VOGONS

First post, by PowerPie5000

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Anyone know where i can find a 40mm 5V fan with a mini/micro 3-pin connector? The fan on my Matrox G400 Max is driving me crazy! It's a 5V Aavid fan and is the same type/model found on the 3dfx Voodoo 4 & 5 boards.

I want to avoid the ghetto route of hacking up cables and using odd sized or under/over volted fans etc... 😁

Reply 1 of 5, by PowerPie5000

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

It's difficult trying to find a 40x40x7mm 5V fan with a mini (or micro?) 3-pin connector... I've seen maybe one or two, but the prices are ridiculous 😒.

Reply 3 of 5, by PowerPie5000

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Hatta wrote:

I don't think my G400 has a fan. You might consider using just a big passive heat sink and some thermal adhesive

It's only the G400 Max that has a fan, the standard G400 doesn't need one (lower clocks)... I might not bother now as i'm thinking about replacing the card anyway 🤣

Reply 4 of 5, by PowerPie5000

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I decided to replace the fan with a standard 40mm 3-pin type (and apply Arcitc MX-4 to the old heatsink). It fits fine, but i now have it plugged into one of the motherboard fan headers since it's 12V (there's a fan header conveniently located next to the AGP slot 😀) . If it was 5V then i could have attached a mini/micro 3-pin connector and plugged it directly into the G400, but it seems ok the way it is for now 😎.

Reply 5 of 5, by kolano

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Keep on supporting that G400. I still miss my old one, was my first 3d card purchase.

Had been trying to get the fairy demo running on my nVidia GeForce GTX 580, but even with the config modified to allow runs off of a G400 it doesn't work out.