VOGONS

Reply 40 of 47, by luckybob

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

It never ceases to amaze me just how easy it is to start an argument over computer parts. The geforce vs V5 debate is probably older than the cards themselves.

Beating-a-dead-horse.gif

I would still recommend going with a Matrox G200 and a pair of voodoo 2's.

It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.

Reply 41 of 47, by elfuego

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
luckybob wrote:
It never ceases to amaze me just how easy it is to start an argument over computer parts. The geforce vs V5 debate is probably […]
Show full quote

It never ceases to amaze me just how easy it is to start an argument over computer parts. The geforce vs V5 debate is probably older than the cards themselves.

Beating-a-dead-horse.gif

Admit it - its still as fun as ever 😁

Edit: I liked the gif so I googled a bit:

www.urbandictionary.com wrote:
4. beating a dead horse 107 up, 110 down an act of sexual perversion combining bestiality, necrophilia and sado-mashocism. A […]
Show full quote

4. beating a dead horse 107 up, 110 down

an act of sexual perversion combining bestiality, necrophilia and sado-mashocism.
A government study was funded to study various sexual perversions: sado-masochism, necrophilia and bestiality. The study was soon halted however ... the researchers decided they were just beating a dead horse.

Reply 42 of 47, by Filosofia

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

That's a joke right?

Anyway, even-though some discussions can be had knowingly there will be no possible settlement (I laugh till my stomach heart and couldn't breathe listening to some discussions about which is better FIFA or PES 🤣 ) it's always fun to look at such diverging opinions.
Yes , matters of taste also exist in retrogaming, so about wich cards: whatever makes you happy 🙄 (but go with geforce2 and SLI V2)

Reply 43 of 47, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
F2bnp wrote:

I'd definitely go with the 6600 or 6800, great cards and you always get DVI.

GeForce 6 doesn't support 8-bit palettized textures which will blow up some old D3D games. GeForce FX still has support.

Last edited by swaaye on 2013-01-17, 18:41. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 44 of 47, by elfuego

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
swaaye wrote:
F2bnp wrote:

I'd definitely go with the 6600 or 6800, great cards and you always get DVI.

I'll say it yet again 😉 - GeForce 6 has compatibility problems with some old games. It doesn't have support for 8-bit palettized textures. GeForce 256 through FX have support so I say go for GeForce FX 5700-5900.

If that is so, go for 5800 Ultra. You can also use it as a hair dryer or a spare jet engine 🤣 You just gotta love the sound that card produces 😏

Jokes' aside, what known games utilize such textures?

Reply 45 of 47, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Final Fantasy 7 comes to mind.

Palettized textures are basically a remnant of 3dfx dominance, just like D3D fog table. This is another reason to never consider ATI because they don't support either feature with any Radeon. NV supports both until GeForce6 which drops 8-bit palette textures.

Reply 47 of 47, by PowerPie5000

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
luckybob wrote:
Filosofia wrote:

Ok, a Geforce2 ultra and a pair of V2 then? 😐

I'd get a matorx card, like the 450

The Matrox G400 Max is better 😉 .

Anyway, i'd probably plump for a Geforce 2 GTS/Ultra (or maybe Radeon 7200/7500?) along with a pair of Voodoo2 cards in SLI. Having a card that supports hardware T&L can come in handy with some of the later Win95/98 games 😀 .