VOGONS

First post, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Hiya!

I am facing a problem with the VI11 1.1 mobo I am testing... no matter what I do , I can't get the onboard 256kb L2 cache to be enabled and used 😖

The motherboard is this one: http://motherboards.mbarron.net/models/486vlb3/vi11.htm and all sram sockets are occupied with 32kb chips.

I have tried so far:
a. 2 different 256kb sram sets
b. setting the jumpers to 128kb or randomly
c. having the BIOS external cache option on or off

nothing seems to help, L2 cache is invisible... is there a setting I am forgetting or something? Here are some shots of the BIOS , boot sequence and cachechk program...

2vvs94l.jpg

14b0yds.jpg

2hzr4ib.jpg

6z591t.jpg

I am using the mobo with 8x1mb 30pin simms , an ancient isa vga and a vlb controller with only one 1.44mb floppy connected which boots a minimal startup diskette....

any ideas? 😊

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 2 of 9, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I tried it too (forgot to mention it) , if I jumper it down then the speed goes down (turbo = off) without changing the current L2 cache situation (it's off)

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 3 of 9, by NitroX infinity

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Could this be one of those cheap motherboards with fake onboard cache?

NitroX infinity's 3D Accelerators Arena | Yamaha RPA YGV611 & RPA2 YGV612 Info

Reply 4 of 9, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

^ I thought of that and I tried another 256kb cache set from another mobo (untested but seems that it had it's cache upgraded from 128kb to 256kb - 4 chips are different set that the rest four and tag sram - who would upgrade fake chips?) , and still I got no results... both sram sets don't look fake or cheap in any way...

Reply 5 of 9, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

meh... today I tried erasing cmos, enabling/disabling various caching options, enabling/disabling autoconfig etc... nothing helped. Either I have 3 sets of fake 256kb cache chips or I am missing something obvious and embarrassing 🤣

Reply 6 of 9, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I finally found why L2 was invisible on this mobo, turns out it was one damaged track 😀 it was connecting sram with the 74F245 , I rebuilt it and it works now 😁

2yl3gqf.jpg

Reply 7 of 9, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Are you serious? How did you find this, that's quite an accomplishment 😀

My website with reviews, demos, drivers, tutorials and more...
My YouTube channel

Reply 8 of 9, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

nothing special really, noticed the fault and traced the points on the other side of the mobo... soldered a wire and it works! now it is time for an all-night memtest session 😁

Reply 9 of 9, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

allright! after ~17hrs of memtest things look good!

IMG02219-20130524-0908_zps7f120f7e.jpg

this is the temporary patch work to test the mobo:

IMG02221-20130524-1019_zps1766f650.jpg

and this is the final repair :

IMG02224-20130524-1054_zps90b8fe78.jpg

IMG02226-20130524-1054_zps2e00479d.jpg