98 is a virus and pain in the buttocks in itself, and WILL make you have suicidal tendencies upon prolonged exposure to it's shitty self.

Just don't connect to internet.

Uhm... why? Viruses? Instability? I have a feeling that viruses for Win98 are already extinct 😜

I'm always playing UT'99 online from a fixed IP, as well as diablo 2 on battle.net; I never had any real issue. Nor that I would exactly care if the retro system gets hacked by an off chance. I have a few snapshots in linux that get the system up and running in a minute or two 😜

Yes, nowadays most viruses must probably only run under NT kernels because of introduced core functions that weren't present on the old 9x kernel needed to exploit certain vulnerabilities. At least that is what I have always thought of this

Reply 41 of 85, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I reckon there still might be things out there designed to attack Internet Explorer 6, and a bugged-up IE6 can still ruin your system. Of course, in that case the solution is to never run IE6, or alternatively use LitePC to excise it from your system. (Do people still bother with that?)

Reply 43 of 85, by Filosofia

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Colin McRae also lets you choose the card you want to use from inside the game.
Katmai are just Pentium II pushed to 500MHz, so yes it wouldn't hurt to put a fan on the cooler, heck you can use 2 fans on that humongous cooler! Wich would look cool 😎
No need to use more than 256MB, but that is already settled.

Don't forget to install any ISA card first (and also one at a time) and only then PCI and AGP ones. Reboot after every single driver instalation.

Good luck. 😉

Reply 44 of 85, by sebaz_ri

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Mau1wurf1977 wrote:

Is it possible for anyone here to test 3DMark2000 on their Windows 98SE / Nvidia setups?

I tested in 3Dmark2000 my GeForce 4 MX440-SE in Windows 2000 with my Soyo 440BX mobo and there were no lockups at all in 1024x768 res

azjfwj.jpg

I would recommend you to update to the latest bios available for your mobo, and if that doesn't solve the issue,try with another mobo

2611708.png

Reply 45 of 85, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
sebaz_ri wrote:

I would recommend you to update to the latest bios available for your mobo, and if that doesn't solve the issue,try with another mobo

Thank you so much for taking the time and testing this 😀

I have indeed tested another mainboard and the benchmark ran fine. There is a part where the sound "falls apart" a little, but no crashes.

So I conclude that there is some compatibility issue with my BX440 board and Nvidia cards. The Radeon 7000 for example works flawless.

Just shows how picky these old parts can be 😀

Oh and the BIOS was the latest version. Necessary for supporting larger drives.

My website with reviews, demos, drivers, tutorials and more...
My YouTube channel

Reply 46 of 85, by sebaz_ri

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Mau1wurf1977 wrote:
Thank you so much for taking the time and testing this :) […]
Show full quote
sebaz_ri wrote:

Thank you so much for taking the time and testing this 😀

I have indeed tested another mainboard and the benchmark ran fine. There is a part where the sound "falls apart" a little, but no crashes.

So I conclude that there is some compatibility issue with my BX440 board and Nvidia cards. The Radeon 7000 for example works flawless.

Just shows how picky these old parts can be 😀

Oh and the BIOS was the latest version. Necessary for supporting larger drives.

The other mobo you tested was also with 440BX chipset?

Yes, you are right about issues with 440BX and Geforce cards, i once had a Geforce 2 MX 200 and it worked flawlessly with no drivers, but once i installed the nvidia driver, windows refused to boot, while a geforce 4 ti4200 worked without issues in the same mobo(even though is newer)

Also, the same Geforce 2 MX 200 worked flawlessly on a VIA Apollo 133 mobo

2611708.png

Reply 47 of 85, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
sebaz_ri wrote:

Yes, you are right about issues with 440BX and Geforce cards, i once had a Geforce 2 MX 200 and it worked flawlessly with no drivers, but once i installed the nvidia driver, windows refused to boot, while a geforce 4 ti4200 worked without issues in the same mobo(even though is newer)

Unfortunately I only have one BX440 chipset board 🙁

The other board was based on an Intel 815? or something like that.

