VOGONS

First post, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

So what would be a good video card for this system? I was thinking first of a Radeon 8500 or GeForce3 Ti but when I looked up some retro reviews of those cards they were being tested in Pentium 4 systems so I am thinking that a 950mhz Athlon will only be bottlenecking those cards. I then started thinking that maybe a Radeon 7500 or GeForce2 Ultra might work out better, or maybe I'm on the wrong track entirely. What would be the best card to pair with a 950mhz Athlon where neither the video card nor the CPU would cause a significant bottleneck?

Reply 1 of 47, by NitroX infinity

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

950MHz Athlon's are from around the middle of 2000 so a GeForce2 would be a good companion.

NitroX infinity's 3D Accelerators Arena | Yamaha RPA YGV611 & RPA2 YGV612 Info

Reply 2 of 47, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Keep in mind I'm not necessarily trying to be period correct, I want the CPU and video card to both be able to run flat out without holding each other back so a slightly later video card might actually be the best match for this CPU.

Reply 4 of 47, by elianda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Something like a Geforce 2 GTS or Pro/Ultra/Ti if it should be a bit faster.

Retronn.de - Vintage Hardware Gallery, Drivers, Guides, Videos. Now with file search
Youtube Channel
FTP Server - Driver Archive and more
DVI2PCIe alignment and 2D image quality measurement tool

Reply 5 of 47, by subhuman@xgtx

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

get a GTS or a Ultra, they're quite cheap and "pwn" everything from that period (talking about speed & general IQ- not AA) besides the original Radeon, which catches up with it at 32bpp color modes

Reply 6 of 47, by Filosofia

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

MX flavoured Geforce4 should do the trick also.

@luckybob I'd say... 1GHz for the Voodoo2? Sometimes I found people who state having cooling problems with voodoo2 paired with such data pumping speed, do you have extra cooling? O is it a mith?

Reply 7 of 47, by luckybob

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Filosofia wrote:

@luckybob I'd say... 1GHz for the Voodoo2? Sometimes I found people who state having cooling problems with voodoo2 paired with such data pumping speed, do you have extra cooling? O is it a mith?

I believe it is one of those things, where if you get enough people saying something people start believing its the truth. Its how republicians generate news.

*rimshot*

But seriously, I have small stick on heatsinks with good case airflow. Anything more than that is overkill. That said, if I ever find one of those triangle coolers for cheap, that would be fun.

It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.

Reply 8 of 47, by subhuman@xgtx

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
luckybob wrote:
I believe it is one of those things, where if you get enough people saying something people start believing its the truth. Its […]
Show full quote
Filosofia wrote:

I believe it is one of those things, where if you get enough people saying something people start believing its the truth. Its how republicians generate news.

*rimshot*

But seriously, I have small stick on heatsinks with good case airflow. Anything more than that is overkill. That said, if I ever find one of those triangle coolers for cheap, that would be fun.

No, it's not bullshit, it's true. My Obsidian2 200SBI (which is on my Athlon 2800 system) gets really hot after 10minutes of playing Quake3 running at the default 90mhz clock, even though I have a Thermaltake Armor case 😵

A 1ghz P3 is fine though.

Reply 9 of 47, by Filosofia

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
luckybob wrote:
I believe it is one of those things, where if you get enough people saying something people start believing its the truth. Its […]
Show full quote
Filosofia wrote:

*rimshot*

So you admit republicans are partially right ( 🤣 ): I mean at what speed should they complain, 2GHz, 3GHz?

I'm currently messing around with this Alladin mobo, it has TNT2 onboard which seems quite happy with 733~1000MHz PIII , so sliderider you also have a choice of TNT2 if you fancy it, but I'd probably would go with a geforce, on other hand I've always been a fan of Matrox, so I would try some of those G400 MAX if I could get it, I only have simple one and its the 16MB version ) 😒

Savage4 and Rage 128 Pro also would be good I think.

Reply 10 of 47, by elianda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I never had problems with V2 SLI on a fast system overheating. Some air flow should be there anyway.
Also I think a Obsidian2 200SBI gets hot quickly also in a slower computer.

As for the graphics card, you may also choose a Voodoo5 5500 instead of a GF2.

