VOGONS

HP Vectra XU 90C

Topic actions

First post, by Stojke

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Hey guys ive just bought an Hewlett Packard Vectra XU 5 PC.
Its a dual Pentium rig, only this one has 2x 133MHz pentiums, not the original 90MHz ones.
It has an Matrox card with 4 MB (the best one as the manual says) and an AWE64 value i think.
It also has an functional CD and a Floppy.

Computer
Rear
Inside

What can you tell me about this PC and similar types? I mean, its a dual Socket 7, thats pretty rare right?
Were they popular and how costly, also how expensive are these now days?

Also i am planning on using it with my sound cards 😀
I will insert Gravis Ultrasouind MAX and SB16. I am also planning on obtaining either an NEC 60XG daughter board to use with Terratec BASE 1 or an Yamaha 60XG ISA card, as well as an Roland SC 55.
Can this computer support 2x Pentium 233 /w MMX?

Last edited by Stojke on 2013-01-30, 08:11. Edited 2 times in total.

Reply 1 of 34, by F2bnp

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Wow. Dual Pentium 1, integrated LAN, SCSI and Caddy!
Awesome!
I think a safe bet is the Pentium 200. The MMX ones used split voltage, which I doubt this motherboard accepts. Depends on the chipset.
Which Matrox card is this? Milennium 1? Didn't know it also came with 4mb!

Reply 3 of 34, by Stojke

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Ive just read about it and i think you are right.
This is what does it say in the manual:

"The HP Vectra XU PC is an ISA/PCI-based PC and features the Pentium&TM;
microprocessor and the 82430 chip set."

Also i never knew such a graphics card existed, thanks Iulinav 😀

Note | LLSID | "Big boobs are important!"

Reply 4 of 34, by F2bnp

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

So the chipset is a 430 VX/FX/HX whatever. That means you should be able to install MMX on that 😁. Try finding dip switches or jumpers for split voltage on the motherboard before you try it though!

Reply 7 of 34, by Stojke

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

From the manual:

"The HP Vectra XU 5/90C and XU 5/100C systems use either a Matrox MGA PCI/2+ or a
Matrox Impression Plus Video board."

Reply 8 of 34, by elianda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Yes it is an Impression Plus. It has some basic 3D acceleration for software that supports it.
Here is a screen of the mga info tool from my Impression Lite:
mga_impression.png

This card seems not useful for plain DOS action, it is utterly slow there, much slower than a 8 bit ISA card. But if you could test yours, feedback is welcome.

Retronn.de - Vintage Hardware Gallery, Drivers, Guides, Videos. Now with file search
Youtube Channel
FTP Server - Driver Archive and more
DVI2PCIe alignment and 2D image quality measurement tool

Reply 9 of 34, by Old Thrashbarg

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

So the chipset is a 430 VX/FX/HX whatever. That means you should be able to install MMX on that.

OP's machine wouldn't be a VX or FX, since those didn't support dual processors, and the HX is a little newer than what would typically be found in a Pentium 90 machine. I'm betting it has the old 430NX 'Neptune' chipset.

That doesn't necessarily mean it won't run MMX processors, but it's ancient enough that it certainly isn't going to support the split voltages, so you'd either need a couple of the MMX Overdrive chips, or a couple of the voltage converter thingies that plug in between the CPU and socket.

Reply 10 of 34, by Stojke

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I am going to get this PC from the seller next week, he is in an other city. I will be glad to run the tests, just tell me what i need to do.
Can any one tell me about the other things i asked?
"What can you tell me about this PC and similar types? I mean, its a dual Socket 7, thats pretty rare right?
Were they popular and how costly, also how expensive are these now days?"

Reply 11 of 34, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Old Thrashbarg wrote:

So the chipset is a 430 VX/FX/HX whatever. That means you should be able to install MMX on that.

OP's machine wouldn't be a VX or FX, since those didn't support dual processors, and the HX is a little newer than what would typically be found in a Pentium 90 machine. I'm betting it has the old 430NX 'Neptune' chipset.

That doesn't necessarily mean it won't run MMX processors, but it's ancient enough that it certainly isn't going to support the split voltages, so you'd either need a couple of the MMX Overdrive chips, or a couple of the voltage converter thingies that plug in between the CPU and socket.

Pentium MMX can usually be run on single voltage without burning up. The overvolting isn't too severe.

Reply 12 of 34, by elianda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I would rate Dual Pentium on Neptune chipset is a bit rare, on HX there were already several boards available for acceptable prices. (like GA-586DX, Tyan boards etc.)
Really rare are Dual 486 systems or earlier.

Before changing anything on this machine, I would run it like it is currently setup and get to know the hardware and quirks. Usually the previous user had some intentions or application for what the system was setup. If there is Windows NT already installed this saves time, see if you can save drivers etc.

I would not install Dual P233MMX until I am sure that the voltage regulators can handle it. If it is an earlier board chances are high that it will burn the on board linear voltage regulator.

Retronn.de - Vintage Hardware Gallery, Drivers, Guides, Videos. Now with file search
Youtube Channel

Reply 13 of 34, by F2bnp

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Old Thrashbarg wrote:

Shoot, you're right. I didn't think of the dual processor support. Well, that kinda sucks 🙁

Reply 14 of 34, by Stojke

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
elianda wrote:
I would rate Dual Pentium on Neptune chipset is a bit rare, on HX there were already several boards available for acceptable pri […]
Show full quote

I would rate Dual Pentium on Neptune chipset is a bit rare, on HX there were already several boards available for acceptable prices. (like GA-586DX, Tyan boards etc.)
Really rare are Dual 486 systems or earlier.

