VOGONS

SpaceOrb 360

Topic actions

First post, by F2bnp

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Any thoughts on this controller? I've been pretty intrigued since I first read about it, but I've never had the chance to try it. Playing Descent with this thing sounds pretty amazing!

Does anyone know where to get hold of one online?

Reply 1 of 6, by KT7AGuy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I almost replied with info about an old, but similar, CAD controller I remembered reading about in the 1990s. However, I found this:

Seeking Space Orb 360 drivers/software

One of the posts there includes a (still-working) link to a driver for it.

Reply 3 of 6, by KT7AGuy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Please reply and let us know how it works out.

I liked the idea of Descent, but could never get into it because I always found the controls difficult. I would also get motion sickness playing it.

Perhaps with that Space Orb controller, it might become bearable for me. I might grab one based on your pending review.

Thanks!

Reply 5 of 6, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I remember playing Descent during our computing class when I was a kid. Only towards the end of the lesson. I was the only who set up a keyboard + mouse control and totally owned everyone 😁

My website with reviews, demos, drivers, tutorials and more...
My YouTube channel

Reply 6 of 6, by NamelessPlayer

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I can play Descent with KB+M reasonably well, but it still just doesn't feel right to me without the SpaceOrb 360 set up properly on the original releases of the game.

A modern source port like D2X-XL or DXX-Rebirth paired with my 3Dconnexion SpacePilot still feels all wrong to me because my turn speeds feel so gimped. (Then again, if there's one thing I've found from browsing DescentBB, it's that the people there consider using the SpaceOrb-or a mouse on the Mac port-to be cheating...)