VOGONS

First post, by Great Hierophant

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Early sound cards, including the Adlib, Game Blaster and Sound Blasters (first generation 16s) had an onboard amplifier to drive headphones or passive speakers. They did not offer a set line level output, to get something close to line level, you had to turn a dial or wheel on the back of the card.

The first generation of Sound Blaster 16s allowed you to disable the onboard amplifier, the result being a line out signal. The second generation and virtually every single Sound Blaster ISA card thereafter had one jack for the speaker out and one for the line out. You used the speaker out for headphones and passive speakers, and the line out for powered speakers, mixer or amplifier. The Gravis Ultrasound cards also follow this line, except for the Ultrasound ACE. Its "line out" is really an amplified out with the volume controlled by software.

The Game Blaster has RCA jacks and a stereo mini-jack. While the manual tells you to use the RCA jacks with an amplifier and the mini-jack with headphones or speakers, but types of connectors give an amplified out signal. I believe this is also true for Roland's ISA cards with audio out and IBM's music feature, all of which have a pair of RCA jacks and a mini-jack, but no volume wheel.

The Sound Blaster AWE64 Gold does not have an onboard amplifier, so its RCA jacks are line out level.

As for other cards, many of them only have one output, presumably line level. I do not know if they have an amplifier that is controlled by software or have no amplifier.

So, was there a adhered to standard for line level output for cards that truly supported it back in the day?

For sound quality, it is generally better to avoid the low-quality amplifiers used on most cards and use your own amplifier.

http://nerdlypleasures.blogspot.com/ - Nerdly Pleasures - My Retro Gaming, Computing & Tech Blog

Reply 1 of 2, by Malik

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Yes, the "Line Out" has always been better in sound quality compared to the "Speaker Out" option. The latter is often noisy*, even with toned down volume, and sometimes, the "instruments" sound over-amplified with sounds that seem to come out of torn speaker cone.

But I don't think there were any standards of Line Out that the industry of PC sound cards adhered to then. Not sure though.

*One option to reduce the noise coming out from the Speaker Out sound is to let it pass through a dedicated audio receiver/amp with a low volume output, and let the receiver handle it. (I have a Sound Blaster 1.5 connected to my receiver (Marantz SR5200) - noise is almost eliminated and the audio quality is comparable to the Line Out.).

5476332566_7480a12517_t.jpgSB Dos Drivers

Reply 2 of 2, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Took me a while to find the actual question in that post 😀

I don't know, but having recorded from many Sound Cards, I don't think there was a standard for line level output as they are all over the place between various Sound Cards.

Most cards also have a mixer chip, making it necessary to mute certain part (line-in, speaker, AUX, CD) for the best results.

The old 8 bit cards can potentially sound fantastic, the main problem is cross-talk / interference from the computer and being able to the hear the "computer thinking" sounds. This varies from machine to machine and in my SS7 machine I was able to do wonderful recordings (Some are on my YT channel) on a Sound Blaster 1.5.

So for Sound Quality it's more about picking Sound Cards rather than worrying about speaker out or line-out. My ESS Audio Drive for example is amplified, but a really quiet card. Same goes for the Yamaha based Audician. My Sound Blaster 16 card and AWE64 value are quite noise, regardless of type of output.

The Roland modules also have various levels of output level. The CM-500 outputs a very strong signal compared to other units for example.

My website with reviews, demos, drivers, tutorials and more...
My YouTube channel