Retronn.de - Vintage Hardware Gallery, Drivers, Guides, Videos. Now with file search
Youtube Channel
FTP Server - Driver Archive and more
DVI2PCIe alignment and 2D image quality measurement tool

Reply 11 of 47, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

AMD 750 has some AGP errata that causes problems similar to Super 7 boards. I've had problems with Radeon 7500 and Geforce 256 on my ASUS K7M (750). Instability and even visual anomalies with T&L.

I suggest Voodoo 3-5. Voodoo5 AGP works flawlessly for my board.

Reply 12 of 47, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
luckybob wrote:
Show full quote
Filosofia wrote:

*rimshot*

I had almost forgotten about that. I think we had some thread about the dangers of sticking a Voodoo2 in a Pentium 4, but I can't seem to find it anymore. Was it workable at all?

EDIT: Here we are, I think.
Voodoo2 vs modern motherboards

Reply 13 of 47, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
luckybob wrote:
Show full quote
Filosofia wrote:

*rimshot*

I think you mean Democrats. You know, lies like global warming, the viability of green energy, and how it's the government's job to take care of everyone.

Reply 14 of 47, by luckybob

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
sliderider wrote:
luckybob wrote:
Show full quote
Filosofia wrote:

*rimshot*

I think you mean Democrats. You know, lies like global warming, the viability of green energy, and how it's the government's job to take care of everyone.

RFwiC.jpg

It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.

Reply 15 of 47, by petro89

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

As mentioned, the old irongate slot-A boards had issues with higher-power AGP cards. You had to set the AGP rate to 1x, and turn fast write and other settings off...and even then it wasn't completely stable. I had a couple different 750 boards and none would work with anything like a GF1 or GF2. I was able to run any voodoo card, a rage fury maxx, a GF2MX and a GF4MX with no issues.

A voodoo 5 would be a great fit I think...

*Ryzen 9 3900xt, 5700xt, Win10
*Ryzen 7 2700x, Gtx1080, Win10
*FX 9590, Vega64, Win10
*Phenom IIx6 1100T, R9 380, Win7
*QX9770, r9 270x, Win7
*FX60, hd5850, Win7
*XP2400+, ti4600, Win2k
*PPro 200 1mb, banshee, w98
*AMD 5x86, CL , DOS

Reply 16 of 47, by Old Thrashbarg

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

A voodoo 5 would be a great fit I think...

I agree. That's what I have in my Slot A system. I don't know about the 750 chipset specifically... mine's got the KX133 which has its own set of problems and compatibility issues, but at any rate, the V5 gets along with just about anything, and it's quite well matched to a 1ghz-ish CPU.

Reply 17 of 47, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Maybe I'll use one of my Radeon 9100 PCI cards. They are in the same performance category as a GeForce2 Ultra without any of the AGP issues and has DX 8.1 support where GF2 Ultra only supports DX 7. I also have PCI V1, V2, Banshee, V3,V4, and V5 cards if I want to add glide compatibility.

Reply 18 of 47, by KT7AGuy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
sliderider wrote:

I am thinking that a 950mhz Athlon will only be bottlenecking those cards.

sliderider wrote:

What would be the best card to pair with a 950mhz Athlon where neither the video card nor the CPU would cause a significant bottleneck?

I could be totally wrong about this. If I am, I do hope that somebody would correct me.

(PSU considerations aside)
Anyways, when we're talking about GF2s, GF3s, and GF4s, they all cost about the same nowadays, use the same drivers, and none of them run GLIDE. Why not just get the fastest card for your money? It's not like a GF4 is going to run slower than a GF2 in your system. It will only maintain the same speed or go faster. Who cares if it gets "bottlenecked". At least with a really fast card, you know that you'll be using your CPU to 100% of its full potential, even if the video card might only be operating at half its full potential.

My recommendation for your system: Voodoo 5 5500. That way, you'll get GLIDE compatibility.

Reply 19 of 47, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Sliderider is probably mostly after a period-accurate setup. So a GeForce 256 would fit in with that.

There is indeed little reason to choose a GeForce prior to GeForce FX even. GeForce 6 does have quirks with some old D3D features though. And all of the Radeons are poor choices for pre-D3D7 and many OpenGL games.

Voodoo5 is of course another story compared to the other retro GPUs. It has some serious value for that game era.