VOGONS

First post, by silentwulf

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Just got my hands on a (massive) 486 tower, and want to know if any of y'all have any suggestions on installing two soundcards into this thing?

The box has SoundBlaster 16 knock-off (Max16), and I'd like to also pop in my Gravis Ultrasound PnP card. I know that the cards obviously can't share the same hardware addresses and such, but can they both co-exist without conflict?

Currently has Dos 6.0 installed (Or 6.22).

Reply 1 of 13, by DonutKing

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Yes, its quite common to run multiple soundcards in your DOS machine, especially with Gravis cards as their sound blaster emulation isn't great.
I used to run a SB16 and a GUS Classic in mine. It's just a matter of giving them seperate IO address ranges, IRQ and DMA channels. Then configuring your games to use the appropriate card.
I did find the GUS was much louder than the SB16 was so you may want to invest in an external mixer.

If you are squeamish, don't prod the beach rubble.

Reply 2 of 13, by 5u3

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Actually I think there are more GUS cards in systems together with SB than without. 😉

The GUS PnP is a resource hog, but fortunately all the unnecessary/redundant stuff can be deactivated and the two IRQs/DMAs can be shared, so you may get away with only one I/O range, one IRQ and one DMA for the GUS.

In case you are not familiar with the GUS PnP yet, I recommend installing the GUS alone first, trying to avoid the resources you need for the SB16 clone.

Reply 4 of 13, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Battled it out recently to get a GUS PnP work next to an AWE64. I know that the GUS is loved my many, but seriously that card is a pain to get going sometimes. I could only manage it with help from others and doing it through the "backdoor way" by editing ini files and whatnot and configured it so I just ran a GUS.BAT when I need the GUS support.

We warned 😁

I'm on the lookout for a GUS ACE now. It should be much easier to work side by side with a Sound Blaster.

My website with reviews, demos, drivers, tutorials and more...
My YouTube channel

Reply 5 of 13, by elianda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

From my experience, the installer is just good to depack the files ones and to give a template for a config.
Everything else is always ini file editing and writing some batch with the appropriate calls.
Never expect that an installer finishes with the correct configuration and everything is set. Usually an installer is a quick and dirty bug ridden program that was hacked together in the last moment before release to get a default configuration that was tested by the developers by ini file editing and batch writing written to disk. So every installer assumes that the card is the only one in the system, it will usually f... up your config.sys and/or autoexec.bat and you will have to edit them anyway to get the changes to the correct locations. So the best way to install a sound card is to do it without running the installer.

Retronn.de - Vintage Hardware Gallery, Drivers, Guides, Videos. Now with file search
Youtube Channel
FTP Server - Driver Archive and more
DVI2PCIe alignment and 2D image quality measurement tool

Reply 7 of 13, by silentwulf

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Been a long time since this thread 😜
But as the situation sits now...I'm using a Gravis Classic, and a real SB16 (no PnP).

I've been able to get them to co-exist fairly well for the most part...but there seem to be some minor conflicts that the PC is complaining about.

I do know if I run the GUS setup, it'll run through testing the ports/addresses fine...but when it starts to test SB/MT-32 emulation....it "fails".
Naturally...I don't want emulation (I have the real things). Would the tool EEPROM work on a Gravis Classic? It worked wonders on my GUS PnP.

Also...Ultramid doesn't seem to work...at all. Can't load it o.o'

Reply 8 of 13, by fillosaurus

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

My Yamaha SW20-PC and GUS ACE combo worked well in DOS. The only trouble I had with it was in Linux, long time ago. And it was just a small and hilarious problem which did not affected functionality.
Yamaha has an AD1848 codec, same was used on GUS MAX, and the Linux kernel believed I had an OPL4 card and a GUS MAX, instead of OPTI 928+AD1848+OPL4 and GUS ACE.

Last edited by fillosaurus on 2013-02-28, 08:54. Edited 1 time in total.

Y2K box: AMD Athlon K75 (second generation slot A)@700, ASUS K7M motherboard, 256 MB SDRAM, ATI Radeon 7500+2xVoodoo2 in SLI, SB Live! 5.1, VIA USB 2.0 PCI card, 40 GB Seagate HDD.
WIP: external midi module based on NEC wavetable (Yamaha clone)

Reply 10 of 13, by fillosaurus

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Did you insert SET ULTRADIR=..... in autoexec.bat?

Y2K box: AMD Athlon K75 (second generation slot A)@700, ASUS K7M motherboard, 256 MB SDRAM, ATI Radeon 7500+2xVoodoo2 in SLI, SB Live! 5.1, VIA USB 2.0 PCI card, 40 GB Seagate HDD.
WIP: external midi module based on NEC wavetable (Yamaha clone)

Reply 12 of 13, by elianda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

So Ultramid.ini and ultrasnd.ini is present there?
And the path in those files is also correct?

You may try Megaem as it also implements the ultramid functionality required for AIL games.

Retronn.de - Vintage Hardware Gallery, Drivers, Guides, Videos. Now with file search
Youtube Channel
FTP Server - Driver Archive and more
DVI2PCIe alignment and 2D image quality measurement tool