VOGONS

First post, by sirlemonhead

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hi,

It looks as if my S3 Trio from my Pentium 1 has died 🙁 no video output at all from it anymore. It's definitely the card as the machine runs fine with a PCI TNT 2 that I have.

I guess I could leave the TNT 2 in there.. I know it's overkill but I really have no other use for the card..but is there anything that'd be better than that for this machine? Just for DOS games (Doom 2 and early FPS games mostly) - Which would have the best image quality etc?

Also, is it generally a bad idea to plug in VGA cables while the PC is powered on? I've been doing this for 20 odd years without issue but i'm aware that voltage does go down the VGA lines.. Otherwise i've no idea what happened the Trio 32 card 🙁

Reply 1 of 8, by mr_bigmouth_502

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I've heard that some of the early Nvidia cards actually have decent VESA support, particularly the Riva 128, though I don't know if the TNT2 would be similar in that regard. As for 2D image quality, you can't beat a Matrox. 😁

With VGA cables, I've never had problems with hotplugging them myself, though I know that it's better to plug them in when the hardware is turned off.

Reply 2 of 8, by subhuman@xgtx

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
mr_bigmouth_502 wrote:

I've heard that some of the early Nvidia cards actually have decent VESA support, particularly the Riva 128, though I don't know if the TNT2 would be similar in that regard. As for 2D image quality, you can't beat a Matrox. 😁

With VGA cables, I've never had problems with hotplugging them myself, though I know that it's better to plug them in when the hardware is turned off.

Never had issues with hotpluggin too, but no one knows when something can go wrong 😅

Why not get a Mystique 220 for you p1 system? It'll be both time accurate and give you great 2D quality 😁

Reply 5 of 8, by elfuego

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
F2bnp wrote:

Some games just don't work properly with Matrox cards. Try Commander Keen 4 for example.
I'd say stick with the TNT2, it's VESA support is great!

^^that.
Also, TNT2s' usually have a very nice and sharp 2D display, and 3D is also not too shabby. Some games look better on those then on GFs'

Reply 6 of 8, by subhuman@xgtx

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
sirlemonhead wrote:

Is the Mystique the best one to get then? Don't really see any on ebay but there are a few Milleniums..

Sorry, I didn't read that you were going to play dos games. In that case, the guys are right 😅 nvidia's riva 128 and newer cards of them have great vesa support, and well, I imagine that since you are going to play on a 15' monitor, 2d quality won't affect your choice too much