Before changing anything on this machine, I would run it like it is currently setup and get to know the hardware and quirks. Usually the previous user had some intentions or application for what the system was setup. If there is Windows NT already installed this saves time, see if you can save drivers etc.

I would not install Dual P233MMX until I am sure that the voltage regulators can handle it. If it is an earlier board chances are high that it will burn the on board linear voltage regulator.

I found the Drivers and BIOS update on HP website:
http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupp … 135&swEnvOID=14
http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupp … 135&swEnvOID=54

From what i know it has an Windows 98SE on it right now and 128MB of RAM. I still need to inspect it further. 😀

Reply 15 of 34, by GXL750

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

DOS performance on ore-Millenium cards is abysmal so you would be better with pretty much anything else if you want to play games. Windows performance, however is decent and in Matrox tradition, the card is bound to have a good DAC and thus, good analog output quality.

The machine reminds me of childhood when my dad would take me to work and every cubicle had a corporate issue Dell or HP with similar styling.

The NEC caddy cd drive screams high end. How many other drives gave you an LCD status readout and futuristic styling?

Reply 16 of 34, by elianda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

If it is really a Dual CPU system DOS isn't an option anyway to utilize both CPUs. I would recommend NT4.
For a dual P133 games would be Starcraft, Diablo and maybe Baldurs Gate (2) or Silver.
If you go for 3D, then Glide is a good option since it has low CPU overhead. So a Voodoo1 or Voodoo2 with early games would run, maybe even Unreal when upgraded to Dual P233MMX. Still I would be very careful with such power hungry CPUs as I have seen boards die already due to overheated voltage regulators.
You should look up the manual what it lists as maximum upgrade option.

Youtube Channel

Reply 17 of 34, by Stojke

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I see, interesting.
I knew DOS doesnt support Dual CPU, and ive also heard Windows 98 doesn't either.
Once it arrives i will take it apart for cleaning and examine what does it have inside it.
This is from the manual, it says nothing about maximum CPU upgrade, neither about voltage:

"Electrical Specifications
Input voltage:
The HP Vectra XU PC is equipped with a 120 W (rated), full range power supply.
This power supply requires an input voltage in the following range:
• 90 Vac to 264 Vac at a frequency of 47 Hz to 63 Hz.
Heat Dissipation:
Maximum thermal dissipation: 130 W equivalent to 111.8 kcal per hour (443.6 BTUs per
hour).
Power Availability (continuous operation):120 W maximum
• For each ISA accessory board:
1.4 A at 5 V
0.13 A at 12 V
0.1 A at –12 V
0.03 A at –5 V.
• For PCI accessory boards:
2 x 5V PCI slots
3.3V supplied for 7.5W/3.3V PCI accessory boards"

I had an Voodoo 3 PCI, but i cant seem to find it 😒

Reply 18 of 34, by Stojke

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Its here 😁

Central Processing Units
Motherboard

Its actually a dual Socket 5 unit, it has 2x 133MHz Pentium processors. It has an ATX PSU, IDE/Floppy/SCSI connectors, integrated LAN and 4x ISA 2x PCI slots.
The internal HDD and CDROM run on SCSI 50pin. The controler is an AMD chip. Hard drive is quantum and has 3GB of storage space and the CDROM is the most pimped up thing ive seen yet. Its so high quality. Floppy has those jumpers for speed selection.
Most of the components are made in Japan.

It has 256kB Burst RAM and on the picture 128MB EDO RAM. I have inserted 2x32MB + 2x16MB modules into the board latter on.
The sound card in it is an AWE64 standard, with 1MB of RAM.
The battery is still OK, it even holds. I think it will last until i desolder it.

Everything is easily removable with as little effort as possible. I cleaned it quite good yesterday, but it still has some "age dirt".

Works very well, the only problem is the damn sockets. Was some one high when they designed the cooler clips?

Reply 19 of 34, by northernosprey02

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Stojke wrote:
Its here :D […]
Show full quote

Its here 😁

Central Processing Units
Motherboard

Its actually a dual Socket 5 unit, it has 2x 133MHz Pentium processors. It has an ATX PSU, IDE/Floppy/SCSI connectors, integrated LAN and 4x ISA 2x PCI slots.
The internal HDD and CDROM run on SCSI 50pin. The controler is an AMD chip. Hard drive is quantum and has 3GB of storage space and the CDROM is the most pimped up thing ive seen yet. Its so high quality. Floppy has those jumpers for speed selection.
Most of the components are made in Japan.

It has 256kB Burst RAM and on the picture 128MB EDO RAM. I have inserted 2x32MB + 2x16MB modules into the board latter on.
The sound card in it is an AWE64 standard, with 1MB of RAM.
The battery is still OK, it even holds. I think it will last until i desolder it.

Everything is easily removable with as little effort as possible. I cleaned it quite good yesterday, but it still has some "age dirt".

Works very well, the only problem is the damn sockets. Was some one high when they designed the cooler clips?

Socket 7 processor are incompatible with Socket 5 due additional pin (321 vs 320). So if you must using Pentium MMX, you should using upgrade socket (probably PowerLeap PL-Pro/MMX support Socket 5 and 7).

Here's the PowerLeap PL-Pro/MMX on sale:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Brand-New-Powerleap-P … bdf721dd&_uhb=1

I am never heard if Pentium 133 can fit on Socket 5.

A triple 430NX? I never see this motherboard before 😳