VOGONS

HP Vectra XU 90C

Topic actions

Reply 20 of 34, by GL1zdA

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Very nice! A dual Pentium with 430NX is a rare sight - most had the newer 430HX. Does anyone now what this NEC chip is for (SMARTOEN or something)?

getquake.gif | InfoWorld/PC Magazine Indices

Reply 21 of 34, by Stojke

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

It actually says SmartGen.
Also, these are MMX Pentiums it seems. Im having some System problems, some one installed windows 98 on this.

Note | LLSID | "Big boobs are important!"

Reply 22 of 34, by shamino

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

The picture shows an SY022 - I have one of those and I'm sure it's a socket-7 Pentium 133 (non-mmx). I don't know anything about socket 5 so I'm not sure how it's plugged into that socket. I may just be confused all the way around I guess. 😀

Reply 23 of 34, by Old Thrashbarg

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I don't know anything about socket 5 so I'm not sure how it's plugged into that socket.

First of all, Socket 7 came along with the Pentium MMX. The older non-MMX chips are Socket 5, and those definitely are the older non-MMX chips.

But that doesn't really matter so much... in practical terms there's not much difference between sockets 5 and 7. They are electrically similar except for the dual voltage support on S7. They are also physically the same except for an additional pin on socket 7, which only serves as a mechanical guide pin. And that extra pin isn't actually used on any of the Pentium chips anyhow, not even the Socket 7 ones... the Pentium and Pentium MMX chips both only use 296 of the 320/321 pins.

You can use a S5 chip in an S7 board, and in many cases S7 chips will work in a S5 board (provided the voltage issue is handled, and the older board's BIOS doesn't freak out with the unrecognized chip).

Reply 24 of 34, by shamino

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Old Thrashbarg wrote:

First of all, Socket 7 came along with the Pentium MMX. The older non-MMX chips are Socket 5, and those definitely are the older non-MMX chips.

Thanks for the explanation.
That's a strange revelation for me - I've gone all this time thinking the P54Cs were socket 7. I had no idea that was really just for the MMX chips.
I need to take a closer look at the sockets on some of my old boards - at least 1 I'm sure doesn't "really" support MMX, I guess it must say Socket 5 and I never noticed.

Reply 26 of 34, by Old Thrashbarg

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

If you want to keep the dual processors, the Overdrive chips are probably out, because I don't think they support SMP. So that just leaves the adapter boards with their own onboard VRM (like the Powerleap PL-PROMMX, etc.)... but you're going to have trouble finding some that will physically fit due to the placement of the CPU sockets. You could probably get one in there, but two of them side by side like that is going to be a tight fit at best.

Reply 27 of 34, by hwh

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Mmm, nice CD-ROM. I have the same model in an external enclosure (the drive's SCSI, the enclosure parallel), at 8x.

Those multiprocessor boards were not cheap either. AFAIK started around $250 and went up from there.

All in all, what a weird system!

Reply 28 of 34, by Stojke

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Oh i see, i saw those voltage converters, i will have to do some research.
yeah the CD Rom is nice, but i replaced it with a much newer TEAC model, also scsi 😀

Note | LLSID | "Big boobs are important!"

Reply 29 of 34, by northernosprey02

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Stojke wrote:

Oh i see, i saw those voltage converters, i will have to do some research.
yeah the CD Rom is nice, but i replaced it with a much newer TEAC model, also scsi 😀

And give that CD-ROM to me 😀

Last edited by northernosprey02 on 2013-02-04, 23:36. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 31 of 34, by Anonymous Coward

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

First of all, Socket 7 came along with the Pentium MMX.

I don't think this is right. The MMX chips came out in October 1996. Socket7 would have come out with the P133 (and 430FX chipset) on or before June 1995. While split rail voltage was part of the specification, it was rarely implemented in 1995 since there were no split rail CPUs at that time to take advantage of it. (not all socket7 motherboards can take MMX chips). The only notable differences of socket7 at the time was that it supported higher current CPUs, and had an extra pin to prevent said CPUs from being plugged into older boards. The transition from socket5 to socket7 was pretty seamless...I don't think anyone even really noticed.

Socket 7 has been defined as the upgrade socket for the Pentium processor 133, 150, 166 and 200 MHz in addition to the Penti […]
Show full quote

Socket 7 has been defined as the upgrade socket for
the Pentium processor 133, 150, 166 and 200 MHz in
addition to the Pentium processor 75, 90, 100, and
120 MHz. The flexibility of the Socket 7 definition
makes it backward compatible with Socket 5 and
should be used for all new Pentium processor-based
system designs. The Socket 7 support requires
minor changes from Socket 5 designs – an additional
key pin, 3.3V clocks, additional supply current, etc.
Contact Intel for further information regarding the
Socket 7 specifications.

"Will the highways on the internets become more few?" -Gee Dubya
V'Ger XT|Upgraded AT|Ultimate 386|Super VL/EISA 486|SMP VL/EISA Pentium

Reply 32 of 34, by northernosprey02

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Anonymous Coward wrote:

First of all, Socket 7 came along with the Pentium MMX.

I don't think this is right. The MMX chips came out in October 1996. Socket7 would have come out with the P133 (and 430FX chipset) on or before June 1995. While split rail voltage was part of the specification, it was rarely implemented in 1995 since there were no split rail CPUs at that time to take advantage of it. (not all socket7 motherboards can take MMX chips). The only notable differences of socket7 at the time was that it supported higher current CPUs, and had an extra pin to prevent said CPUs from being plugged into older boards. The transition from socket5 to socket7 was pretty seamless...I don't think anyone even really noticed.

Socket 7 has been defined as the upgrade socket for the Pentium processor 133, 150, 166 and 200 MHz in addition to the Penti […]
Show full quote

Socket 7 has been defined as the upgrade socket for
the Pentium processor 133, 150, 166 and 200 MHz in
addition to the Pentium processor 75, 90, 100, and
120 MHz. The flexibility of the Socket 7 definition
makes it backward compatible with Socket 5 and
should be used for all new Pentium processor-based
system designs. The Socket 7 support requires
minor changes from Socket 5 designs – an additional
key pin, 3.3V clocks, additional supply current, etc.
Contact Intel for further information regarding the
Socket 7 specifications.

Is not Pentium MMX released on January 8 1997?

Reply 33 of 34, by Anonymous Coward

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Maybe announced in late 96, available early 1997.

"Will the highways on the internets become more few?" -Gee Dubya
V'Ger XT|Upgraded AT|Ultimate 386|Super VL/EISA 486|SMP VL/EISA Pentium

Reply 34 of 34, by OlaHime

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Stojke wrote:

Its a dual Pentium rig, only this one has 2x 133MHz pentiums, not the original 90MHz ones.

Could you please tell me what were/are the DIP switch settings for this?
I've found a XU manual, and also two different general Vectra technical manuals, and I can't get even one 133MHZ CPU to work. Now, if I set it up as 100MHz, it'll show me the error message [ unlike setting it up for 133], but i want to use it .-.