My YouTube channel

Reply 48 of 85, by sebaz_ri

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Mau1wurf1977 wrote:
sebaz_ri wrote:

Unfortunately I only have one BX440 chipset board 🙁

The other board was based on an Intel 815? or something like that.

AFAIK, it's 440BX, not BX440 🤣

Also, what is the brand and model of your 440BX mobo? The one that i tested was a Soyo SY-6BA+ IV

2611708.png

Reply 49 of 85, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

🤣 No worries.

Board is a Gigabyte GA-6BXC.

My YouTube channel

Reply 51 of 85, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Yawnald wrote:

The latest nvidia drivers are BAD BAD BAD. Running the latest dx9.0C is fine, but try running nvidia 28.32s.

I did but it didn't make a difference 🙁

There seems to be some major incompatibility with the 440BX chipset and Nvidia cards. I found heaps of references on the Internet, but no real solution apart from using other cards / mainboards.

My YouTube channel

Reply 52 of 85, by tincup

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

hmm... that may explain why I was so unenthusiastic about nVidia in the early days. All I remember were lots of bugs and problems and didn't get back on board the nV train until the 7800 series came out. A chipset/mobo issue then...

Reply 53 of 85, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
tincup wrote:

hmm... that may explain why I was so unenthusiastic about nVidia in the early days. All I remember were lots of bugs and problems and didn't get back on board the nV train until the 7800 series came out. A chipset/mobo issue then...

Yes the Radeon 7000 had no issues. I also found the Vertex 2 card sound better (less stutters) compared to the Audigy LS. But then the Audigy LS is one of this gimped cards (never buy any LS or LE editions 😀

I'll do some more testing once some of the other gizmos arrive.

My YouTube channel

Reply 54 of 85, by tincup

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Mau1wurf1977 wrote:

.. Yes the Radeon 7000 had no issues.....

I rode a Radeon 9700pro 2001-2005 until trying out and liking the nV 7800GTs. But always liked the Radeon line and went back to them after the 2x 7800GT SLI ran it's course.

Reply 55 of 85, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
tincup wrote:
Mau1wurf1977 wrote:

.. Yes the Radeon 7000 had no issues.....

I rode a Radeon 9700pro 2001-2005 until trying out and liking the nV 7800GTs. But always liked the Radeon line and went back to them after the 2x 7800GT SLI ran it's course.

I do have a 9700pro but rather not put it into this machine. Or maybe I should?

Hmmm

What something in-between the 7000 and 9700? 8000 series?

PS: That reminds me. When I had my Pentium 2 300 with Voodoo 2 as a kid, the main AGP card was an ATI card. Something @work or @play can't remember. It wasn't anything to do with 3D, just a basic AGP card.

My YouTube channel

Reply 56 of 85, by d1stortion

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
elfuego wrote:

I'm always playing UT'99 online from a fixed IP

On that note, damn those anticheat programmers forcing Win2k... 90% of all servers where people play are not joinable with a Win98 machine

Reply 57 of 85, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Mau1wurf1977 wrote:

PS: That reminds me. When I had my Pentium 2 300 with Voodoo 2 as a kid, the main AGP card was an ATI card. Something @work or @play can't remember. It wasn't anything to do with 3D, just a basic AGP card.

If it was AGP, it probably had some variety of 3D capabilities, though they probably would have been pathetic in comparison to the Voodoo2 .

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/3d-accele … views,42-3.html suggests the XPERT@WORK/PLAY was a Rage Pro .

(Odd how this "Final Reality" doesn't seem to have come up here much.)

Reply 58 of 85, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Jorpho wrote:

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/3d-accele … views,42-3.html suggests the XPERT@WORK/PLAY was a Rage Pro .

Yea that's it 😁

My YouTube channel

Reply 59 of 85, by mr_bigmouth_502

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
d1stortion wrote:
elfuego wrote:

I'm always playing UT'99 online from a fixed IP

On that note, damn those anticheat programmers forcing Win2k... 90% of all servers where people play are not joinable with a Win98 machine

What's so bad about using Win2k though? Its hardware requirements are only slightly higher than 98's, and it's pretty much a perfect fit on most P3 systems, I find.