VOGONS

First post, by Great Hierophant

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I have a Sound Blaster Pro 1.0 that I believe needs to have its electrolytic capacitors replaced. It is extremely noisy, more noisy that recordings from earlier cards, and it has something of a buzz in one channel. I know that when electrolyte dries up, there are noticeable effects in the output.

Problem is that the Pro 1.0 has 33 electrolytic caps! None of them are bulging or leaking, so do I have to replace all of them? The board is too precious to just throw away and hope for a better one to come along.

http://nerdlypleasures.blogspot.com/ - Nerdly Pleasures - My Retro Gaming, Computing & Tech Blog

Reply 2 of 7, by DonutKing

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I had this dilemma with my LAPC-I.
It had something like 25 caps.

I ended up replacing all of them - took a few hours but the results were worth it.

If you are squeamish, don't prod the beach rubble.

Reply 4 of 7, by Jepael

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I definitely do not recommend using an ESR meter while the caps are still on board. The ESR meter will drive a test signal (DC bias + AC) to the cap, so who knows how unpowered chips like it (most likely it will survive).

Any other things that are connected will mess up the readings (for instance there must be several capacitors between power rails, not just one, and other things too that draw current).

So you will have to remove a cap first before measuring to get any sensible results.

I would not blindly change every electrolytic cap on board, I'd try to figure out first why there is more noise on the other channel, like bad solder somewhere, and perhaps then why it is noisier than other cards.

Most likely the current capacitors are of same general purpose type, used all over on both power and signal paths, so feel free to do the same.

Reply 5 of 7, by Jolaes76

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Do not expect too much from recapping. You might bring the noise level in balance on both channels but that is about it.
I had one of my SB Pro I's refurbished and it is hardly quieter than the other one.
I had much better results with combining these:

- changing the motherboard
- changing the PSU to an FSP ATX
- home-made EM Shielding aka "ghetto fix" Faraday cage for the card
- running stuff from virtual hard drive in DOS (zero HDD interference)
- rerouting the SB Pro's line out to the GUS line in with a cheap jack-to-jack cable with a volume dial. This seems to cancel out ~60% of static and hiss in itself...

"Ita in vita ut in lusu alae pessima iactura arte corrigenda est."

Reply 6 of 7, by Pilotgeek

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Not a sound card per se, but I had an old Sega Gamegear with leaky caps that had really low sound output and hissing. Replacing the capacitors made a huge difference. If you can find the capacitors cheap on ebay or some supplier, it's definitely worth it, otherwise you can often find a donor PCB for caps from a broken VCR or something.

Reply 7 of 7, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

^ this is a common gamegear fault , it affects either sound or screen or both and it is indeed caused by the cheap caps used in it...

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website