VOGONS

First post, by orcish75

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hi Everyone,

I was wandering if anyone has this particular card and if it's any good?

http://www.amoretro.de/wp-content/uploads/201 … l3_azt2316r.jpg

I've really been trying hard to find any info on it pertaining to DOS games, sound quality and does the MPU-401 need a tsr program, etc.

It looks like it could be a nice DOS card, genuine OPL3, wavetable header, IDE port, WSS and from what I can understand SB Pro compatibility.

Any info would be welcome.

Cheers

Reply 1 of 4, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

While I haven't got this card, I can recommend another card with similar features. The Audician 32. You can find it on eBay, new in box, with drivers. It's a Yamaha based card and I can highly recommend it.

One benefit of the Aztech is the higher wavetable connector. It means you can fit most / all cards without issues.

My website with reviews, demos, drivers, tutorials and more...
My YouTube channel

Reply 2 of 4, by orcish75

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Thanks for the reply!

I have that exact card, I bought it about 6 months ago, it's great. The Audician has the YMF-718 but there were a couple of games that didn't work 100% with it. Populous II comes to mind. It would play the sound effects in the intro, but not the FM music. On some games, the digital audio would be badly distorted. I'll check again next week and do some tests, I've been playing with my Amigas for the last couple of months, so it's time for a change and play some retro PC games again.

My one Intel Pentium motherboard has the YMF-719 and OPL4 onboard and that chip works 100% fine with all the games that didn't work with the YMF-718. In fact, it's probably been the best overall DOS soundcard I've got, the only issue is that the OPL4 is a 1MB ROM and the mobo doesn't have a wavetable header.

I was really curious about the Aztech card as it looks like it could be a great little card, assuming that it all works as it should in DOS mode! I'll probably buy it anyway to test.

If anyone has any info, please let me know.

Cheers 😎

Reply 3 of 4, by ratfink

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I have V1.1a of that card, used to think it was fantastic but it was my first soundcard. Trying to get a more modern system to sound like it is what led me to vogons and wasting so much time with retro gear. 😁

However I haven't used the card for 10 years. 🤣

Mine seems to have been sold as an MM Pro 16 IIA, I still have the manual and floppies somewhere. It came with a new Pentium 100 Bull PC I got for home use from my employer in about 1995.

Mine is very dusty - picture in this thread: Aztech cards

Reply 4 of 4, by orcish75

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Excellent! I've bought it and I'll report back with my findings when I receive it. It seems that they've had multiple names for the same card, the FCC ID on your card and the one I've just bought is identical.

The dust is cool, adds to it's "Retroness" 😁